Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of Tight Ends after last nite.
I wonder if Taylor will now incorporate the use of Bengals tight ends more after CJ Uzomah showed out a little bit last night?
Reply/Quote
If the rushing attack is ineffective like last night, it will force them to use all their receiving weapons.

So happy for CJ, though. Coming off the achilles injury, having a career game on National TV. Showed what he can do when given the chance, and teams will have to think about how to defend the TEs as well now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 08:24 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I wonder if Taylor will now incorporate the use of Bengals tight ends more after CJ Uzomah showed out a little bit last night?

Use your head.

With that many targets and completions, it means the TE was already in the plan.  What do you think that Burrow was making up routes on the fly for the TE in the huddle?
Reply/Quote
First 3 games the tight ends were barely looked at! It's a legit observation.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If the rushing attack is ineffective like last night, it will force them to use all their receiving weapons.  

So happy for CJ, though.  Coming off the achilles injury, having a career game on National TV.  Showed what he can do when given the chance, and teams will have to think about how to defend the TEs as well now.

I can't help but think the time spent with Burrow in rehab has helped them be in sync as well. All that time to do nothing but talk about football.
Reply/Quote
I was thinking the same. The game completely changed when they started targeting Uzomah instead of always going to to the WRs.
It was nice to see Taylor's crew make halftime adjustments and attack differently. Hopefully that adjustment continues.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:10 AM)Stewy Wrote: Use your head.

With that many targets and completions, it means the TE was already in the plan.  What do you think that Burrow was making up routes on the fly for the TE in the huddle?

Well…. Actually read they had never practiced that last screen play with the TE as the recipient. Joe made the adjustment and CJ knew what to do…. So in a sense yes they were making it up as they went. (Idk how true it is, but that was something I read right after the game)
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well…. Actually read they had never practiced that last screen play with the TE as the recipient. Joe made the adjustment and CJ knew what to do…. So in a sense yes they were making it up as they went. (Idk how true it is, but that was something I read right after the game)

In an interview with Lapham after the game..CJ and Boyd said they had never had that screen thrown to CJ ever.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:55 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well…. Actually read they had never practiced that last screen play with the TE as the recipient. Joe made the adjustment and CJ knew what to do…. So in a sense yes they were making it up as they went. (Idk how true it is, but that was something I read right after the game)

In empty they expect every player on the field to be able to line up at any spot. Uzomah ended up in a spot where they hadn't practiced that play with him in that spot before but they had practiced the play. 

As to the thread some of it was happenstance, the scramble drill was not necessarily planned for him and obviously the jail break was a check from a different play. I think his other touchdwon was a slide concept so that planned to go to a TE and we have ran that previously in other games this season just not for a TD. In reality, Uzomah was the benefactor of Higgins being out and needing a 3rd option. I don't think he will remain as involved going forward when Higgins returns but I think he provides a threat if we need to get to him we can and be successful. 
Reply/Quote
CJ had a beastly game! He is my game ball winner.

That said, he usually makes me nervous when thrown to. Lol.

Doesn’t seem to have overly reliable hands or the athleticism
to make contested catches; although last night he did for sure!
Reply/Quote

6 targets is not an at the line adjustment - it's gameplan
Reply/Quote
I think you are going to see a new guy almost every week having a big game. We have play makers everywhere on O and Burrow is spreading the ball around nicely. Keep the other team guessing. Hope we work out this first half struggles to score in some games. We got way to many weapons and a QB that can get the ball out and downfield to lay an egg in a half of football.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:48 AM)Stewy Wrote: 6 targets is not an at the line adjustment - it's gameplan

I was mostly just talking that last play. Another big play Joe directed him to get him open which wasn’t by design either. It was last game plan and part taking what the defense was giving.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:51 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was mostly just talking that last play. Another big play Joe directed him to get him open which wasn’t by design either. It was last game plan and part taking what the defense was giving.

I was responding to the original post which was talking about TE use in general and not the last play, so I don't know why you responded to me.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:51 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was mostly just talking that last play. Another big play Joe directed him to get him open which wasn’t by design either. It was last game plan and part taking what the defense was giving.

its nice having a QB that can calmly make accurate throws on the run and make adjustments and improvise when things arent just right. 
That was impressive by Burrow last nite and he is showing great resiliency too. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I was thinking the same. The game completely changed when they started targeting Uzomah instead of always going to to the WRs.
It was nice to see Taylor's crew make halftime adjustments and attack differently. Hopefully that adjustment continues.

Well was that a change in game plan or just burrow moving thru his progression and changing his target
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If the rushing attack is ineffective like last night, it will force them to use all their receiving weapons.  

So happy for CJ, though.  Coming off the achilles injury, having a career game on National TV.  Showed what he can do when given the chance, and teams will have to think about how to defend the TEs as well now.

This applies to TATE.

If you use him, he'll do great things. Tate is technically a TE-WR hybrid.
Reply/Quote
It's a shame CJ didn't get 1 more catch... 5 more yds for a 100 yd game.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 11:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well was that a change in game plan or just burrow moving thru his progression and changing his target

Yea, I think people assume the place the ball goes is the place that was planned and it's not true. I need to watch back through but only 2 of his targets last night I believe he was the 1st target by design. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 11:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, I think people assume the place the ball goes is the place that was planned and it's not true. I need to watch back through but only 2 of his targets last night I believe he was the 1st target by design. 

one of them was Uz  running across the field to bail out the QB so definately not designed.
Reply/Quote