Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Using context to judge this draft
(05-02-2022, 12:21 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote:  I don't think they could have done much better based on where they picked at #31, they could have made a big splash and traded up for Linderbaum and solidified our OL which would help us more to make a run at the SB this year.  That probably would have cost a 3rd rounder, so we would have still got our CB in the second round which we need for depth.  Of course that would have left us thin at DT.

I would've liked this more. Haskell Garrett went undrafted so we could've grabbed him in the 7th.
Reply/Quote
Don’t over think it. The Bengals improved the offense immensely in free agency. Their weakness in 2021 was short yardage, too many third and longs, pass pro, and Redzone difficulty. The OL and Hurst addressed it. The draft addressed the weakness on defense and the division. The QB’s in the AFC are very good. We weren’t fast enough. But we also got smart players and very good tacklers to chase them down. Lou appears to have some schemes in mind to use these new weapons on defense. The run defense late was ridiculously great. If you can stop the run game easily it sure allows you to be creative in pass defense schemes. I can see Hubbard as a spy for Watson and Lamar. Logan Wilson, and 6 DB’s. Britt for Apple and Hill as the third safety. That’s a high level group of tacklers. Hilton, Hill, Bell, and CTB.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 02:42 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote:  He'll be rotational or depth I'd guess, with Reader and BJ taking the bulk of the snaps. 

D-line rotates more than any other position group.  Last year Reader played 59% of the snaps and Ogunjobi 68%.  So a "back up" is likely to play a third of the defensive snaps.  That is a huge role in the success of the defense.

(05-02-2022, 02:42 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote:  I wonder if we'll bring anyone else back to compete in that spot such as Mike Daniels.

We already have Mike Daniels under contract, but he has been almost invisible his two seasons here.  419 snaps with zero sacks, zero hurries, 1 QB knockdown, and 1 TFL.  He might be a former Pro Bowl player, but he is finished.  If he makes the final roster we have problems at DT.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: D-line rotates more than any other position group.  Last year Reader played 59% of the snaps and Ogunjobi 68%.  So a "back up" is likely to play a third of the defensive snaps.  That is a huge role in the success of the defense.

We already have Mike Daniels under contract, but he has been almost invisible his two seasons here.  419 snaps with zero sacks, zero hurries, 1 QB knockdown, and 1 TFL.  He might be a former Pro Bowl player, but he is finished.  If he makes the final roster we have problems at DT.

Mike Daniels is mostly cooked. Without Ogunjobi on the roster however, he may be able to rotate in and out with Carter for a bit.  I wouldn't want him to start.  Without a doubt DL rotation is important and happens often. DL can get gassed quickly.  DT3 and 4 could see the field about 25% to 35% of the time.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:34 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: 100% good teams have less rookies see the field. I was just hoping to see one player that could break out, and who knows, maybe its Dax Hill.

The break out could be anyone. nobody knows right now.. Just a few minor injuries can elevate someone way down the pecking order right up to superstar level just because they might not show in practice what they'll show in live games.. That happens more often than folks realize.. heck, Tom Brady was one of those guys..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like the first 4 picks in draft for the Bengals a lot.

Thought the Bengals may go a different direction in last two rounds but not a big deal to me.

Believe the roster will look right when the season starts. Would like to see another O-line, WR, and RB added still.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't have an issue with this draft class. My trepidation is that we drafted a bunch of players that require scheme and development. Scheme I'm good on, development of players in Cincinnati is something I'm waiting to see.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 06:42 PM)puddycat Wrote: I don't have an issue with this draft class. My trepidation is that we drafted a bunch of players that require scheme and development. Scheme I'm good on, development of players in Cincinnati is something I'm waiting to see.

Logan Wilson?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:58 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I bet Dax hill plays around 50% of the defense snaps.

Also plays on special teams which many overlook
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I just wish the Bengals were as obsessed with the OL as they are the defense.Because,in reality,that’s really all they needed to do,is to just go completely nuts with the OL.Go back and watch some film of the playoffs,and Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:12 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I just wish the Bengals were as obsessed with the OL as they are the defense.Because,in reality,that’s really all they needed to do,is to just go completely nuts with the OL.Go back and watch some film of the playoffs,and Super Bowl.

You speak the truth, even the guard and the center they added are pretty average (at least when they are surrounded by good players on their previous teams), but we were so horrible we get excited about having even average players, they are not good enough to make up for a below average starting LG.  If we have an Adeniji or Carman at LG this line could easily implode again, especially if we have even 1 injury and have to start them both.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 02:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Actually he said..
Make a splash and give up 3rd rounder to move up and draft Linderbaum.

I said nothing at all like that. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:12 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I just wish the Bengals were as obsessed with the OL as they are the defense.Because,in reality,that’s really all they needed to do,is to just go completely nuts with the OL.Go back and watch some film of the playoffs,and Super Bowl.

I was fine with a defensive draft. I just hoped we could get Linderbaum or someone in the 1st. They were all gone so I'm fine with Dax and we needed a corner and I like CTB. But I do wish they put more focus on the oline like the they have the defense as well. They got the 3 free agents and I was fine with the waiting to see how the draft shook out. Last year people made the argument why we didn't get Thuney was because we needed more than 1 piece and had to spread it out. Now this year in the draft we don't add too many pieces and it's because we don't need many pieces. I agree we are close so we have money remaining go out and spend it or make a trade for an oline player like you did BJ Hill last year. We don't have good enough depth on the Oline in my opinion and we need to add more to protect Joe and try and get to the superbowl again. I realize we will probably have to wait a while for anything to happen but I just really hope we're not content with what we have.
Reply/Quote
After last season and the free agent moves for o line I think the management team has earned our trust in their judgment and vision.

There are a lot of very good players we need to sign to second contracts. I am worried about Logan Wilson and Jonah Williams ( left tackles are not easy to find) not to mention the more obvious second contract guys like JB, Chase and Tee.

Sinking top 5 money into safety positions precludes Bengals from keeping one or two of these players. Smart to draft who they drafted under long term vision and salary cap realities.
Reply/Quote
Great background on our draft:
https://www.bengals.com/news/draft-de-briefing-as-bengals-re-set-roster
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:42 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote:  You speak the truth, even the guard and the center they added are pretty average (at least when they are surrounded by good players on their previous teams), but we were so horrible we get excited about having even average players, they are not good enough to make up for a below average starting LG.  If we have an Adeniji or Carman at LG this line could easily implode again, especially if we have even 1 injury and have to start them both.

Compare Cappa and Karras to Hopkins and Spain.As far as their average ratings go,they are very similar.Then you have Collins,which is highly rated,(and I like this guy)but,let’s face it,he’s high risk.Out a full season with hip surgery.Injured his foot.Has been in some trouble with the league.Dallas wanted rid of him.Sure,he’s one of the top Tackles in the league,but there are red flags on this guy.No, I don’t see this as an example of going all out on the OL.Now had they brought in Tretter at Center I would feel much better,but that’s not going to happen.Although,they had the chance to make it happen.

Joe Burrow was extremely fortunate to have not gotten seriously injured this past season.Most sacked Quarterback in the league last year.And the nightmare continued into the playoffs,and into the SB.

Burrow suffers season ending injury,and it’s over.I don’t care how good your defense is.
Reply/Quote
I see people complain about Hill not playing...

But, they wanted Linderbaum. No guarantee he plays. Plus, he has the dreaded short arms that seems to be the harbinger for failure for our lineman.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 11:48 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Compare Cappa and Karras to Hopkins and Spain.As far as their average ratings go,they are very similar.Then you have Collins,which is highly rated,(and I like this guy)but,let’s face it,he’s high risk.Out a full season with hip surgery.Injured his foot.Has been in some trouble with the league.Dallas wanted rid of him.Sure,he’s one of the top Tackles in the league,but there are red flags on this guy.No, I don’t see this as an example of going all out on the OL.Now had they brought in Tretter at Center I would feel much better,but that’s not going to happen.Although,they had the chance to make it happen.

Joe Burrow was extremely fortunate to have not gotten seriously injured this past season.Most sacked Quarterback in the league last year.And the nightmare continued into the playoffs,and into the SB.

Burrow suffers season ending injury,and it’s over.I don’t care how good your defense is.

Honestly, I think they did great on their line additions. There aren't a ton of never injured 24 year old lineman with great pff grades out there willing to sign cheaply.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I said nothing at all like that. 

You're right, atomic said that.

Got you two confused, they did get more wr's and OL as UDFA, some could make the team, most will likely become PS material for future development.

I don't feel that neither of those positions was a NEED during the draft. Yes would have been nice to have more, but let them Get the players they want, better that way in the long run.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:21 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote:  I don't think they could have done much better based on where they picked at #31, they could have made a big splash and traded up for Linderbaum and solidified our OL which would help us more to make a run at the SB this year.  That probably would have cost a 3rd rounder, so we would have still got our CB in the second round which we need for depth.  Of course that would have left us thin at DT.

Per the trade value chart, they would have had to give up our 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th to get to 22 and secure Linderbaum(785.4 vs 780).  Way too much for a C with a number of different issues that could cause him to bust(undersized, historically short arms, poor scheme fit, shotgun snap issues).    
Reply/Quote