Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Validation and Confidence
Is beating KC/Andy Reid 3 straight times in 12 months a bigger validation of how good the Bengals are than going to last years SB? From a national perspective? The Bengals in their last 2 games ( Titans/Chiefs) have won the fourth quarter 17-3.

Say what you want 740Bengal and Tony about Zac Taylor and others on his play calling but in big games late in the season and in fourth quarters ( especially during last years playoff run) the team has been clutch. Of course Joe’s Joe Cool. But the head coach sets the tone. He’s the one who coined right after the Titans win in the locker room “ they’ve got to play us” . You can see the confidence this team has reached and Taylor as well as Joe get credit for the huge transformation from their dark days.

Yesterday was one of their better game plans. The Tyler Boyd drop was a beautiful play call and design they obviously planned to use Sunday. The Chris Evans touchdown was beautifully designed. Until he got hurt it looked like their focus was to use Hayden Hurst a lot.

The bottom line is coaches are certainly helped by their QB & playmakers. How was Andy Reid with Alex Smith? How is Bill Belicheck w/o Tom Brady? How’s Sean McVay doing with injuries this year? Kinda reminiscent of Taylor’s year 2? A big deal in this Bengals team is the culture in the locker room. If there’s anything that Taylor’s contributed to more it’s that. He’s the one who spearheaded the focus on captains in the draft, hard workers in FA, and got rid of locker room problems. He’s the one who instructed the scouts to specifically observe players interacting on the bench and sideline and thoroughly interview and research their character.

But back to the question? Is beating KC 3 times in 12 months recognized as a bigger validation than making the SB? Good discussion
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:35 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Is beating KC/Andy Reid 3 straight times in 12 months a bigger validation of how good the Bengals are than going to last years SB? From a national perspective? The Bengals in their last 2 games ( Titans/Chiefs) have won the fourth quarter 17-3.

Say what you want 740Bengal and Tony about Zac Taylor and others on his play calling but in big games late in the season and in fourth quarters ( especially during last years playoff run) the team has been clutch. Of course Joe’s Joe Cool. But the head coach sets the tone. He’s the one who coined right after the Titans win in the locker room “ they’ve got to play us” . You can see the confidence this team has reached and Taylor as well as Joe get credit for the huge transformation from their dark days.

Yesterday was one of their better game plans. The Tyler Boyd drop was a beautiful play call and design they obviously planned to use Sunday. The Chris Evans touchdown was beautifully designed. Until he got hurt it looked like their focus was to use Hayden Hurst a lot.

The bottom line is coaches are certainly helped by their QB & playmakers. How was Andy Reid with Alex Smith? How is Bill Belicheck w/o Tom Brady? A big deal in this Bengals team is the culture in the locker room. If there’s anything that Taylor’s contributed to more it’s that. He’s the one who spearheaded the focus on captains in the draft, hard workers in FA, and got rid of locker room problems. He’s the one who instructed the scouts to specifically observe players interacting on the bench and sideline and thoroughly interview and research their character.

But back to the question? Is beating KC 3 times in 12 months recognized as a bigger validation than making the SB? Good discussion

Agree on all points presented. As for the validation, I do believe for the general fan, yesterday was a bigger validation. So many fans, including KC fans until yesterday, looked at last year as a fluke and as lucky. There were even some Bengals posters here who claimed the Bengals were lucky in their wins. But three wins against KC is a big wake up call that last year was not a fluke or based on luck. This team is really, really good.
Reply/Quote
I was 50-50 going into this game if we would win. Not only did we spank their azzes, we did it in a game where almost the whole country got the broadcast.
Reply/Quote
I look forward to all the mental gymnastics and twisting and turning and "see, you gotta realize..." from all the power rankings people on why KC is still higher than Cincy in their power rankings. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Knowing that we had many mistakes and still won, gives me confidence. 2 dropped INTS, 1 stone cold dropped TD, a drive that came away with no points inside the 10, and we still won by 3 with the ball in our hands to end it in opponent territory.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:25 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I look forward to all the mental gymnastics and twisting and turning and "see, you gotta realize..." from all the power rankings people on why KC is still higher than Cincy in their power rankings. ThumbsUp

Cincy will move up, but no one will have them higher than the chiefs. Or I’ll be shocked.
Reply/Quote
Also Taylor gleaned some validation by going 6-0 vs Vrabel & Reid. Also choosing his staff. Lou and Brian weren’t experienced. But he knew they weren’t experienced.

1 punt, 0 turnovers, 0 penalties wow!
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was 50-50 going into this game if we would win. Not only  did we spank their azzes, we did it in a game where almost the whole country got the broadcast.

I felt the same. I work remotely for a company based in KC and a few of them asked who I thought would win. I leaned into a Chiefs win by three points or so. Even though Cincinnati won by only three, it felt much more lopsided than that. That was such an impressive game. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was 50-50 going into this game if we would win. Not only  did we spank their azzes, we did it in a game where almost the whole country got the broadcast.

I thought the wins against CAR and PIT weren't that impressive given how bad those teams are.
So I was skeptical of the Bengals beating the likes of TEN, KC, and BUF.

And then when the Bengals beat TEN, I thought perhaps TEN just wasn't as good I thought (or they don't match up well to the Bengals).
So I was more optimistic but still skeptical of truly beating teams like KC and BUF given their ability to pass the ball.

This win against KC has now convinced me the Bengals are back to their late-season 2021 form of actually being a contender again.
I now think they could beat any team remaining on their schedule, but I still won't be upset if they drop a couple games the rest of the way.
They've pulled a couple great wins to make it less worrisome of getting back into the playoffs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:25 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I look forward to all the mental gymnastics and twisting and turning and "see, you gotta realize..." from all the power rankings people on why KC is still higher than Cincy in their power rankings. ThumbsUp

Power rankings are a lot like college football rankings. If the #8 team in the country beats the #1 team in the country, they don't just swap places. #1 moves down and #8 moves up. There's a chance they cross, but a lot of times they don't. I could see KC dropping to #3 or #4 behind Philly, Buffalo and possibly Dallas. I think the Bengals could rise as high as #5, with San Francisco (despite the win, they're down to their 3rd string QB, that's gotta count for something), Miami and Minnesota being jumped, at least. I think we should jump Dallas too to end at #4, but they just put up gaudy numbers against a bad team and they're "America's team" so I see them staying ahead of us.
Reply/Quote
Great analysis from Dan Orlusky

https://twitter.com/jakeliscow/status/1599796489026686976?s=46&t=VtHx80EqySL6t_zbxs9YIA

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 12:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought the wins against CAR and PIT weren't that impressive given how bad those teams are.
So I was skeptical of the Bengals beating the likes of TEN, KC, and BUF.

And then when the Bengals beat TEN, I thought perhaps TEN just wasn't as good I thought (or they don't match up well to the Bengals).
So I was more optimistic but still skeptical of truly beating teams like KC and BUF given their ability to pass the ball.

This win against KC has now convinced me the Bengals are back to their late-season 2021 form of actually being a contender again.
I now think they could beat any team remaining on their schedule, but I still won't be upset if they drop a couple games the rest of the way.
They've pulled a couple great wins to make it less worrisome of getting back into the playoffs.

It's crazy to think if it wasn't for a long snapper injury week one causing them to miss the game winning extra point the Bengals would have control of the AFC right now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 01:18 PM)Synric Wrote: It's crazy to think if it wasn't for a long snapper injury week one causing them to miss the game winning extra point the Bengals would have control of the AFC right now.

That one hurts. I know that "shit happens" and you can't make excuses, but that is a truly wild way to lose a game. 
Reply/Quote
Volson
https://twitter.com/andrew_russell7/status/1599751737044135941?s=46&t=VtHx80EqySL6t_zbxs9YIA

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Also Taylor gleaned some validation by going 6-0 vs Vrabel & Reid. Also choosing his staff. Lou and Brian weren’t experienced. But he knew they weren’t experienced.

1 punt, 0 turnovers, 0 penalties wow!

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by zero penalties. The Bengals had 6 in the KC game. The one by Chase was ridiculous on his part and I'm glad Taylor laid into him for it. The one that set the Bengals back to 1st and 20 they remarkably overcame.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 01:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by zero penalties. The Bengals had 6 in the KC game. The taunting one by Chase was ridiculous on his part and I'm glad Taylor laid into him for it. The one that set the Bengals back to 1st and 20 they remarkably overcame.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 01:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Volson
https://twitter.com/andrew_russell7/status/1599751737044135941?s=46&t=VtHx80EqySL6t_zbxs9YIA

Yeah, you know..  But PFF will still likely reward him with a 53 for his efforts.. Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I clarified that. I need to edit. I was listening The Athletic podcast while driving this morning. They were talking about the game ( haven’t listened to it again) they must have said 1 punt 0 turnovers and 1 offensive penalty and 1 sack. When I get a chance I’ll listen again.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 11:26 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Cincy will move up, but no one will have them higher than the chiefs. Or I’ll be shocked.

Yahoo's rankings are already out...prepare to be shocked

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-power-rankings-week-14-054607995.html

1. Philadelphia

2. CINCINNATI

3. Buffalo

4. Dallas

5. Kansas City

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
There is a locker room video and you can just see the confidence in the room. Also its subtle but there is a difference reflected in the phrases from last year to this year.

Last year: "Why not us?"
This year: "They gotta play us"

The first phrase carries a passive confidence whereas the second phrase has more of an assertive swag.

Coming off the KC win I would love to see the confidence carry right over and just annihilate the Browns. That would allow Burrow to get that monkey off his back as well.
Reply/Quote