Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vernon Davis to Replace Marvin Jones?
Crazy Idea, but I'm seeing a lot of reports that Vernon Davis will be a bargain/steal in FA.

I think he could come a lot cheaper than Marvin Jones.

Now replacing a WR with a TE may seem crazy,

BUT

Let say the Bengals re-sign Sanu and get Vernon Davis for the same price they can have Marvin Jones.

Now your Two TE set is Efiert and Davis, with AJ and Sanu wide, I think that gives you a good range.

It would give Kroft and Uzoma time to develop.

The other side of the argument is

1. Luxury FA move - Don't really need it
2. Davis looks washed up
3.If Hue were here it would be a good signing, but Zampesee is a ? on motivation

Just wanted to throw the idea out there.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, I'll start picking it apart.

My biggest issue would be you're replacing a backup#1 and a guy with a lot more speed with a Tight End. If nothing else, Jones takes some of the heat off AJ and Eifert because you can't just put a LB on him or let a safety play soft on him. You have to put a corner or have a safety playing him man. With a TE in that spot, you can play off a little because of his speed and the range of his routes. Plus, if AJ goes down, that leaves you with Sanu/Eifert/Davis.

If that was the direction, I'd rather just go with Rex.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 10:44 AM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Crazy Idea, but I'm seeing a lot of reports that Vernon Davis will be a bargain/steal in FA.

A player that sucks as bad as Davis can never be considered a "bargain/steal".

Over the last two seasons he has averaged 32 catches for 320 yards and 1 td.

How the hell is that supposed to replace a #2WR?
Reply/Quote
Zero need for a guy like Davis. Tyler Kroft looks fine, so no real need to add another TE, especially a struggling one.

If Marvin Jones does leave, which I think he will, then I would rather see them go after someone like Jermaine Kearse if the Hawks don't re-sign him.
Reply/Quote
He couldnt over take Owen Daniels. Who is by no means a world beater. And we already basically have 4 TEs with Eifert Hewitt Kroft and Uzomah. I want to continue developing all those guys. I see no way we would keep 5 TEs
Reply/Quote
Just sign Marvin Jones instead.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Seems like a risk that hopefully will pay back in the end.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
Plus Vernon Davis is an idiot who has issues with the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A player that sucks as bad as Davis can never be considered a "bargain/steal".

He's already proven that he can play well at the NFL level so saying that he sucks is way off base. Wts, I do agree with you that he wouldn't be a good replacement for MJ. In the right system, with the right coach Davis was quite successful and possibly could be again.
Reply/Quote
I don't think even Hobson could write an article justifying Vernon Davis being the replacement for Jones.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Vernon Davis is washed up + we have a 3rd round pick in Kroft who looked good while Eifert was out.

If we lose MLJ, we need to replace him with a good WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
As a fan, I would be so pissed, if that happened.  For all of the reasons that everyone else has already posted, that would be a move of supreme stupidity..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 09:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Vernon Davis is washed up + we have a 3rd round pick in Kroft who looked good while Eifert was out.

If we lose MLJ, we need to replace him with a good WR.

Pretty much this^....
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals don't re-sign MLJ, I'd rather have one of Nate Washington, Rashard Matthews, or Brian Quick even.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 03:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He couldnt over take Owen Daniels. Who is by no means a world beater. And we already basically have 4 TEs with Eifert Hewitt Kroft and Uzomah. I want to continue developing all those guys. I see no way we would keep 5 TEs

....unless RM58 is covering him..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This is the most brilliant suggestion thread since I suggested moving Uzomah to safety.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 10:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals don't re-sign MLJ, I'd rather have one of Nate Washington, Rashard Matthews, or Brian Quick even.

Let's not forget that Roddy White will be available.  Plenty of tread left on his tires, good physical skills, should be moderately priced.

You know, many fans of other teams are likely saying the same thing about Marvin Jones, as the speculate toward free agency...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Davis is awful. Nope ill pass.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Vernon's hands have hardened with age.
No thanks.

"These were once strong hands....."

Vernon Davis = Rockbiter.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A player that sucks as bad as Davis can never be considered a "bargain/steal".

this lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote