Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versatility is the hallmark of the 2022 Bengals
We know the defense based on the draft and players like CTB, ADG, Zachary Carter, Ossai, Dax Hill, Anderson, and the like will be versatile. . I think what Lou may take awhile experimenting to settle on some players and schemes. I think this team on third down defense is going to be tough. The offense is going to be more versatile with Hayden Hurst and just the better OL play will allow Taylor to open it up easier. I’ve been spouting Mixon for a huge season. I see a lot of 11 personnel shifting to 0 personnel on third and short yardage. Third and 3 was a tough down now I think that if they start having success running and teams start committing to stop it they can shift to 0 personnel and throw a WR screen to Chase on one side or the other side to Mixon. Try defending that. With Hurst in the slot they’d also have to deal with that.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 02:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We know the defense based on the draft and players like CBT, ADG, Zachary Carter, Ossai, Dax Hill, Anderson, and the like. I think what Lou may take awhile experimenting to settle on some players and schemes. I think this team on third down defense is going to be tough. The offense is going to be more versatile with Hayden Hurst and just the better OL play will allow Taylor to open it up easier. I’ve been spouting Mixon for a huge season. I see a lot of 11 personnel shifting to 0 personnel on third and short yardage. Third and 3 was a tough down now I think that if they start having success running and teams start committing to stop it they can shift to 0 personnel and throw a WR screen to Chase on one side or the other side to Mixon. Try defending that. With Hurst in the slot they’d also have to deal with that.

Nice thread Soonerpeace. I think versatility is the word for what they are building no question. Ossai and Dax Hill in particular
are extremely versatile on the Defensive side of the ball. Joseph Ossai can play End, DT and LB. Daxton Hill can play all the 
Secondary positions and maybe even a little WILL Linebacker.

Cam Taylor Britt could push Apple out of the starting outside Corner position as a rookie. That is how good he could be, he 
just really needs to work on not gambling so much and he needs to watch for the double moves. This could keep him from 
starting early on. All 3 of these guys are turnover machines.

Cordell Volson is also very versatile on the OL. Really love this pick and it pushes Carman big time.

Our WR's can all line up all over the place. #1 Corners won't be able to just follow Chase. Hurst adds the crisp route runner
with quickness we have been needing at TE. The coaches want to really confuse opposing teams. Be as unpredictable as
possible. Chris Evans also is a threat as a Receiver, could have a breakout year.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread Soonerpeace. I think versatility is the word for what they are building no question. Ossai and Dax Hill in particular
are extremely versatile on the Defensive side of the ball. Joseph Ossai can play End, DT and LB. Daxton Hill can play all the 

Cam Taylor Britt could push Apple out of the starting outside Corner position as a rookie. That is how good he could be, he 
just really needs to work on not gambling so much and he needs to watch for the double moves. This could keep him from 

Cordell Volson is also very versatile on the OL. Really love this pick and it pushes Carman big time.

Our WR's can all line up all over the place. #1 Corners won't be able to just follow Chase. Hurst adds the crisp route runner
with quickness we have been needing at TE. The coaches want to really confuse opposing teams. Be as unpredictable as
possible. Chris Evans also is a threat as a Receiver, could have a breakout year.

You touched on Versatile 2. The scheme versatility and player versatility to me makes this team solid and sets them apart from a lot of teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 02:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We know the defense based on the draft and players like CTB, ADG, Zachary Carter, Ossai, Dax Hill, Anderson, and the like will be versatile. . I think what Lou may take awhile experimenting to settle on some players and schemes. I think this team on third down defense is going to be tough. The offense is going to be more versatile with Hayden Hurst and just the better OL play will allow Taylor to open it up easier. I’ve been spouting Mixon for a huge season. I see a lot of 11 personnel shifting to 0 personnel on third and short yardage. Third and 3 was a tough down now I think that if they start having success running and teams start committing to stop it they can shift to 0 personnel and throw a WR screen to Chase on one side or the other side to Mixon. Try defending that. With Hurst in the slot they’d also have to deal with that.

That's also been one of our achilles heels in way to many games over the last several seasons. Giving up way to many 3rd and longs even 3rd and super longs. And if the D can get off the field more that puts the O back on and the pressure keeps building for the opposition.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread Soonerpeace. I think versatility is the word for what they are building no question. Ossai and Dax Hill in particular
are extremely versatile on the Defensive side of the ball. Joseph Ossai can play End, DT and LB. Daxton Hill can play all the 

Love most of everything here, but I certainly hope to never see Ossai at defensive tackle  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Really good discussion and player break down of the "versatile" and "multiple" players on defense here:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-multiple-and-versatile-on-defense

As for the offense I don't think we will be seeing as much "heavy" or "6 O-line" formation as we did last year. I think a lot of that was out of necessity because our O-line was so weak. I am sure we will still see it at times, but not as much as we did last year.

We will also see Perine and Evans get some snaps at RB, but it will mainly be Mixon. I see Perine/Evans as just "rest" for Mixon. Don't see either one of them being a key piece of the offense. Evans is a good receiver for a RB, but I don't see him being good enough to actually take snaps away from a WR. Most RB receptions are screens, swing passes, wheel routes, or check downs that just get the ball to the RB in open space. It is rare for a RB to be playing WR and trying to get open with precise route running. There is a good reason WRs spend so much time refining their route running. It is a skill. and RBs usually just don't have enough time to devote to it.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 03:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's also been one of our achilles heels in way to many games over the last several seasons. Giving up way to many 3rd and longs even 3rd and super longs. And if the D can get off the field more that puts the O back on and the pressure keeps building for the opposition.

You are right. We were #15 on third down conversion on offense and #20 on defense. On offense KC#1 Bills#2 Rams #6. Bills #1 and Rams #7 on defense. Third down play has to improve.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Really good discussion and player break down of the "versatile" and "multiple" players on defense here:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-multiple-and-versatile-on-defense

As for the offense I don't think we will be seeing as much "heavy" or "6 O-line" formation as we did last year. I think a lot of that was out of necessity because our O-line was so weak. I am sure we will still see it at times, but not as much as we did last year.

We will also see Perine and Evans get some snaps at RB, but it will mainly be Mixon. I see Perine/Evans as just "rest" for Mixon. Don't see either one of them being a key piece of the offense. Evans is a good receiver for a RB, but I don't see him being good enough to actually take snaps away from a WR. Most RB receptions are screens, swing passes, wheel routes, or check downs that just get the ball to the RB in open space. It is rare for a RB to be playing WR and trying to get open with precise route running. There is a good reason WRs spend so much time refining their route running. It is a skill. and RBs usually just don't have enough time to devote to it.

Obviously we’ve got versatile players and you touched on that in that thread in “multiple” and “versatile”. What do you think they do with Hurst? On defense what special lineups and packages you think are used?
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 03:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You touched on Versatile 2. The scheme versatility and player versatility to me makes this team solid and sets them apart from a lot of teams.

Lou in particular can run all types of Defensive schemes with these guys. 

ADG was coming along nicely last season until the injury.

ADG has tons of talent. Could be a star player once he gets the rawness out of his game.

(05-27-2022, 03:40 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Love most of everything here, but I certainly hope to never see Ossai at defensive tackle  Tongue

Well, only on passing downs would I think about putting him there. Has such good hands and quickness Ossai could be a 
mismatch in these situations. So many ways to use a player of this type. I said it in the Ossai thread, kind of like a Parsons 
type of End who can drop back into coverage and get interceptions in surprise schemes.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  What do you think they do with Hurst? 

Nothing really different from what they did last year with CJ.  Hurst is a good receiver, but he is not taking targets away from Chase, Higgins, or Boyd.

Hurst might even have better numbers than CJ did last year, but if he does I think it will be due to "inflation".  If we throw for a few hundred more yards in '22 than we did in '21 then every receivers numbers will probably increase.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, only on passing downs would I think about putting him there. Has such good hands and quickness Ossai could be a 
mismatch in these situations. 

If he was a "mismatch" at DT due to "good hands" and "quickness" then why not make him a starter there?

I am really excited about Ossai's potential.  I could see him lining up at DE or blitzing from any LB position.  But I don't see him at DT.  He would get manhandled by those huge offensive linemen.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he was a "mismatch" at DT due to "good hands" and "quickness" then why not make him a starter there?

I am really excited about Ossai's potential.  I could see him lining up at DE or blitzing from any LB position.  But I don't see him at DT.  He would get manhandled by those huge offensive linemen.

Definitely not on running downs. I am just talking about different looks at times he could be put there and give IOL fits on 
passing downs. But yeah, End and OLB will be where Ossai is put most all the time as he should be.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he was a "mismatch" at DT due to "good hands" and "quickness" then why not make him a starter there?

He's big enough to play there on occasion. Not likely to take them on head-up. With his speed, he'd be fine running slants and stunts. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing really different from what they did last year with CJ.  Hurst is a good receiver, but he is not taking targets away from Chase, Higgins, or Boyd.

Hurst might even have better numbers than CJ did last year, but if he does I think it will be due to "inflation".  If we throw for a few hundred more yards in '22 than we did in '21 then every receivers numbers will probably increase.

I think they use Hurst much more vertically
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's big enough to play there on occasion. Not likely to take them on head-up. With his speed, he'd be fine running slants and stunts. 

Ossai on stunts should really give OL fits with the angles he takes along with his speed, quicks and hands.

He also looks bigger then the 250 pounds Fred posted. For example he looks bigger than Lawson, at least in my eyes.

And Ossai doesn't get lost in space in coverage like Lawson does. Natural talent at doing lots of different things.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they use Hurst much more vertically.

I certainly hope so.

If they used him horizontally that would mean he was laying down.

BTW CJ is faster than Hurst.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And Ossai doesn't get lost in space in coverage like Lawson does. 

Oh, please.  You have not seen Ossai play enough NFL snaps to say that.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I certainly hope so.

Hurst and CJ both ran a 4.6 but the athleticism isnt close.  CJ was always stiff.  

Hayden Hurst Was Faster Than Any Raven

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I certainly hope so.

Hayden Hurst 40 Yard dash at combine 4.67
C J Uzomah 40 yard dash at Auburn’s Pro Day 4.63

After C J’s injuries I doubt he’s faster
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh, please.  You have not seen Ossai play enough NFL snaps to say that.

I can say that all I want. Ossai dropped into coverage a lot at Texas and even picked Burrow off.

Lawson has always been terrible at dropping into coverage, was his biggest weakness all his time here.
Reply/Quote