Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vocabulary? trends that make me an annoyed old man
Does anyone else ever notice oddities when you hear a phrase or adjective that you don't normally hear and then all of a sudden you're hearing it everywhere? When I notice things like that I find myself unreasonably annoyed by it. Not like new slang or something...like when my son started saying "bet" several years ago...once i figured out wtf he meant it didn't seem like it was a big deal.

But now people all of a sudden have to use "masterclass" to describe every f'n thing. It's like some dictionary.com word of the day shit. Another one is "banger." Every song that every person now likes is called a "banger".

Less infuriating, but still annoying....people who have to start off a sentence with "My guy," or every human being that utters the phrase "Let's go!" or "Let's ***** go!" to celebrate.

I used to hear "pardigrm shift" only from annoying project managers pushing "new" methodologies and now everyone loves saying it.

I'm sure there are plenty more...but masterclass is just the stupidest word ever.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
ARD
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:19 PM)basballguy Wrote: Does anyone else ever notice oddities when you hear a phrase or adjective that you don't normally hear and then all of a sudden you're hearing it everywhere?  When I notice things like that I find myself unreasonably annoyed by it.  Not like new slang or something...like when my son started saying "bet" several years ago...once i figured out wtf he meant it didn't seem like it was a big deal.  

But now people all of a sudden have to use "masterclass" to describe every f'n thing.  It's like some dictionary.com word of the day shit.  Another one is "banger."  Every song that every person now likes is called a "banger".  

Less infuriating, but still annoying....people who have to start off a sentence with "My guy," or every human being that utters the phrase "Let's go!" or "Let's ***** go!" to celebrate.  

I used to hear "pardigrm shift" only from annoying project managers pushing "new" methodologies and now everyone loves saying it.  

I'm sure there are plenty more...but masterclass is just the stupidest word ever.

My guy, relax. Your post is a masterclass banger, so let's go! Bet?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:27 PM)Interceptor Wrote: My guy, relax. Your post is a masterclass banger, so let's go! Bet?

It's a given someone would reply with this.  :)

Though I wonder if there are others that notice these things.
Reply/Quote
My guy, bet!!!!!!!!!!1

Even Burrow uses "my guy". We're old now.
Reply/Quote
I passionately hate “Let’s go!!!!”
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:50 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I passionately hate “Let’s go!!!!”

Yeah, the LFG is the worst. Burrow's "let's go!" seems so weak to me. Get creative, *****!

What I usually say back to the youngins is "Let us go!!!" and remove the contraction.
Reply/Quote
My annoyance is with pronunciation.

When people don't say the "t" in words.

Examples: Impor(t)ant, moun(t)ain, bea(t)en.

Especially when it's someone in professional media.

I've heard it on regular news broadcasts.

One day I was listening to a sports program on XM and these guys kept saying "Already bea(t)en by the Ti(t)ans" over and over.

I had to change the channel. Bang Head
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 02:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: My annoyance is with pronunciation.

When people don't say the "t" in words.

Examples: Impor(t)ant, moun(t)ain, bea(t)en.

Especially when it's someone in professional media.

I've heard it on regular news broadcasts.

One day I was listening to a sports program on XM and these guys kept saying "Already bea(t)en by the Ti(t)ans" over and over.

I had to change the channel. Bang Head

This reminds me of a speaking nuance I typically only see in younger professionals (think fresh out of college) where they end every sentence in a way where it sounds like they are asking a question.  Meaning they raise their inflection of the last word in the sentence.  So they could say an entire sentence normally except for that last word and it suddenly sounds like they're asking a question.  

This is called "upspeak/uptalk" and it makes me hate my life for however long that person has to talk.  

The worst part is it's not really something you can coach them on without sounding like an asshole.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 03:28 PM)basballguy Wrote: This reminds me of a speaking nuance I typically only see in younger professionals (think fresh out of college) where they end every sentence in a way where it sounds like they are asking a question.  Meaning they raise their inflection of the last word in the sentence.  So they could say an entire sentence normally except for that last word and it suddenly sounds like they're asking a question.  

This is called "upspeak/uptalk" and it makes me hate my life for however long that person has to talk.  

The worst part is it's not really something you can coach them on without sounding like an asshole.  

Yes.  This is very annoying.  I agree there is no easy way to convey it as an issue. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:19 PM)basballguy Wrote: Does anyone else ever notice oddities when you hear a phrase or adjective that you don't normally hear and then all of a sudden you're hearing it everywhere?  When I notice things like that I find myself unreasonably annoyed by it.  Not like new slang or something...like when my son started saying "bet" several years ago...once i figured out wtf he meant it didn't seem like it was a big deal.  

But now people all of a sudden have to use "masterclass" to describe every f'n thing.  It's like some dictionary.com word of the day shit.  Another one is "banger."  Every song that every person now likes is called a "banger".  

I am sorry, but I can't figure out why any of this would annoy you.

What is wrong with new words?

And if you really get annoyed by something as simple as the phrase "Let's go" then you need to seek some professional help.  You have a problem.
Reply/Quote
My wife's been a scopist transcribing court records for over 40 years now. She has an absolutely amazing vocabulary.. nearly every job I listen to her rants of how professional, trained lawyers can't use the proper kings English even with a 12 year degree.. She OFTEN uses the notation (sic)
I have a good vocabulary I like to think even though my powers to diagram sentences has probably weakened over the past 50 or so years..  Tongue It's been a little bit since the last time anyone ever asked me to diagram a sentence.. I used to be good at it. English and grammar were just a few of the subjects I could breeze through in school.. Mathematics was never among those subjects I could handle..In fact I'm in favor of shooting people who like math..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
“Living my best life.”

Oh, stfu.
Reply/Quote
This is the biggest "you kids get off my lawn" thread I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:11 PM)Beaker Wrote: This is the biggest "you kids get off my lawn" thread I've ever seen.

Are you implying only young people have these tendencies?

None of this is age specific
Reply/Quote

How about... Its FIRE!!!...

i come from the napster Era... Where FIRE BAD!!!! now Fire means good?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 08:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: “Living my best life.”

Oh, stfu.

Be best.. The former first stripper said to be best..  Tongue

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
And by the way...Stay off my lawn! Only because most of you live too far away to bother walking on my lawn in the first place. Actually I'd prefer you all drop by and walk on my lawn so I won't have to cut it as often.. 
WALK ON MY LAWN DAMMIT! 

Reply/Quote
People use "myself" incorrectly all the time. I don't know if they think it sounds more formal or what, but where most people probably don't even notice it, it annoys the hell out of me.

Also I'm tired of "pivoting". Oh and "my truth". Whatever the eff that means.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 05:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: People use "myself" incorrectly all the time.  I don't know if they think it sounds more formal or what, but where most people probably don't even notice it, it annoys the hell out of me.

Also I'm tired of "pivoting".  Oh and "my truth".  Whatever the eff that means.

Funny you say that, the NBA has also grown tired of pivoting
Reply/Quote