Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia School System closes for the day over threats bc of Islam homework
(12-20-2015, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What a bunch of losers. Don't they look small and insignificant from the pedestal we have placed ourselves on?

But enough about me.

Solid post though.

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-20-2015, 12:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  As sad as it makes you, society establishes the norms.
This doesn't make me sad.  Wnat makes me sad is when a few parents claim that they are "special" and do not have to comply with the norms established by society.  
(12-20-2015, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This doesn't make me sad.  Wnat makes me sad is when a few parents claim that they are "special" and do not have to comply with the norms established by society.  

Are you an expert in the societal norms of rural Virginia?

I get: you do not think this teacher had a lapse in judgement and blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the community. I feel the teacher shares a role in the situation and should have been more in tune with the community she is charged with educating. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-20-2015, 01:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you an expert in the societal norms of rural Virginia?

I get: you do not think this teacher had a lapse in judgement and blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the community. I feel the teacher shares a role in the situation and should have been more in tune with the community she is charged with educating. 

I am an expert on the society in which these children will have to function if they ever want to come out of the hills.

Again, you can't say society sets the norms and then say everyone can set their own norms.  These people think they are special and deserve special treatment.  That means they do not want to function by the norms that society has set.
(12-20-2015, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am an expert on the society in which these children will have to function if they ever want to come out of the hills.

Again, you can't say society sets the norms and then say everyone can set their own norms.  These people think they are special and deserve special treatment.  That means they do not want to function by the norms that society has set.

You have no idea what society this children will eventually settle-in, much less be an expert on it. When/if they relocate they will be required to conform to the norms of that society, just as the teacher has now been required to the norms of the society, in which, she educates. 

You claim these  children have been dis-served by this action, while I see it as a life experience. There may be a small Fred in this community that sees this and seeks to change to norms of his society or there might be a small bfine (he takes small Fred's lunch money on a daily basis) that sees this and understands you must assimilate to the culture, in which, you reside.  

(12-20-2015, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You have no idea what society this children will eventually settle-in, much less be an expert on it. When/if they relocate they will be required to conform to the norms of that society, just as the teacher has now been required to the norms of the society, in which, she educates. 

You claim these  children have been dis-served by this action, while I see it as a life experience. There may be a small Fred in this community that sees this and seeks to change to norms of his society or there might be a small bfine (he takes small Fred's lunch money on a daily basis) that sees this and understands you must assimilate to the culture, in which, you reside.  

Did the children complain?

I'm just curious if any of them felt they were being forced to give up their religion or denounce it in some way or this was the coming from "A" parent you lives in a world filled with fear.
(12-20-2015, 01:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did the children complain?

I'm just curious if any of them felt they were being forced to give up their religion or denounce it in some way or this was the coming from "A" parent you lives in a world filled with fear.

The video in the OP shows one kid complaining about the assignment. Who knows how many more there where.

(12-20-2015, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The video in the OP shows one kid complaining about the assignment. Who knows how many more there where.

Well, one.

Which is a good sign of the indoctrination of children with religion at a young age.  I went to Catholic school my whole life and remember learning about all kinds of different religions and their beliefs in history class.  Oddly never made we want to change my religion (that came after I was an adult and got out of the catholic school system).

Actually rereading this I think we should stop teaching about all cultures...even American.

Just cut the course and teach math.

Just don't teach where the math theories come from.   Smirk
(12-20-2015, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well, one.

They probably just didn't have enough time to put the rest on camera. On second thought, you're most likely right, she was the only one. 

(12-20-2015, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well, one.

The rest were so deeply indoctrinated that they refused to have their image recorded.
Ninja
(12-20-2015, 02:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They probably just didn't have enough time to put the rest on camera. On second thought, you're most likely right, she was the only one. 

Well I mean we *could* guess or make up a number.

I guess that would help with the discussion. 

I mean we could guess that it was more the adults since there was only one on video...and most kids don't call and email threats over their religion.

I guess.
(12-20-2015, 01:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did the children complain?

Most of them had no issue. On the local media and social media there have been many more in support of the teacher than against her. The son of the mother that started all of this just wants to go back to school and has no issue with the assignment. His mother has said she will not let her son return to school while the teacher is still there.
(12-20-2015, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  there might be a small bfine (he takes small Fred's lunch money on a daily basis) that sees this and understands you must assimilate to the culture, in which, you reside.  

And the bfines of the world were the ones who supported denying women the right to vote, opposed letting black people into "white" establisments, opposed interracial marriage, etc etc etc.  And of course since they were raised by Christians they were fine with stealing from another person.  If they were raised in Nazi Germany they would have been te ones happilyn supporting the extermination of the Jerws.

You know, the ones too brainwashed or just too cowardly to change things that need to be changed.  And too lacing in morals to even realize that theaft was wrong.
(12-20-2015, 01:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you an expert in the societal norms of rural Virginia?

No, but I had sex with my cousin once.
(12-21-2015, 02:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: No, but I had sex with my cousin once.

Hey now, we're not West Virginia.
(12-21-2015, 08:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hey now, we're not West Virginia. Ninja

West Virginia, the butt of all jokes in Virginia and Maryland. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-21-2015, 09:40 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: West Virginia, the butt of all jokes in Virginia and Maryland. 

Ohio, too.

Beautiful state though.
(12-21-2015, 09:40 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: West Virginia, the butt of all jokes in Virginia and Maryland. 

The funny thing is that the county I am in would have been in WV if not for the natural boundaries. We were against secession from the union.

(12-21-2015, 10:47 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Ohio, too.

Beautiful state though.

Absolutely. The district I am in Scouting wise contains Pendleton County and so I have done a lot of camping and hiking there. Our mountains may not be as tall as all of that business out west, but we have some beautiful scenery around these parts.
(12-21-2015, 10:52 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The funny thing is that the county I am in would have been in WV if not for the natural boundaries. We were against secession from the union.

Absolutely. The district I am in Scouting wise contains Pendleton County and so I have done a lot of camping and hiking there. Our mountains may not be as tall as all of that business out west, but we have some beautiful scenery around these parts.

We canoed and camped "The Trough" a few times, on the south branch of thr Potomac.
It was beautiful and I've been dying to go back.
(12-21-2015, 01:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And the bfines of the world were the ones who supported denying women the right to vote, opposed letting black people into "white" establisments, opposed interracial marriage, etc etc etc.  And of course since they were raised by Christians they were fine with stealing from another person.  If they were raised in Nazi Germany they would have been te ones happilyn supporting the extermination of the Jerws.

You know, the ones too brainwashed or just too cowardly to change things that need to be changed.  And too lacing in morals to even realize that theaft was wrong.

Nope, the bfines were Republican. It was them Dems that did all that stuff while the Republicans fought for change.

What's your Political affiliation?

BTW, upload your lunch money to my goggle wallet