Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia ending the death penalty
(02-22-2021, 05:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote:  Yes I would like my chances of being found innocent if I were on death row.  

How can you say that when you have a limited time to prove your innocence on death row as opposed to your entire natural life?

New evidence does not arise any more often for death row inmates than people with life sentences.

Confessions by the true perpetrator don't happen any more often for death row inmates than people with life sentences.

The disproving of junk science does not help people on death row any more than people with life sentences. 

The discovery of prosecutorial misconduct does not happen any more often for death row inmates than for people with life sentences.

So why would you rather have a death penalty than a life sentence if you were innocent?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you say that when you have a limited time to prove your innocence on death row as opposed to your entire natural life?

New evidence does not arise any more often for death row inmates than people with life sentences.

Confessions by the true perpetrator don't happen any more often for death row inmates than people with life sentences.

The disproving of junk science does not help people on death row any more than people with life sentences. 

The discovery of prosecutorial misconduct does not happen any more often for death row inmates than for people with life sentences.

So why would you rather have a death penalty than a life sentence if you were innocent?

Because it seems, and correct me if I'm wrong,  more  people are looking for those things.  Attorneys are more willing to take on the appeals process for whatever it is they get paid for that by the government.  Especially as the inmate approaches the execution date.  

And personally I think I'd prefer the death penalty to hoping something comes up 45 years later. Obviously I can't say that's how I'd feel if it were happening, but right now I think I would prefer that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 06:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And personally I think I'd prefer the death penalty to hoping something comes up 45 years later.

The average time between conviction and execution is about 16 years, but a lot happen much quicker than that.

But, yeah, I am sure that if you got the death penalty for something you did not do you'd just give up any fight and accept it with a "meh".
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 03:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Some people just deserve to die.

Well we're all going to... Probably all have it comin' too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 11:23 PM)jason Wrote: Well we're all going to... Probably all have it comin' too.

This is as uplifting as a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.

As far as the OP... good. There's no reason to have the death penalty and a half dozen reasons not to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote