Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinnie Rey/MJ
(10-20-2015, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really doubt this.  If that were the case, they would have put him on IR long ago freeing up a roster spot. 

He's on PUP so he's not taking a roster spot.  They now have 5 weeks to decide to let him start practicing or to place him on season ending IR.  Once he starts practicing we have a 21 day roster exemption to actually activate him or place him on IR.  

These also apply to Sean Porter and  Cedric Ogbuehi.  I suspect  that Ogbuehi is the least likely to be activated as there is no reason to place a rookie with zero practice time and no likely playing time on the active roster.  Give him a full year to recover from that knee injury,

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Marvin said everyone who played in Buffalo will be ready to go in Pittsburgh.... so we will be at 100% roster, barring unforeseen circumstances....
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 11:32 AM)pally Wrote:  I suspect  that Ogbuehi is the least likely to be activated as there is no reason to place a rookie with zero practice time and no likely playing time on the active roster.  Give him a full year to recover from that knee injury,

Agree that he is the least likely, but injuries could change that.  Luckily we can delay the decision for 14 weeks.  Hopefully he would be healthy enough to play if we needed him.  I assume he would be better than anything we could find on the street.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2015, 09:57 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Heard on the post game show that MJ's injury is a bone bruise. Isn't expected to miss any time. But we've heard that before with 'bone bruises'.

A true bone bruise can only be picked up with a MRI.  Does Ralph Wilson Stadium have an MRI on site?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 07:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A true bone bruise can only be picked up with a MRI.  Does Ralph Wilson Stadium have an MRI on site?

I think so.  I thought I heard Watkins had an MRI before the game ended.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really doubt this.  If that were the case, they would have put him on IR long ago freeing up a roster spot. 

He is the leader of the defense.  Keeping him off IR gives the team options later in the season.  Putting him on IR now would eliminate all those options.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 09:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious, but why do you say this?  All indications are that he has been working out and is recovering as expected.

Why do you think he will not play this year?

It's micro fracture surgery.  New cartilage only develops so fast and no faster.  The new cartilage is different than normal cartilage.  One misstep and months of rehab down the drain.  The key to micro fracture rehab is patience, patience, and more patience.  The team could have done a much better job communicating expectations with the fans.  I put the lack of information (and in some cases misinformation) directly on Marvin. 

(10-19-2015, 09:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys may be right, but I am really surprised that so many people are being so negative.

Remember when Whitworth missed the entire pre-season in 2013 and then played every regular season game having one of the best seasons of his career?

I don't remember the specific injury, I'm almost positive he wasn't rehabbing from micro fracture.  The last person on the team I remember who had it was Geathers.
Reply/Quote
These guys are needed in a bad WAY!! 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin said everyone who played in Buffalo will be ready to go in Pittsburgh.... so we will be at 100% roster, barring unforeseen circumstances....

Thank you Sled. These 2 are needed, MJ needs to be in that D-line rotation with his size and abiliity to bat
down balls. Vinny Rey for his heart, he just hustles and is always around the ball. I love the upside of Dawson
but it might be a little early to put him out there against Pitt.

I might add that Lamur seemed to play a little better the past 3 weeks which is nice.
Reply/Quote
I get why people are antsy for Burfict - he is the lone Pro Bowler in that linebacking corps.

But - he hasn't been on the field since last October. I tend to agree with Marvin Lewis when he says that until a guy practices, he doesn't exist. Albert Breer's video was nice, sure - mainly because we don't usually get to see Tez during the few minutes of open practice we get. But honestly that's no different than the stuff he's been doing since training camp.

We won't know anything until Monday or Wednesday of next week. And here's how that will work:

1. IF he's on the field, in a helmet and jersey, "practicing" - the Bengals are given a roster exemption to allow him to do that to see if he CAN practice That doesn't mean he WILL. It just means the league allows them that opportunity to find out.

2. IF he is doing that, they have 21 days from that point to decide what to do with him - activate him, IR, etc.

Now, let's look at the schedule. They're 6-0. The linebackers are healthy. They've got a game on Nov. 1, and then another four days later. I highly doubt he plays in either. I could be wrong, but IF he's practicing this week, on Oct. 26, they'll wait 15 days until the week before Houston to see what they want to do. By that point, they could have a guy on IR.

That's IF he's practicing this week.

Fast forward that timeline each week. Burfict is a guy who will have to prove he's in game shape to play. History or not, Lewis won't let him roll into practice on a Thursday, activate him and cut a guy on a Friday, and have him play on a Sunday. Doesn't work that way.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 04:07 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I get why people are antsy for Burfict - he is the lone Pro Bowler in that linebacking corps.

But - he hasn't been on the field since last October. I tend to agree with Marvin Lewis when he says that until a guy practices, he doesn't exist. Albert Breer's video was nice, sure - mainly because we don't usually get to see Tez during the few minutes of open practice we get. But honestly that's no different than the stuff he's been doing since training camp.

We won't know anything until Monday or Wednesday of next week. And here's how that will work:

1. IF he's on the field, in a helmet and jersey, "practicing" - the Bengals are given a roster exemption to allow him to do that to see if he CAN practice That doesn't mean he WILL. It just means the league allows them that opportunity to find out.

2. IF he is doing that, they have 21 days from that point to decide what to do with him - activate him, IR, etc.

Now, let's look at the schedule. They're 6-0. The linebackers are healthy. They've got a game on Nov. 1, and then another four days later. I highly doubt he plays in either. I could be wrong, but IF he's practicing this week, on Oct. 26, they'll wait 15 days until the week before Houston to see what they want to do. By that point, they could have a guy on IR.

Fast forward that timeline each week. Burfict is a guy who will have to prove he's in game shape to play. History or not, Lewis won't let him roll into practice on a Thursday, activate him and cut a guy on a Friday, and have him play on a Sunday. Doesn't work that way.

Thanks for this, i kind of figured...
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 12:23 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I've been on the tempered expectations for Burfict all year.  Look at the history of this organization and how they handle injuries.  We might see Burfict because I truly believe he wants to be out there, but lets be realistic.  I highly doubt we see him until the last 25% of the year.  Remember, the Bengals have until week 11 to activate him off PUP...and another 3 weeks (week 14) to put him on the 53-man roster.  It's possible they hold out as long as they can without needing him...and he doesn't play until the last 3 or 4 games.

Those wanting to see him in week 8 or week 9 are living in another reality.  I'll bet he isn't even practicing by then.
As others have opined, I also don't want him to practice/play until he is fully healed and has undergone extensive tutoring on "How to Tackle" - without injuring yourself repeatedly".
Reply/Quote
I don't think people would be as antsy for Burflict if our LBers were playing well. But they have not played well and in fact have been atrocious. Between the poor tackling, being constantly out of position and taking bad angles and overall lackluster pass coverage the real wonder is that the D has not given up more per game than they already have.

Sad comedown for this defense from the level Zimmer had them at with essentially the same cast.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 04:07 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I get why people are antsy for Burfict - he is the lone Pro Bowler in that linebacking corps.

Stranger things have happened.  Antonio Bryant immediately comes to mind.  Correct me if I'm wrong; Bryant entered the 2010 training camp coming back from a knee injury.  The coaching staff could have had Bryant run routes off to the side to test the knee.  Instead they allowed him to participate fully in practice, he exacerbated the knee, and was released before the start of the season, and the team had to pay him $8 million guaranteed.  However, if memory serves me correctly, if they had him work off to the side and the knee flared up the team wouldn't have to pay the guaranteed money.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 08:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: I don't think people would be as antsy for Burflict if our LBers were playing well. But they have not played well and in fact have been atrocious. Between the poor tackling, being constantly out of position and taking bad angles and overall lackluster pass coverage the real wonder is that the D has not given up more per game than they already have.

Sad comedown for this defense from the level Zimmer had them at with essentially the same cast.

Burfict made such a difference when he was in there. When he went down last year our run defense dropped significantly. I'm just looking forward to when he returns, whenever that is. If he's in football shape, the D should elevate. Once he gets on the field and makes his presence felt, teams will once again have to account for him.

He'll also get his share of penalties most likely cause that seems to come with the territory. Sometimes, the occasional roughing up the opposition is called for. Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I honestly don't think Burflict will do much of anything until early December. I'm sure they'll ease him back in. He needs to get into football shape and that usually takes about a month. Even then we'll have to see whether he's the same Burflict. He certainly has/had a nose for the ball. Just an instinctive player.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Nice write up Jows. For these reasons, I don't think he will play the entire year

What a shame but I get it Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 06:48 AM)Whacked Wrote: Nice write up Jows. For these reasons, I don't think he will play the entire year

What a shame but I get it Sad

Nothing in Jim's write up indicates that he will not play this year.

So what exactly is it that you "get"?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing in Jim's write up indicates that he will not play this year.

So what exactly is it that you "get"?

the 1st round OT?  no need to activiate him unless an injury occurs...  no reason to cut someone from an 6-0 team right now to make room for a rookie with no practice.  If needed im sure he will factor in but right now hes being redshirted.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 12:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the 1st round OT? 

No.  He is talking about Burfict.
Reply/Quote