Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson name starting LG
(08-31-2022, 10:04 PM)SladeX Wrote: I didn’t like carmans demeanor the moment we drafted him.

Yeah, got to hate a guy who played through a back injury that required surgery after the season.  

I understand all the grief Carman is getting now, but what was there to dislike about him from the 'Moment we drafted him"?
Reply/Quote
I had high hopes for him. Still do...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, got to hate a guy who played through a back injury that required surgery after the season.  

I understand all the grief Carman is getting now, but what was there to dislike about him from the 'Moment we drafted him"?

They hated the draft pick to begin with. Only explanation.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They hated the draft pick to begin with. Only explanation.

No, not at all. His reaction when the pick was announced was nonplussed to say the least. I thought it was puzzling at the time, given he’s from the area.
Frankly I’m surprised he’s not starting now. I’m pulling for the kid. Hope he gets it together.
TBS his initial reaction has always made me wonder if he wants to play here. Because it sounds like he has plenty of talent. Maybe his attitude is great, and his lack of progression is a comedy of errors ( getting covid at exactly the wrong time ), I don’t know. But based off of what has been said here regarding his talent, he really ought to be doing better…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:25 PM)SladeX Wrote: No, not at all. His reaction when the pick was announced was nonplussed to say the least. I thought it was puzzling at the time, given he’s from the area.
Frankly I’m surprised he’s not starting now. I’m pulling for the kid. Hope he gets it together.
TBS his initial reaction has always made me wonder if he wants to play here. Because it sounds like he has plenty of talent. Maybe his attitude is great, and his lack of progression is a comedy of errors ( getting covid at exactly the wrong time ), I don’t know. But based off of what has been said here regarding his talent, he really ought to be doing better…

Oh, still don't understand thinking he doesn't want to be here just cause he has a certain personality that doesn't exude 
crazy excitement like some other's do. He is just young, he new right about where he was going to be drafted. I had him 
right around where we picked him but I did want Creed Humphrey over him though and Liam Eichenberg.

Still he is only 22 and Volson is 24, so youth, the back injury, the move to RG and then the covid sure hasn't made it a 
smooth transition. I still have hope for the guy.
Reply/Quote
I’m a ginger, so my emotions are right there (points to shoulder), lol.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, got to hate a guy who played through a back injury that required surgery after the season.  

It was what was available in the second round and how the Bengals chose to trade down and then end up with Carman as a result. It was a frustrating move for Bengal fans after watching the OL that season.

It also didn't help when Carman showed up overweight and out of shape to training camp...
Reply/Quote
Everybody needs to stop calling Jackson a lazy POS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hear me out on this one...

What if to start the season we use Volson and Max Scharping in a bit of a timeshare? Volson is the everydown LG but on obvious pass heavy situations (2 min drill, 3rd and long, down 2 scores late, etc) we bring in Scharping? He is a very solid pass blocker with 2200 snaps in the NFL so getting on the same page as Karas and Jonah shouldn't take long. This will also allow Volson to stay a bit more rested and not be 100% the full time starter.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 12:25 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Everybody needs to stop calling Jackson a lazy POS

Search says the last 10 instances of "lazy POS" being used on this board are all from posts of you and Fred saying Jackson Carman isn't one and people shouldn't call him one. Not one of people actually calling him one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:55 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Hear me out on this one...

What if to start the season we use Volson and Max Scharping in a bit of a timeshare? Volson is the everydown LG but on obvious pass heavy situations (2 min drill, 3rd and long, down 2 scores late, etc) we bring in Scharping? He is a very solid pass blocker with 2200 snaps in the NFL so getting on the same page as Karas and Jonah shouldn't take long. This will also allow Volson to stay a bit more rested and not be 100% the full time starter.

No offense, but that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. OL is a position where you need to get 5 guys to gel, and play together as a unit. Rotating players in and out like that would be counterproductive. They need continuity.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No offense, but that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. OL is a position where you need to get 5 guys to gel, and play together as a unit. Rotating players in and out like that would be counterproductive. They need continuity.

Correct. Volson needs all the reps he can get, he is the part of the future of this team if he grows into a solid guard. I suspect we will see Scharping only if Volson struggles.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:55 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Hear me out on this one...

What if to start the season we use Volson and Max Scharping in a bit of a timeshare?  Volson is the everydown LG but on obvious pass heavy situations (2 min drill, 3rd and long, down 2 scores late, etc) we bring in Scharping?  He is a very solid pass blocker with 2200 snaps in the NFL so getting on the same page as Karas and Jonah shouldn't take long.  This will also allow Volson to stay a bit more rested and not be 100% the full time starter.

Changing out personnel in the way you describe is a huge tip to the defense as to what is about to happen.  I think that is a bad idea.  OL need to be proficient in both aspect of blocking, if Volson is still developing as a pass protector, then he needs to work harder to bring that facet of his game up to par.  The best way for that to happen is continuity with the players on each side of him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:25 PM)SladeX Wrote: No, not at all. His reaction when the pick was announced was nonplussed to say the least. I thought it was puzzling at the time, given he’s from the area.

nonplussed?  or maybe shocked and surprised he got to come home.  

https://www.bengals.com/video/jackson-carman-the-draft-call-cincinnati-bengals

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I see a kid so happy in that video he is about it tears. Of course he wants to play here, went to the SB his rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 12:17 AM)GodFather Wrote: It was what was available in the second round and how the Bengals chose to trade down and then end up with Carman as a result. It was a frustrating move for Bengal fans after watching the OL that season.

It also didn't help when Carman showed up overweight and out of shape to training camp...

I don't understand why fans hate on the player because they don't like the draft decision the team made. 

And I understand why fans were critical when he showed up out of shape, but clearly a lot of people were already down on Jackson just because they wanted someone else in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 08:35 AM)pally Wrote: nonplussed?  or maybe shocked and surprised he got to come home.  

No way you can call that nonplussed.

People just see what they want to see.
Reply/Quote
I got bashed and accused of lying by a coupe of posters when I shared at the time of the draft what a Clemson Hall of Fame guard ( and 9 year NFL guard) thought of Carman- that he was not a second round pick and questioned whether he would make it in the pros.

Regardless Carman is still a kid and I’m pulling for him. Lots of people on this board know way more than me but he was primarily a tackle in college. Maybe he just isn’t an nfl guard but could be a decent nfl tackle?

I hope the kid uses this as a learning experience and becomes better for it.
I think the potential is there.
Reply/Quote
Well then I totally read his reaction wrong on draft day. Thousands of apologies. Hope he turns it around!

Edit: not the first time I've stepped on my d*** in this forum, won't be the last, I'm sure.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 08:35 AM)pally Wrote: nonplussed?  or maybe shocked and surprised he got to come home.  

If someone is going to call that nonplussed, then I wonder what they think of Burrow's reaction. Completely low energy, barely a smile. Of course, we know that this is just how Burrow is, so people will say "yeah, but that is different." He is also a fantastic QB, so people don't even think of this. I'm sure if he sucked, folks would be saying "yep, he just seemed ungrateful from the beginning."
Reply/Quote