Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Important Year for Jonah Williams
(06-24-2021, 12:37 AM)Benton Wrote: So... who is your tackle in 2022? Right now... nobody. 

Do you realize how silly it is to use "2022" and "right  now" in the same sentence?

Every single team in the league has multiple starters that are not under contract for 2022, but only Bengal fans think that the 2022 draft and free agency period have been cancelled.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 12:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone who claims that the Bengals #1 plan in free agency was signing a WR for $18 million a year is completely clueless about how this team operates.

What an absolutely terrible post.  It's reminder #1,000,001 why I shouldn't even bother engaging with you.

They were intersted and made an offer.  One would think they made this offer in good faith, and weren't wasting their time, or his.  What he ultimately got is besides the point.  And nowhere did anyone say he was their #1 plan.

You asked a very simple question; Who did the Bengals target in FA that was as good as or better than Chase.  You got your answer, and now you've moved the goal posts to lessen the appearance of your ignorance.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 01:28 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote:  And nowhere did anyone say he was their #1 plan.

Pdub insisted that the Bengals free agent plans for WR "blew up in their face".

What else could that possibly mean except that they did not get their #1 choice?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 12:37 AM)Benton Wrote: Realistically, we aren't SB bound next season.

Shocker, I know.

So... who is your tackle in 2022? Right now... nobody. There's no one on the roster capable of competing for a starting RT spot.

But wait, what if I'm optimistic? What if I think all we needed was one receiver to go to the SB?

OK. You've got Reiff. Who is the other T since you've got none on the roster who has started more than half a season? If Reiff is manning one side, who is anchoring 16+ games on the other side?

I gotta admit..there's a lot going on in this post, but I'm not sure I understand any of it
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 12:37 AM)Benton Wrote: Realistically, we aren't SB bound next season.

Shocker, I know.

So... who is your tackle in 2022? Right now... nobody. There's no one on the roster capable of competing for a starting RT spot.

But wait, what if I'm optimistic? What if I think all we needed was one receiver to go to the SB?

OK. You've got Reiff. Who is the other T since you've got none on the roster who has started more than half a season? If Reiff is manning one side, who is anchoring 16+ games on the other side?

I honestly believe Jonah is going to make a lot of people on here eat crow. As for the future of RT, what about Smith? The kid we drafted out of East Carolina. Not sure why people are worried about 2022 still? We haven't even played a game in 2021 yet.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2021, 11:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree this stance perplexes me. we have Reif in house. If he works out we can re-sign and have the inside track;if not, we can cut bait.

Exactly, if he plays good, we resign him, if not, cut him with no wasted money and let Smith take over at RT.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 01:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I honestly believe Jonah is going to make a lot of people on here eat crow. As for the future of RT, what about Smith? The kids we drafted out of East Carolina. Not sure why people are worried about 2022 still? We haven't even played a game in 2021 yet.

Not sure how a 1st round pick showing skill in his 3rd season is making people eat crow.  Is Jonah becoming the John Ross of the O line?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 12:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone who claims that the Bengals #1 plan in free agency was signing a WR for $18 million a year is completely clueless about how this team operates.

I 100% agree with you. Only... why the F are you saying that in reply to me? Did I claim that that was the Bengals #1 plan in free agency? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It actually looks like the Bengals plan was kind of goofy at this point as they completely miscalculated the O line market and team cap cuts. Not that it turned out "wrong"... but it clearly didn't go the way they thought. Results weren't optimal compared to how it could and should have gone.

Chronologically....
- The FA OTs either got franchised or resigned
- They failed to nab any higher end interior linemen and were completely steamrolled by competing teams going after Zeitler and Thuney, who would have been a big improvements.
- They then started grabbing up defensive FAs so they didn't have a pile of money to spend on the scrubs that were left (panic move, IMO)
- Dust settles and they still have a bunch of money so the Bengals turned to a big time WR to sign (a bigger or at least equal need to O line)... which would free them up to draft Sewel. That failed on March 20th.
- By March 22nd, they then hurriedly got Reiff - who has positional versatility - to sign, which opened up options to fix things via the draft or a cut linemen down the road in the summer.... LUCKY for the Bengals because he was the last guy left who would have been an improvement at that point.

Leaving the Bengals to move on to plan Q....
- Draft Chase and Carman

Personally, I'm kind of appalled that the Bengals went so heavy on defense in the FA period AGAIN. I understand why they did it from their side of the desk, but the defense being good is a long term issue/need where the offense could have been microwaved into the elite category in one FA period. I think the offense was so close to elite as it was that they should have really dialed in on getting that unit up to that level and then lived with taking their chances in shootouts for this year. Next year would have been the time to bother with the defense in the draft and a FA period since the offense is young and all under contract for years.

^ The effort to go heavy on D in FA... AGAIN... is almost to the level of delusional. The Bengals aren't a big time defense away from being contenders. They have a 2nd year QB who needs to learn and develop into the NFL game. The Bengals had 2 years to worry about the D before it really mattered.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 01:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pdub insisted that the Bengals free agent plans for WR "blew up in their face".

What else could that possibly mean except that they did not get their #1 choice?

No I didn't. You are misquoting me. I said...

I have to think that the Bengals O line FA plans blew up in their face in regards to OLine AND WR.

I explain it all to you in my reply above (#68). Thanks again for the free rent.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 08:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not sure how a 1st round pick showing skill in his 3rd season is making people eat crow.  Is Jonah becoming the John Ross of the O line?

It has nothing to do with skills, Jonah is pretty good. It's about the people who are predicting he only plays half a season before he gets injured.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 08:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not sure how a 1st round pick showing skill in his 3rd season is making people eat crow.  Is Jonah becoming the John Ross of the O line?

DING DING DING!!!! I think we have a winning answer here folks Hilarious Hilarious

I mean I'd expect your 11th pick in the 1st round of the 2019 draft to at least be established as a high end OT. 

I mean maybe he'll play 12 games this year and next year we'll hope for 14 games...by his 5th year he'll be playing in all 16 lol

Sorry that was a funny post Nate. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 09:44 AM)sandwedge Wrote: It has nothing to do with skills, Jonah is pretty good. It's about the people who are predicting he only plays half a season before he gets injured.

Saying he will play half a season is technically the optimistic take for him. 
Reply/Quote
Even if Jonah plays the entire season, why would anyone have to eat crow? To this point, has he played an entire NFL season? Nope. He's played 1/3 of the games. Say what you want about could've came back last year or not, he didn't. We can't add on imaginary "could've" games to make it seem better than it is. Since he is a player that is yet to have played an entire season, my thoughts are he won't play this entire season either. I want him to, I hope he does, but he hasn't shown that ability yet. If he does miss time again this year, not only should his option not be picked up, the team needs to be looking for a new LT again.

The "techinically" rookie stuff needs to stop. Last year he was listed as a second year player and this year he is listed as a third year player. You are a rookie once.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 09:08 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I 100% agree with you. Only... why the F are you saying that in reply to me? Did I claim that that was the Bengals #1 plan in free agency? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It actually looks like the Bengals plan was kind of goofy at this point as they completely miscalculated the O line market and team cap cuts. Not that it turned out "wrong"... but it clearly didn't go the way they thought. Results weren't optimal compared to how it could and should have gone.

Chronologically....
- The FA OTs either got franchised or resigned
- They failed to nab any higher end interior linemen and were completely steamrolled by competing teams going after Zeitler and Thuney, who would have been a big improvements.
- They then started grabbing up defensive FAs so they didn't have a pile of money to spend on the scrubs that were left (panic move, IMO)
- Dust settles and they still have a bunch of money so the Bengals turned to a big time WR to sign (a bigger or at least equal need to O line)... which would free them up to draft Sewel. That failed on March 20th.
- By March 22nd, they then hurriedly got Reiff - who has positional versatility - to sign, which opened up options to fix things via the draft or a cut linemen down the road in the summer.... LUCKY for the Bengals because he was the last guy left who would have been an improvement at that point.

Leaving the Bengals to move on to plan Q....
- Draft Chase and Carman

Personally, I'm kind of appalled that the Bengals went so heavy on defense in the FA period AGAIN. I understand why they did it from their side of the desk, but the defense being good is a long term issue/need where the offense could have been microwaved into the elite category in one FA period. I think the offense was so close to elite as it was that they should have really dialed in on getting that unit up to that level and then lived with taking their chances in shootouts for this year. Next year would have been the time to bother with the defense in the draft and a FA period since the offense is young and all under contract for years.

^ The effort to go heavy on D in FA... AGAIN... is almost to the level of delusional. The Bengals aren't a big time defense away from being contenders. They have a 2nd year QB who needs to learn and develop into the NFL game. The Bengals had 2 years to worry about the D before it really mattered.

Stopped reading when you called Reiff "one of the scrubs left".

Bengals met with Reiff as soon as free agency started. He was part of their original plan. He is now the 10th highest paid RT in the league. It is a joke to call him a scrub.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Stopped reading when you called Reiff "one of the scrubs left".

Bengals met with Reiff as soon as free agency started. He was part of their original plan. He is now the 10th highest paid RT in the league. It is a joke to call him a scrub.

YET AGAIN you have failed at reading comprehension. Not only that, but you're willfully ignorant since you don't read entire posts and just jump to conclusions based on... ME LIVING RENT FREE IN YOUR HEAD.

I did not call Reiff a scrub at all. The scrub comment was in regards to the defensive players that would have been left if they didn't sign the defensive guys they did at that point in time. Directly after that comment, I complimented Reiff in a positive way. Here, I will copy, paste, and bold where you struggled....

Now, please, do the entire board a favor and take 2 minutes to go into your bathroom and follow these simple steps....
1: Splash some cold water on your face
2: Look yourself in the eyes and ask yourself aloud "Why am I this way?"
3: Do some honest soul searching
4: Come back to the boards and tell me how sorry you are for being illiterate while trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who has an IQ in the 150s

Also, the Bengals met with Reiff LATE into the "first round" ... perhaps even into the 2nd round of the FA period. Not at the beginning as you have stated. Nor was he any part of an "Original plan". That's just patently FALSE.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 01:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I gotta admit..there's a lot going on in this post, but I'm not sure I understand any of it

Best I can tell, a couple of posters think when Riley agreed to a one year deal, the Bengals should have held him down and forced him to sign for 3..... oh, and Jonah sucks.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 01:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Best I can tell, a couple of posters think when Riley agreed to a one year deal, the Bengals should have held him down and forced him to sign for 3..... oh, and Jonah sucks.

EXACTLY. There's only one way for the Bengals to force Unrestricted FAs to sign.... MONEY... and even then sometimes not even that.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 01:15 PM)PDub80 Wrote: YET AGAIN you have failed at reading comprehension. Not only that, but you're willfully ignorant since you don't read entire posts and just jump to conclusions based on... ME LIVING RENT FREE IN YOUR HEAD.

I did not call Reiff a scrub at all. The scrub comment was in regards to the defensive players that would have been left if they didn't sign the defensive guys they did at that point in time. Directly after that comment, I complimented Reiff in a positive way. Here, I will copy, paste, and bold where you struggled....

Now, please, do the entire board a favor and take 2 minutes to go into your bathroom and follow these simple steps....
1: Splash some cold water on your face
2: Look yourself in the eyes and ask yourself aloud "Why am I this way?"
3: Do some honest soul searching
4: Come back to the boards and tell me how sorry you are for being illiterate while trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who has an IQ in the 150s

Also, the Bengals met with Reiff LATE into the "first round" ... perhaps even into the 2nd round of the FA period. Not at the beginning as you have stated. Nor was he any part of an "Original plan". That's just patently FALSE.

Kenny Golladay contacted the Bengals not the other way around. Also by March 22nd the Staff had a decent idea of the depth at Offensive Line in the drsft class allowing them to explore other options in round 1 besides Penei Sewell.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Side note, is this really a very important year for Jonah? Are we in the position to move on from him even if he is average this season? I realize we could be inspired to consider other options in 2022, though.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 03:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Kenny Golladay contacted the Bengals not the other way around. Also by March 22nd the Staff had a decent idea of the depth at Offensive Line in the drsft class allowing them to explore other options in round 1 besides Penei Sewell.

No question. But that was the timeline of what happened in Bengals FA leading up to the draft, right? The FA period threw them a ton of curve balls and they couldn't catch hold of one. So, they did their best and kept moving or replacing the targets. Gollady contacted them and they made an offer to switch gears after missing on linemen. I think that's a fair assessment. And I'm not saying they were wrong to try that angle, either.

Given how it all shook out by the time the draft came, the Bengals did very well... all things considered. But, Murdock's FA O line would have been ideal and the draft STILL could have gone that way. The Bengals are still sitting on a ton of cash... that would have signed those linemen that he named.. IF they would have came to Cincy.
Reply/Quote