Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vic Fangio
Everyone is talking about getting a young upcoming coach with an offensive mindset but why not look to the defensive side of the ball.
I present a guy that is an old school defensive minded coach in Vic Fangio. He was the guy I wanted instead of Austin to be defensive Coordinator this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
3-4, completely different philosophy and doesn't want to move anymore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It's an offensive sport now. I'd rather go young and innovative. That is coming from a guy who loves defense. Times are changing and I want the Bengals go with the current and not against it.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 3-4, completely different philosophy and doesn't want to move anymore.

What's so wrong with moving to a 3-4? If the team goes through a rebuild, it shouldn't be a big deal?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:30 PM)MentalRage Wrote: It's an offensive sport now. I'd rather go young and innovative. That is coming from a guy who loves defense. Times are changing and I want the Bengals go with the current and not against it.
This. I don't really care where the coach comes from but it must be an Offensive minded coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 03:53 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Everyone is talking about getting a young upcoming coach with an offensive mindset but why not look to the defensive side of the ball.
I present a guy that is an old school defensive minded coach in Vic Fangio. He was the guy I wanted instead of Austin to be defensive Coordinator this season.

He's doing a great job as Defensive Coordinator for the Bears.  But, that organization is very proactive when it comes to using all 3 methods of attaining talent;  Draft, Free Agency, and Trades.  You have to wonder how well he, or anyone can do with the Bengals model of running a team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's doing a great job as Defensive Coordinator for the Bears.  But, that organization is very proactive when it comes to using all 3 methods of attaining talent;  Draft, Free Agency, and Trades.  You have to wonder how well he, or anyone can do with the Bengals model of running a team.

Yeah, the Mike Brown model has failed considerably. Bears seek talent. Mike Brown hopes it lands on his doorstep wrapped in a bow with a 50% discount tag on it.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 3-4, completely different philosophy and doesn't want to move anymore.

He runs 3-4 4-3 interchangeable system it would not be that much of a stretch. Also the majority of snaps are in Nickle anyways so why does it matter?
As far as him not wanting to move I take that with a grain of salt.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:30 PM)MentalRage Wrote: It's an offensive sport now. I'd rather go young and innovative. That is coming from a guy who loves defense. Times are changing and I want the Bengals go with the current and not against it.

Truth is you can find multiple young offensive minds to be offensive coordinators but how many Defensive minds are out there truly? 
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 06:25 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He runs 3-4 4-3 interchangeable system it would not be that much of a stretch. Also the majority of snaps are in Nickle anyways so why does it matter?
As far as him not wanting to move I take that with a grain of salt.

He runs a 3-4 and his nickle is a 3-3 front 7 (or 6, in this case).

Not interchangeable at all; nobody runs a hybrid this season.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's doing a great job as Defensive Coordinator for the Bears.  But, that organization is very proactive when it comes to using all 3 methods of attaining talent;  Draft, Free Agency, and Trades.  You have to wonder how well he, or anyone can do with the Bengals model of running a team.

Man...I leave the board for a year and come back and all the sudden a bunch of people sound like me. I like it!

I was just too early I guess.

You are right though brother. They went out and drafted a good LB and acquired Mack. They likely have double or triple the scouts that we do too.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 06:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Truth is you can find multiple young offensive minds to be offensive coordinators but how many Defensive minds are out there truly? 

How many teams in the NFL are winning due to their defense now? Not many. Same with college.

The way to win in the modern NFL is to build a high powered offense.
Reply/Quote
The thing is, with the way the coaches scout for the Bengals...if you hire a defensive coach, they will probably focus on drafting defense more. Our drafts should be building the offense up.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 11:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How many teams in the NFL are winning due to their defense now? Not many. Same with college.

I also think this is what the NFL wants.   Look at the Rams, Chiefs, and Saints.  Their D's aren't really awesome....they give up points too.  But look at all the ticky tac penalties that the defense gets now.  Vontez is a shell of his former self and I think part of it is how the refs call the game now.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 11:33 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: I also think this is what the NFL wants.   Look at the Rams, Chiefs, and Saints.  Their D's aren't really awesome....they give up points too.  But look at all the ticky tac penalties that the defense gets now.  Vontez is a shell of his former self and I think part of it is how the refs call the game now.  

No doubt. The league has been moving that way for several years now with the rule changes and even how they call games. You hit a QB wrong and it goes from a sack to a big play for the offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 11:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How many teams in the NFL are winning due to their defense now? Not many. Same with college.

The Bears are winning because of their defense, Seahawks, Cowboys, Vikings, Chargers, Ravens, and Texans are winning teams with top Defenses. 
Also nothing has been won yet shouldn't we wait until the whole playoffs end before we decide Defenses don't or do matter. Last season three out of the 4 teams in the championship games were in top 5 of total Defense.
J24

Reply/Quote
I'm feeling this right now. I just posted this to another thread but it is a video breakdown of how Fangio's defense (third in fewest points allowed) stopped the LA Rams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04gbQBMZt0&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Notice that a lot of that game they played with a 6 man front which you could do just as easily from a 4-3. Yes I realize 3-4 outside linebackers are closer to defensive ends but the point here is they were playing a run stopping defense from the line and executing. Also note how the analyst talks about Vic using his corners effectively. Putting players in a position to succeed is a head coaching quality. So is being very aware of what the other team does and game planning against it. I have no idea who we'd have as a DC under Vic but you could certainly have one who is more adept with a 4-3 as well.

Reply/Quote
If your HC is a defensive coach, what's to stop him from having a young innovative OC?  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Three of our last four #1 picks play offense.  I believe a defensive HC is allowed to draft offense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

True that.

The said thing is, if it were the 1970’s, Marv may very well be one of the best coaches in the game. The game has changed, and it has passed him by. It’s passed by many defensive minded coaches. The future is offense, and Marvin cannot was taught new tricks.

We need an offensive minded coach in the worst way.
Reply/Quote