Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation ideas
South Padre Island -Texas

Gulf Shores- Alabama

Savannah Georgia

Any one have any insights on these places. We’re just kinda in the beginning stages of planning a nice vacation later this year or early next. Neither one of us have ever been to these places before and are just looking for previous experiences good or bad. Things to do, things to avoid.

We’re not limiting it to these places either, these were just what we were talking about either. Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, have also been mentioned.

Oregon? Utah, Idaho???

It’s been 5 years since our last big vacation. It’s time this guy gets away for awhile and recharge.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Of those three you listed, you could probably get the most bang for your buck in Gulf Shores. They have (I think) the same sugar-white sand and emerald surf that they have in Northwest FL. Savannah could be nice and you could visit "the bench" from the movie "Forrest Gump." My family and I vacationed in Padre Island once, but I was 13 and Nixon was president. It has probably changed quite a bit, but the water there was brown and silver eels swam around. It is also close enough that you can take a day trip to Matamoros, Mexico.

It depends on what type of vacation you want to have. If you want to see antebellum history, go with Savannah. If you want to say you visited the second-most southern place in the U.S., it would be Padre, and if you want a nice, affordable beach vacay, it would be Gulf Shores.

Oh, and Oregon gives you the opportunity to see some spectacular Pacific coast beaches, such as Cannon Beach, the Columbia River Gorge, and other mountain scenery on the same day if you wanted to. They used to not have sales tax, so that makes shopping in Portland fun.
Reply/Quote
Dollywood
Reply/Quote
Savannah and Hilton Head are only 30 miles apart from one another. I've been to Hilton Head a few times with parents. The way we did it....we stayed in Hilton Head and spent a day in Savannah. I golfed a lot on those trips to Hilton Head. I want to say I was about 20ish then. Older brother had small kids with him, and there were some small kids activities......one was crabbing, where you drop a line over a boat edge, and pull it up catching crabs. Sometimes you might see dolphins, etc. Hilton Head also has their lighthouse and relatively small circular marina but its neat to see. The restaurants are nice, the fish in particular. It's been awhile since I've been there, about 30 years or more. For the most part I remember Hilton Head is set up in subdivisions. As you get closer to the water, the price goes up in room cost. The last section where the pros play in the golf tournament is pricey. There is a lot of what people would call, old money, very wealthy people at birth, who live full time near the water.
Reply/Quote
Depending on the duration of your vacation, you can probably go to Maine, get your lobster on, and then take the Atlantic route down to Florida stopping by a few places like Boston, New York City, Delaware, the Carolinas, etc. and sample the local cuisines every few hours until you get to Florida, then take a rout along the Gulf.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 10:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Savannah and Hilton Head are only 30 miles apart from one another.  I've been to Hilton Head a few times with parents.  The way we did it....we stayed in Hilton Head and spent a day in Savannah.  I golfed a lot on those trips to Hilton Head.  I want to say I was about 20ish then.  Older brother had small kids with him, and there were some small kids activities......one was crabbing, where you drop a line over a boat edge, and pull it up catching crabs.  Sometimes you might see dolphins, etc.  Hilton Head also has their lighthouse and relatively small circular marina but its neat to see.  The restaurants are nice, the fish in particular.  It's been awhile since I've been there, about 30 years or more.  For the most part I remember Hilton Head is set up in subdivisions.  As you get closer to the water, the price goes up in room cost.  The last section where the pros play in the golf tournament is pricey.  There is a lot of what people would call, old money, very wealthy people at birth, who live full time near the water.

Can Confirm HHI  (hilton head Island)  is a great vacation location...  Get your Salty Dog on.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Can Confirm HHI  (hilton head Island)  is a great vacation location...  Get your Salty Dog on.

Hilton Head is getting to the point where its so crowded its unbearable these days. Go late or early summer if you do end up going. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 01:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hilton Head is getting to the point where its so crowded its unbearable these days. Go late or early summer if you do end up going. 

ahhh havent been in a few years...      But there was always more Ohio than South Carolina License plates when we did go lol
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:14 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Of those three you listed, you could probably get the most bang for your buck in Gulf Shores. They have (I think) the same sugar-white sand and emerald surf that they have in Northwest FL. Savannah could be nice and you could visit "the bench" from the movie "Forrest Gump." My family and I vacationed in Padre Island once, but I was 13 and Nixon was president. It has probably changed quite a bit, but the water there was brown and silver eels swam around. It is also close enough that you can take a day trip to Matamoros, Mexico.

It depends on what type of vacation you want to have. If you want to see antebellum history, go with Savannah. If you want to say you visited the second-most southern place in the U.S., it would be Padre, and if you want a nice, affordable beach vacay, it would be Gulf Shores.

Oh, and Oregon gives you the opportunity to see some spectacular Pacific coast beaches, such as Cannon Beach, the Columbia River Gorge, and other mountain scenery on the same day if you wanted to. They used to not have sales tax, so that makes shopping in Portland fun.

They still do not have sales tax. Love the Oregon coast!!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 10:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Savannah and Hilton Head are only 30 miles apart from one another.  I've been to Hilton Head a few times with parents.  The way we did it....we stayed in Hilton Head and spent a day in Savannah.  I golfed a lot on those trips to Hilton Head.  I want to say I was about 20ish then.  Older brother had small kids with him, and there were some small kids activities......one was crabbing, where you drop a line over a boat edge, and pull it up catching crabs.  Sometimes you might see dolphins, etc.  Hilton Head also has their lighthouse and relatively small circular marina but its neat to see.  The restaurants are nice, the fish in particular.  It's been awhile since I've been there, about 30 years or more.  For the most part I remember Hilton Head is set up in subdivisions.  As you get closer to the water, the price goes up in room cost.  The last section where the pros play in the golf tournament is pricey.  There is a lot of what people would call, old money, very wealthy people at birth, who live full time near the water.

Charleston is close by too and I live up close to Columbia ( AM NOT a vacation destination except for my daughter..and her kids)
Kind of depends on time of year though and what direction you wanna go.. Example..NOLA in August? Just get drunk in a bar on Bourbon St.. 
Minneapolis in February.. You get the idea.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: Charleston is close by too and I live up close to Columbia ( AM NOT a vacation destination except for my daughter..and her kids)
Kind of depends on time of year though and what direction you wanna go.. Example..NOLA in August? Just get drunk in a bar on Bourbon St.. 

Sometimes you can get lucky on those "wrong" choices, though, and find a great last-minute deal.  I went to Minneapolis a couple of years ago on a whim in November.  I'd never been, it's not the season to visit so flights were about $40 roundtrip, and the weather was low-70s.  So I booked and had a fun time.  

But I recognize this isn't that kind of trip...  

If you're into the beach scene, I'd recommend Gulf Shores.  Affordable places to stay, plenty of activities, and beautiful beaches and water (swimming and snorkeling options).  Definitely caters to the tourist scene, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  

The Oregon coast has been mentioned as well.  I'd say Northern California and Oregon both offer options for a non-touristy trip.  AirBnB and stay in a small town and it won't feel like you're just another person in a mass invasion of a town in the summer.  The coastline there is beautiful, but the water is frigid.  Some really good food and drink up that way, and a quieter getaway. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: Charleston is close by too and I live up close to Columbia ( AM NOT a vacation destination except for my daughter..and her kids)

Whereabouts near Columbia? I live just outside of Charlotte. 2 miles from SC border.
Reply/Quote
Maui, the answer is always Maui..

(If you have lots of $ to spend)
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: South Padre Island -Texas

Gulf Shores- Alabama

Savannah Georgia

Any one have any insights on these places. We’re just kinda in the beginning stages of planning a nice vacation later this year or early next.  Neither one of us have ever been to these places before and are just looking for previous experiences good or bad.  Things to do, things to avoid.

We’re not limiting it to these places either, these were just what we were talking about either.  Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, have also been mentioned.  

Oregon? Utah, Idaho???

It’s been 5 years since our last big vacation.  It’s time this guy gets away for awhile and recharge.

Savannah is wonderful.  Not a huge amount to do, but it's slow comforting and beautiful.  We spent a night there on our honeymoon and we loved it.  The peach wine was very good.  :)

Boston is one of my favorite cities.  Lots to do before COVID but not sure how much it has opened up.

Utah - some of the most awe inspiring National Parks in the Country if not the world.  SW Utah is dense  with unique and beautiful National Parks  (Canton Lands, Arches, Zion etc.).  Grand Canyon gets all the press, but SW Utah has the density.

Idaho - Ketchum Idaho, Home of Sun Valley in the Sawtooth Mountains.  Fly into Jackson Wyoming, stand in awe of the Teton Mountains, head North to Yellowstone and spend a day or two there, drive West across Idaho and experience the Craters of the Moon National Monument with Ketchum and Sun Valley as your final destination.  The geology is incredible, the scenery beautiful and the air clean as it gets in the continental US.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: South Padre Island -Texas

Gulf Shores- Alabama

Savannah Georgia

Any one have any insights on these places. We’re just kinda in the beginning stages of planning a nice vacation later this year or early next.  Neither one of us have ever been to these places before and are just looking for previous experiences good or bad.  Things to do, things to avoid.

We’re not limiting it to these places either, these were just what we were talking about either.  Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, have also been mentioned.  

Oregon? Utah, Idaho???

It’s been 5 years since our last big vacation.  It’s time this guy gets away for awhile and recharge.

It depends a lot on what you want to do?

For instance Gatlinberg and Land Between the Lakes are great if you just want to chill.

Looking for oceanfront? Then you can't go wrong with Corpus Christi or Jacksonville, FL.

The Continental divide in Colorado will take your breath away

Want to get away from it all? Go to Mackinac Island

Want to golf....You get the idea
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:14 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Of those three you listed, you could probably get the most bang for your buck in Gulf Shores. They have (I think) the same sugar-white sand and emerald surf that they have in Northwest FL. Savannah could be nice and you could visit "the bench" from the movie "Forrest Gump." My family and I vacationed in Padre Island once, but I was 13 and Nixon was president. It has probably changed quite a bit, but the water there was brown and silver eels swam around. It is also close enough that you can take a day trip to Matamoros, Mexico.

The bench has been removed due to the crowds, but you can still go to the intersection.

To the OP, we did the area for my better half's birthday a few years ago.  We rented a house on Tybee Island, a small island roughly 20 minutes or so east of the city.  Our intent was to split out time 50/50 between the two places, but we ended up only doing one day in Savannah because we REALLY enjoyed just relaxing on the island, everyday kicking back on the beach.  And in that day we really saw most of what we wanted to see.  Only big thing we missed from our list was a night time ghost tour.  Ubers were easy to catch from Savannah to Tybee, but not as easy to catch on the island.  But on our second to last full day we found there are multiple "taxi" services that will take you around the island.  Breezy Taxi was pretty fun to use.  Literally call the number and pay $2 a head or something like that to ride in a tie dye looking short bus with all the windows down.  Apparently the service started off in a golf cart!  Oh yeah, you can rent kayaks and golf carts as well.  Kayaking out to Little Tybee Island with dolphins racing you is pretty fun.  
Reply/Quote
Been to South Padre Island a couple of times. Beautiful little island, and very much catered to visitors.

Avoid the Coral Reef bar if you're not a heavy smoker, fwiw. If you go, you have to try the Grape Vine Cafe's breakfast tacos/burritos. There's a little Italian place (me and the wife think it's called Isabella's, but that doesn't seem right to me). There's a cut little Gelato place that has a bunch of good flavors. Rent a golf cart - driving a car is a nightmare (the speed limit is 25 inside the city proper). Sea Turtle Rescue is a cool little place to check out - they have a bunch of sea turtles they couldn't re-release due to extensive injuries and they have some really creative prosthetics for them. Depending on when you go, you can watch Space X launches from the jetty, too.
Reply/Quote
Are children involved. That always changes everything.

When my kids were so small all they needed was a beach and a swimming pool we used to go to Folly Island (next to Charlston SC). It was very laid back with no real "attractions" other than Dolphin Cruises and stuff like that.

When they got older we started going to the Myrtle Beach area. It was nothing but traffic and crowds. But there was more stuff there for the kids to do and see.
Reply/Quote

We went down ever summer when I was growing up and stayed in the Harbor Town plantation (actually across the street from the big course on the harbor). My family all played golf, and we weren't rich yet, but we got a few rounds on two courses in Sea Pines (and one or two rounds per week on the big course, which I never got to play). We'd always love going to Shuckers because on Wednesdays(?) they had all-you-can-eat crab legs.

My parents are always down there now and live in luxury but both were actually born into poverty and then my old man went to college on academic scholarship, was an accountant, became a partner, and then got rich, so not like he was born rich.

(03-16-2022, 01:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hilton Head is getting to the point where its so crowded its unbearable these days. Go late or early summer if you do end up going. 

Really?  

That sucks. My parents have a house down there and I think my brother also has one now.
Reply/Quote
You really can't go wrong with Padre or most of the "islands" down there. I've always preferred Port Aransas/Mustang Island over the rest but it just comes down to personal preference....but as long as you aren't staying in Galveston, they're all perfect places to be.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote