Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voch Lombardi's Mock Pick for Bengals at #9
He said he doesn't see any one defensive player helping the Bengals defense all that much. I guess he meant Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster, because those were the two best defensive players he left on the board.

He said he wants to see this guy lining up on the other side of the field from AJ Green.. Yeah, he has us taking a WR at #9, and his top WR is Corey Davis.

You can watch his full First Round mock here.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 11:49 AM)Shady Wrote: He said he doesn't see any one defensive player helping the Bengals defense all that much. I guess he meant Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster, because those were the two best defensive players he left on the board.

He said he wants to see this guy lining up on the other side of the field from AJ Green.. Yeah, he has us taking a WR at #9, and his top WR is Corey Davis.  

Just don't see it. Lafell didn't get paid to not start opposite AJ. We spent a 2nd on Boyd last year and he performed well. The coaches are really high on Cody Core and Alex Erickson. Frankly, I see us taking a mid to late round WR and the rest are UDFA.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Just don't see it. Lafell didn't get paid to not start opposite AJ. We spent a 2nd on Boyd last year and he performed well. The coaches are really high on Cody Core and Alex Erickson. Frankly, I see us taking a mid to late round WR and the rest are UDFA.

LaFell signed a 2 year deal, if they are convinced that a WR is the BPA, I don't see that stopping them.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:17 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LaFell signed a 2 year deal, if they are convinced that a WR is the BPA, I don't see that stopping them.

I think the investment last year in Boyd combined with it does. Hobson keeps harping on the WR's not being worth a top 10 pick and I really think they feel the same way, none of the WR's in this class are Green or Julio.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the investment last year in Boyd combined with it does. Hobson keeps harping on the WR's not being worth a top 10 pick and I really think they feel the same way, none of the WR's in this class are Green or Julio.

I think we are looking at 2 different types of WRs tough.  Boyd is a very good #3, slot type option, but we still need a guy that can threaten defenses across from AJ.  LaFell may be able to do that for a couple years, but I don't see Core being a true #2 moving forward.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to lie, I have never been thrilled with the Corey Davis draft pick. What furthers my concern is that we did not get to see him run any drills at the combine and I don't believe he has a pro day. So if he is actually a 4.7 40 player, we have no idea. And then we draft him and he can't get separation in the NFL and we feel like a bunch of idiots...

If the coaches are confident in him such that they'd draft him, then I'm fine with it. But I have been concerned with drafting raw receivers ever since Jerome Simpson played like garbage for most of his career here.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm not going to lie, I have never been thrilled with the Corey Davis draft pick. What furthers my concern is that we did not get to see him run any drills at the combine and I don't believe he has a pro day. So if he is actually a 4.7 40 player, we have no idea. And then we draft him and he can't get separation in the NFL and we feel like a bunch of idiots...

If the coaches are confident in him such that they'd draft him, then I'm fine with it. But I have been concerned with drafting raw receivers ever since Jerome Simpson played like garbage for most of his career here.

Agree.  Work out numbers matter to me.  Health counts.  The Bears drafted Kevin White at number 7 overall two years ago and have gotten four games out of him.  Not saying Davis is that, but that is the buyer beware you can get when guys aren't healthy.  Not to mention what you said, who knows his true speed
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 01:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think we are looking at 2 different types of WRs tough.  Boyd is a very good #3, slot type option, but we still need a guy that can threaten defenses across from AJ.  LaFell may be able to do that for a couple years, but I don't see Core being a true #2 moving forward.

Boyd can play inside or out, and had as good as a rookie season as almost all the WR's from last years "good" class. Core is definitely an outside the hash marks WR that ahs the ability to stretch the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 11:49 AM)Shady Wrote: He said he doesn't see any one defensive player helping the Bengals defense all that much. I guess he meant Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster, because those were the two best defensive players he left on the board.

If the receiver is John Ross,  I'm down with it.  He gives us something we don't have.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:01 PM)McC Wrote: If the receiver is John Ross,  I'm down with it.  He gives us something we don't have.  

A little guy who can't use his hands to get off press? I kid, kind of but seriously I think people are enamored with his speed, but the guy runs a pretty limited route tree.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: A little guy who can't use his hands to get off press? I kid, kind of but seriously I think people are enamored with his speed, but the guy runs a pretty limited route tree.

Except he was one of the best red zone producers in college.  Tough to overlook that.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except he was one of the best red zone producers in college.  Tough to overlook that.

You can scheme him open yes, but in a man press situation with no motion, stacking, or bunching the guy struggles. He showed it against a just "okay" press man CB in Marlon Humphry.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Just don't see it. Lafell didn't get paid to not start opposite AJ. We spent a 2nd on Boyd last year and he performed well. The coaches are really high on Cody Core and Alex Erickson. Frankly, I see us taking a mid to late round WR and the rest are UDFA.

lafell has 0 guarenteed his second year. I easily see us taking a wr. Remember we already met with mike williams. Boyd is a great slot nothing more.lafell gets cut next year if we go wr.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 06:53 PM)Jpoore Wrote: lafell has 0 guarenteed his second year. I easily see us taking a wr. Remember we already met with mike williams. Boyd is a great slot nothing more.lafell gets cut next year if we go wr.

Boyd skill set translates outside he can beat press and create separation against top guys not sure where this slot WR narrative came from.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can scheme him open yes, but in a man press situation with no motion, stacking, or bunching the guy struggles. He showed it against a just "okay" press man CB in Marlon Humphry.

That performance had a lot more to do with the Alabama defense giving Browning ZERO time to throw.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: A little guy who can't use his hands to get off press? I kid, kind of but seriously I think people are enamored with his speed, but the guy runs a pretty limited route tree.

Not that Dave Lapham's word is gospel, but he said he saw us taking a "receiver" at 9 if a DE wasn't there. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

He is an outstanding route runner and effortlessly quick off the line.  When CB's turn their hips on him, which they will, every route is available to him.  And if he's near you, he's by you.

He doesn't just have speed.  He has holy shit speed and incredible quickness.  I don't know if defenses will dare to press cover him. 

And he is the same size as the most prolific receiver in the game.  And he won't be asked to carry the load.  Just bring the big play ability that defense will be forced to respect.  In other words, a thing we don't have.

There are two guys in this draft who probably won't be gone when it's our turn who would bring instant impact for us--John Ross, OJ Howard.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 07:35 PM)McC Wrote: He is an outstanding route runner and effortlessly quick off the line.  When CB's turn their hips on him, which they will, every route is available to him.  And if he's near you, he's by you.

He doesn't just have speed.  He has holy shit speed and incredible quickness.  I don't know if defenses will dare to press cover him. 

And he is the same size as the most prolific receiver in the game.  And he won't be asked to carry the load.  Just bring the big play ability that defense will be forced to respect.  In other words, a thing we don't have.

There are two guys in this draft who probably won't be gone when it's our turn who would bring instant impact for us--John Ross, OJ Howard.

All that's cool, but it doesn't change the fact he hasn't shown he can beat press. Alabama pressed him and they neutralized him. In the NFL teams will press him because that's what his weakness is, they will dare to because they can.

I'm not saying he won't be good but the hype lately is out of control. He isn't a day one superstar like people expect. Id expect Fuller/Boyd production as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 03:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Agree.  Work out numbers matter to me.  Health counts.  The Bears drafted Kevin White at number 7 overall two years ago and have gotten four games out of him.  Not saying Davis is that, but that is the buyer beware you can get when guys aren't healthy.  Not to mention what you said, who knows his true speed
In white case, he had 0 route tree. They thought they could coach him up.
(03-28-2017, 06:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Boyd skill set translates outside he can beat press and create separation against top guys not sure where this slot WR narrative came from.
Yes but hes at that 2/3 edge. Put it this way. If u had to play him full time in 1 spot, would it be the 1,2, or 3? It would be the 3.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 10:19 PM)Jpoore Wrote: In white case, he had 0 route tree. They thought they could coach him up.
Yes but hes at that 2/3 edge. Put it this way. If u had to play him full time in 1 spot, would it be the 1,2, or 3? It would be the 3.

Disagree, for me it would be at 2. Interestingly enough look for LaFell to move inside more this year as he mentioned when signing here he likes to play the slot more than outside. I think last year they eased Boyd in, but this year you will see him in more two wide sets.
Reply/Quote