Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voch Lombardi's Mock Pick for Bengals at #9
(03-30-2017, 05:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am not sure where I said Boyd can play inside or out BECAUSE of his speed. Boyd can play inside or out because he can beat press, run a full route tree, run crisp routes and has enough speed to get deep (Boyd ran a faster 40 time than Larry Fitzgerald). Boyd's comparison coming out was Keenan Allen and he didn't show anything last season that says he can't still be on that level.

Ross measured 5'11 at the combine not 6'1.

What has captivated everyone is his speed, he can catch along with a bunch of other WR's but it's his speed that makes everyone so giddy. I am telling you that the guy will need to work on getting off press and people are losing their mind. I am not saying he can't be good, but people act like speed means success when Al Davis proved that was not the case. Go look at the list of the top 10 40 times in combine history.

Good stuff, thanks for correcting me on JR's size. He would have problems getting off of press coverage if
you don't line him up fast enough. I think in an up-tempo Offense where Dalton seems to thrive he would
fit perfectly. Tossing him quick Slants would really take pressure off.

I am definately captivated by his speed, as i should be. That is faster than Heyward Bey by quite a bit and
unlike Bey, Ross has good hands. Davis is actually falling down my board more cause he played against weak
competition and we don't know how fast he is honestly.

Atleast Mike Williams ran the forty at his pro day and shed my fears.

Not for taking a WR at 9 but if we did, i hope it is John Ross or Mike Williams now.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 08:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: All that's cool, but it doesn't change the fact he hasn't shown he can beat press. Alabama pressed him and they neutralized him. In the NFL teams will press him because that's what his weakness is, they will dare to because they can.

I'm not saying he won't be good but the hype lately is out of control. He isn't a day one superstar like people expect. Id expect Fuller/Boyd production as a rookie.

One of the big knocks on DeSean Jackson coming out of college was he had difficulty beating press man.  This is not a fatal flaw that can't be overcome.  Truth is, any college WR that's a mid 4.4 guy or better didn't deal with a lot of press man in college, and has to learn to overcome it in the pros.  Plus, even if he struggles with it as a rookie, there's lots of ways to beat press man with scheme.  You can stack receivers, run bunch formations, put him in motion, line him up off the LoS, and/or run rub/pick plays.  Plus, it's not press man he struggled with against Alabama.  Ross clowned A'doree Jackson when USC tried to run press man on him.  What he struggled with was Marlon Humphrey's jam, and Humphrey has a very good jam.  Not every NFL CB has a good/great jam, so you move the guy around and try to get the matchup you want.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: One of the big knocks on DeSean Jackson coming out of college was he had difficulty beating press man.  This is not a fatal flaw that can't be overcome.  Truth is, any college WR that's a mid 4.4 guy or better didn't deal with a lot of press man in college, and has to learn to overcome it in the pros.  Plus, even if he struggles with it as a rookie, there's lots of ways to beat press man with scheme.  You can stack receivers, run bunch formations, put him in motion, line him up off the LoS, and/or run rub/pick plays.  Plus, it's not press man he struggled with against Alabama.  Ross clowned A'doree Jackson when USC tried to run press man on him.  What he struggled with was Marlon Humphrey's jam, and Humphrey has a very good jam.  Not every NFL CB has a good/great jam, so you move the guy around and try to get the matchup you want.

Hunphrey's press is average, sub par for what nick Saban normally puts out, but I agree that all rookies struggle. I know wiiams can beat it because I have seen it, Ross id like to see more but it doesn't mean he can't. I look at it as Williams is the safest pick at WR because at worst he can be a red zone target and a chain mover running slants at his ceiling he could be a good jump ball down field guy. Ross could be OBJ or he could be DHB.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: One of the big knocks on DeSean Jackson coming out of college was he had difficulty beating press man.  This is not a fatal flaw that can't be overcome.  Truth is, any college WR that's a mid 4.4 guy or better didn't deal with a lot of press man in college, and has to learn to overcome it in the pros.  Plus, even if he struggles with it as a rookie, there's lots of ways to beat press man with scheme.  You can stack receivers, run bunch formations, put him in motion, line him up off the LoS, and/or run rub/pick plays.  Plus, it's not press man he struggled with against Alabama.  Ross clowned A'doree Jackson when USC tried to run press man on him.  What he struggled with was Marlon Humphrey's jam, and Humphrey has a very good jam.  Not every NFL CB has a good/great jam, so you move the guy around and try to get the matchup you want.

Nice post man. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 09:47 PM)pulses Wrote: LMAO anybody can see he is NOT a 4.7 40 guy....he's faster than mike williams and we all know what he ran.

4.49 from williams. Im expecting a 4.39-4.42 from davis
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: For everyone who loves John Ross, go put on the Colorado tape and tell me you love the guy you see (not like but top 10 love the guy). Even against an okay defense that doesn't run press man he looked just okay. He had multiple drops and he had to double catch a couple balls.

We get it.  You're on an anti-Ross quest.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2017, 02:34 PM)I WEEMcC Wrote: We get it.  You're on an anti-Ross quest.

Because I watch the tape not the 40 yard dash. It's not anti Ross it's Anti Ross in the top 10. I have said many times I don't think any of these WRs are worth a top 10 pick. If I had to take one is take Williams because he has the heighest floor. 
Reply/Quote