Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Important Year for Jonah Williams
Also, just like the other Olineman, I’m doubting this guy got much help from Turner when it came to technique.

I remember when we drafted Jonah that a big part of his game was the technical side and mental aspect of where to put your hands, feet placement, balance, weight distribution, etc. he probably lost a bit of that the last two years. Hopefully having Pollack can help a bit there.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What does that have to do with anything relative?  Injuries are injuries.  Joe Burrow also got injured by a guy falling into his leg..

I mean if we're all ready to burn Mike Jordan at the stake for letting Burrow get injured, than we should also hold Jonah Williams accountable for allowing himself to get injured.  Why didn't he see the guy falling, and just pull his leg out of the way??

Stupid post. Your comparison also makes no sense. Jonah was literally engaged in a block and the right tackle got beat so bad that he was slammed into Jonah's leg from the complete back. That should never happen on a football field and would have injured anyone. If he were injury prone it would've been a tear. If he were needed he would've been back in 2-3 weeks. 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What does that have to do with anything relative?  Injuries are injuries.  Joe Burrow also got injured by a guy falling into his leg..

I mean if we're all ready to burn Mike Jordan at the stake for letting Burrow get injured, than we should also hold Jonah Williams accountable for allowing himself to get injured.  Why didn't he see the guy falling, and just pull his leg out of the way??

(06-21-2021, 08:12 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Stupid post. Your comparison also makes no sense. Jonah was literally engaged in a block and the right tackle got beat so bad that he was slammed into Jonah's leg from the complete back. That should never happen on a football field and would have injured anyone. If he were injury prone it would've been a tear. If he were needed he would've been back in 2-3 weeks. 

Agreed BE... thats like saying "Hey both of these guys are heart attack prone. "Guy A" has had 3 Heart attacks in 4 years.. "Guy B" was struck by lightning and his heart stopped"....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I predict Riley Reif will be playing LT for this team at some point next year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 08:12 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Stupid post. Your comparison also makes no sense. Jonah was literally engaged in a block and the right tackle got beat so bad that he was slammed into Jonah's leg from the complete back. That should never happen on a football field and would have injured anyone. If he were injury prone it would've been a tear. If he were needed he would've been back in 2-3 weeks. 

You're going to have to show me that play.  I've searched for it, and I find nothing of the sort.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The #1 ability is availability. To me he needs to be available before anything else is considered.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're going to have to show me that play.  I've searched for it, and I find nothing of the sort.

I saw it live and that was all. But I distinctly remember 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 09:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The #1 ability is availability. To me he needs to be available before anything else is considered.

Is it tho? I don’t recall Bobby Hart missing many games.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're going to have to show me that play.  I've searched for it, and I find nothing of the sort.

The play is in this link. My statement was off, it was a dolphin player slamming into his knee from the complete back. But it was such poor online play they got their own olineman hurt 
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/12/6/22157471/jonah-williams-injury-dolphins-bengals-news
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 10:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is it tho? I don’t recall Bobby Hart missing many games.

Just stop

Yuck
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 11:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Just stop

Yuck

So I take it that you agree that availability, while important, is not the #1 ability?

Micheal Jordan has been a pretty healthy fella as well!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 05:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 5e29rn.jpg]

So, you are saying he actually did get practice snaps with the team, played in pre-season games, and saw real NFL competition his rookie season?  No?  He got hurt immediately in the first OTA?  Ok, then last year was essentially his rookie season.  HIS rookie season.  Bringing up all other Bengals rookies that have had injuries theri rookies seasons is just weak sauce.  That has nothing to do with Jonah being the long-term solution at LT.

Last year he did face a murderers row of pass-rushers right from the word go, and coming off the COVID offseason, I thought that was a good indicator of his intelligence, preparation, and physical abilities.  

If you want to crap on the guy for his injuries, enjoy.  Be sure to crap on Burrow as well....just to be consistent.  
Reply/Quote
I thought this article captures it well. Jonah was not a top 10 pick so Bengals get a bit of a break financially over those top 10 picks salary calculation.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

I am not sure what the number would be, but simply if Jonah stays healthy and plays well in 2021. he would be a bargain at 11 million a year or less for a starting young LT.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 10:47 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Obviously I WANT JW to play extremely well.... but he has been oft injured and, when healthy, has been just OK. Not seeing big value in him at $11 and think he's better suited as a Guard. Not sure what his potential is to develop into an elite LT.

I will say that giving him a competent veteran player on the inside to play next to him may help him tremendously. If you've ever played team sports and had to work in tandem with someone who sucks, it's impossible to just do your job really well. Reserving complete judgment on JW until midway through this season, but right now I would give him a C- and NOT pay him $11.

Looking ahead, I see elites LT's making 16 to 20 million a year in 2022. So. at 11 million it is more of a good LT pay scale versus elite.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 11:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So I take it that you agree that availability, while important, is not the #1 ability?

Micheal Jordan has been a pretty healthy fella as well!

Bobby Shart stayed healthy because he wasn’t blocking and was working in his swinging door technique.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2021, 09:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought this article captures it well. Jonah was not a top 10 pick so Bengals get a bit of a break financially over those top 10 picks salary calculation.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

I am not sure what the number would be, but simply if Jonah stays healthy and plays well in 2021. he would be a bargain at 11 million a year or less for a starting young LT.

Fwiw, that is the old version of the 5th year option.  It's since changed with the new CBA.  Whether you're picked 1st or 32nd, it doesn't matter anymore.  Here's a link that kind of explains it...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-guide-to-fifth-year-options-for-every-nfl-teams-first-round-pick-from-2018/
Reply/Quote
No doubt big year for Jonus needs to stay healthy and perform as a top end tackle or we could lead bengals to start thinking to make a change next year or 2.
Reply/Quote
I think we should hoard money now and hold it so we can resign him. We don't even need to consider spending more- he's our only concern.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2021, 09:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Looking ahead, I see elites LT's making 16 to 20 million a year in 2022. So. at 11 million it is more of a good LT pay scale for elite.

Cannot argue that.... But what I will stand firm on is that Joey B deserves better and the Bengals should strive for better. JW deserves time and a 4-5 year window to get to that level. If not, I feel like a different solution should be found as that time frame ends.
Reply/Quote
Jonah's health may be the single most important concern for our offense this year.

We have zero depth at tackle, and if Jonah doe not play at a decent level this year our O-line will not improve that much.
Reply/Quote