Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson name starting LG
(08-31-2022, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, but sometimes players turn out to be... busts.  I mean, imagine how the Raiders fans must feel about Leatherwood being a bust, or like we did when Billy Pryor turned out to be fool's gold?  Sometimes average players look really good on their college teams, because they are playing on teams loaded with NFL talent.

Here's to Volson, making the most of his opportunity after coming out of the small school.

I would say a under performing player actually stands out more on a good time especially on tape.  The NFL has pages and pages of guys that played well in college and were drafted in the high rounds but never worked out.  no team have a recipe for "no busts" but some teams have better history of less busts for sure and those can the teams that succeed more. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So in essence in your eyes Volson did not win the job, Carmen lost it, but nether is or will be any good because one was over drafted and the other Volson can't be good or great since a 4th round pick.

I am not saying Carmen will be good either, but it is these type of comparisons that pidgin hole players in this forum. Volson beat out other vets at LG, another guard has been signed and he may stay the starter. That does not make him bad. There is not a vet on the roster who will not make mistakes.

Heck, Brady throws pick 6's every year (huge mistake), but his great plays make up for the bone headed plays.

I never said any of those words, you did.  All I did was point out that some guys bust, and alluded toward the notion that it could be that the holes in their game get masked by playing on outstanding college squads.

But, since you're begging the question, I'll go ahead and say that Volson won the job fair and square.  Carman has so far failed to show any leap in progression from year one to year two, and thus cost himself being named the starter to open the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: LMAO! Did someone put some of that non stick varnish from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on that hot sauce bottle? Hilarious

A non-nutritive cereal varnish?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well that other thread didnt age well

The people. that swore Jackson was going to be so great after we signed him probably don't want to see that thread again.

I think he is his own worst enemy. He has the physical tools but his mental attitude and dedication seems to be his biggest detriment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is nice about Cordell Volson is he was the NFL talent on his small school team...

Not on a team loaded with NFL talent...

He was the one that stood out in a great way.

His former OL teammate Dillon Radunz has looked bad and was drafted higher in last year's draft. Rookie Petite Frere - who I kinda liked-  beat him out this preseason.   Hopefully Volson fares much better.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:43 PM)GodFather Wrote: The people. that swore Jackson was going to be so great after we signed him probably don't want to see that thread again.

A good number of members on here tried to tell those folks that Carman wasn't the answer..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
At least with Price we used him for highway robbery of the Giants. Remember a number of us were rather surprised we got a starting quality DT for Price.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:42 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: A non-nutritive cereal varnish?

Bingo. Hilarious

(08-31-2022, 04:04 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: His former OL teammate Dillon Radunz has looked bad and was drafted higher in last year's draft. Rookie Petite Frere - who I kinda liked-  beat him out this preseason.   Hopefully Volson fares much better.  

I think he will, here is to hoping.Cheers

Sure should help having Jonah and Ted on both sides of him instead of terrible backups besides Trey Hill who played decent.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I guess we are going the same thing at LG that we did the previous few years...flying by the seat of our pants.

I hope Volson is a nice surprise, but this isn't good enough IMO.

I agree.They should have spared no expense on the OL.That was this teams only glaring weakness last year.As was mentioned before,I wouldn’t be disappointed if they placed Trey Hill at Center and moved Karras to LG,where Karras is actually better than at Center.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A good number of members on here tried to tell those folks that Carman wasn't the answer..

Do you genuinely think Volson is the answer like some people here seem to think? I pray that he is but his PFF grades were also trash. Carman played really well his first start and then got worse as the year went on. Who knows what will happen with Volson who we really only saw once.

The joy that some people here seem to be getting from Carman or other players they don't like not succeeding is weird (not saying you're in that group of people.)
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 07:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: Do you genuinely think Volson is the answer like some people here seem to think? I pray that he is but his PFF grades were also trash. Carman played really well his first start and then got worse as the year went on. Who knows what will happen with Volson who we really only saw once.

The joy that some people here seem to be getting from Carman or other players they don't like not succeeding is weird (not saying you're in that group of people.)

neither are the answer this year, but Carman is certainly worse. Scharping will overtake that LG spot if Volson starts getting spanked consistently 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: At least with Price we used him for highway robbery of the Giants. Remember a number of us were rather surprised we got a starting quality DT for Price.

Bengals definitely got nice value for Price. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 07:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: neither are the answer this year, but Carman is certainly worse. Scharping will overtake that LG spot if Volson starts getting spanked consistently 

Yeah that pickup makes me feel a lot better. I think we might have decent depth on the oline now.
Reply/Quote
Don’t know who they are talking about wouldn’t say but either Paul Alexander, Willie Anderson, or somebody at Clemson but somebody misled them on Carman. Not about his ability but either about his toughness or work ethic. That’s a fact. You can almost see it in their comments on Volson. What they say about him they’ve never said about Carman. But yes they were pleased with his recent work and effort.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t know who they are talking about wouldn’t say but either Paul Alexander, Willie Anderson, or somebody at Clemson but somebody misled them on Carman. Not about his ability but either about his toughness or work ethic. That’s a fact. You can almost see it in their comments on Volson. What they say about him they’ve never said about Carman. But yes they were pleased with his recent work and effort.

I think it's a talent evaluation issue, honestly.  OL is extremely tough to hit on anymore in the first place and the team consistently values upside and physical traits over technique, intelligence, and work ethic.  Carman was a high upside guy.  So were Jordan, Ogbuehi, Smith, etc.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think it's a talent evaluation issue, honestly.  OL is extremely tough to hit on anymore in the first place and the team consistently values upside and physical traits over technique, intelligence, and work ethic.  Carman was a high upside guy.  So were Jordan, Ogbuehi, Smith, etc.  

Not the impression I got. I don’t know but I think it’s toughness and playing hard every down.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think it's a talent evaluation issue, honestly.  OL is extremely tough to hit on anymore in the first place and the team consistently values upside and physical traits over technique, intelligence, and work ethic.  Carman was a high upside guy.  So were Jordan, Ogbuehi, Smith, etc.  

First round offensive line is like 50/50 last time I checked. A big issue in the modern NFL is lack of ull contact reps in practice. Because of the NFLPA rules the number of full contact reps is way down and those reps are extremely important for Offensive Linemen. So now it's a learn on the job process in games for alot of these young guys. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:43 PM)GodFather Wrote: The people. that swore Jackson was going to be so great after we signed him probably don't want to see that thread again.

I think he is his own worst enemy. He has the physical tools but his mental attitude and dedication seems to be his biggest detriment. 

Draft discussion from last year was highly toxic.  There's a group of people that are going to be optimistic no matter who the pick is.  Aside from them, there was the big Chase vs Sewell debate and a crux of the Team Chase argument was that we'd be able to get a starting caliber OL in the 2nd.  That pick was going to get hyped or bashed more based on which side of that argument you fell on.  I don't think there were very many people at all that gave a take based on a dispassionate evaluation of Carman as a player.  Emotions were just way too high.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:00 PM)Synric Wrote: First round offensive line is like 50/50 last time I checked. A big issue in the modern NFL is lack of ull contact reps in practice. Because of the NFLPA rules the number of full contact reps is way down and those reps are extremely important for Offensive Linemen. So now it's a learn on the job process in games for alot of these young guys. 

Kinda crazy to think that there are OL out there right now that don't establish themselves as quality starters until their 2nd or 3rd contract.  

Zac also prefers not to push guys too hard in practice to get into the season with a healthy roster.  That also hampers you in development of young OL.  It's another reason why I don't like the volume of draft picks they've thrown at the OL the past two years.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well that other thread didnt age well

Tell me about it :) :) :) :)

My thread (Rest in peace) aged extremely well.
Reply/Quote