Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson's debut
If Volson is the equivalent of Jerry Rice (another small school graduate), I'll be somewhat satisfied.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 03:12 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Just outta the blue this guy is starting.. interesting. Go Voltron..er, Volson!

Damn, that's a great nickname for the line if they ever get good (or any line!). Especially if he goes on to become a key part of it. Love it.

Defender(s) of the universe
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 10:49 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: They do mean something. They aren't a reason to completely dismiss a guy, but most small school players don't land starting spots in the NFL for a reason. They're subpar athletes, lack effective technique, or any other combination of reasons. For every Kenny Anderson, there are numerous Brad Sorensens and B.J. Colemans. 

The same goes with Volson. I am not very optimistic about his chances based on what I have seen so far, but I hope he proves me wrong. 

Some people just don't want to go to big schools. We see Big time big school players wash out every year (looking at you Billy Price and Jackson Carman)
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 11:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Some people just don't want to go to big schools. We see Big time big school players wash out every year (looking at you Billy Price and Jackson Carman)

Players go to big schools if they are able to. The guys who play at smaller schools only do so because they aren't really cut out for the big time schools. Or, nowadays, because they are offered more money at a smaller school. For instance, Volson was a two star recruit and only received offers from Wyoming, NDSU and North Dakota. He simply wasn't good enough to go to a bigger school.

The difference comes in with your second sentence. Of course, big school players bust out every year. However, they translate much better to the NFL than small school players do. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 06:16 PM)jason Wrote: He's not a top draft pick.... Just happened to beat out the guy who was. Now we're counting on a fourth rounder outta a small school at LG.

Doesnt Matter the Round or School just if they can play on game day.      And hes shown better in 1 camp than the 2nd rounder in a 1 year and a camp.

Still think we needed to upgrade our OL Coach though
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 11:30 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Players go to big schools if they are able to. The guys who play at smaller schools only do so because they aren't really cut out for the big time schools. Or, nowadays, because they are offered more money at a smaller school. For instance, Volson was a two star recruit and only received offers from Wyoming, NDSU and North Dakota. He simply wasn't good enough to go to a bigger school.

The difference comes in with your second sentence. Of course, big school players bust out every year. However, they translate much better to the NFL than small school players do. 

That's not always the case.  In fact, I'd say that a fair amount of the small school guys end up there because they didn't meet the height/weight/speed requirements of the bigger programs.  Granted, a lot of them never end up getting big enough, strong enough or fast enough to play in the NFL, but there are several guys that end up in small schools because they didn't meet the recruiting "profile"
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 03:50 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's not always the case.  In fact, I'd say that a fair amount of the small school guys end up there because they didn't meet the height/weight/speed requirements of the bigger programs.  Granted, a lot of them never end up getting big enough, strong enough or fast enough to play in the NFL, but there are several guys that end up in small schools because they didn't meet the recruiting "profile"

Right, they aren't cut out to play for the bigger schools. They aren't the athlete those schools are looking for. That is my exact point. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 03:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Right, they aren't cut out to play for the bigger schools. They aren't the athlete those schools are looking for. That is my exact point. 

some Players go to Lesser Schools where they know they will get to Play as well..  Instead of being on the Bench for 2 or 3 years...
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 03:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Right, they aren't cut out to play for the bigger schools. They aren't the athlete those schools are looking for. That is my exact point. 

That's not the point.  A lot of these guys could play at bigger schools later in their college career.  

Saying a guy isn't cut out for a big program when he is a senior in high school isn't accurate.  Some guys need time to physically mature.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 04:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's not the point.  A lot of these guys could play at bigger schools later in their college career.  

Saying a guy isn't cut out for a big program when he is a senior in high school isn't accurate.  Some guys need time to physically mature.

They aren't good enough athletes to go to the bigger schools. Every college player needs to physically mature, but it is a sliding scale. Can they potentially develop into a good enough athlete to get on at a bigger school? Sure. Are they good enough to play? Probably not, but it depends on the school. Are they going from Colgate to Ball St.? Okay, fine. Sure, Ball St. is an FBS program. They can probably get some playing time there. They're going from Colgate to Georgia? Probably not happening. You'll be on the team, but it is unlikely that they will start. 

Some of them of course are able to, but these are rare scenarios. There is a reason that there aren't many FCS players who make it to the NFL. Even still, there is a reason why there is so few FCS players who are actually good in the NFL. 

They aren't good enough. School size does matter, but it isn't the end all, be all. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 04:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's not the point.  A lot of these guys could play at bigger schools later in their college career.  

We all agree that there are NFL players at FCS schools, but they are pretty rare compared to FBS schools.

So even if an FCS player has NFL skills he is not used to playing against other guys with NFL skills like FBS players are.  Even the good NFL players that come from small schools (like Cappa) usually don't start as rookies.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2022, 03:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Doesnt Matter the Round or School just if they can play on game day.      And hes shown better in 1 camp than the 2nd rounder in a 1 year and a camp.

Still think we needed to upgrade our OL Coach though

Yeah .. well camp is over now, and his days of lining up with and against back ups are over. I'm pulling for the guy, but I think we may be in trouble at that spot. At least he's actually a guard.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 01:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Talk about being thrown into the fire, he is matched up in his first game against Cam Heyward and Larry Ogunjobi. While I don't want to jinx him, I think he is going to rise to the occasion and hold his line.

I was thinking the same thing.I wish him the best of luck.If he doesn’t miss any assignments I think he’ll be OK.I noticed in the last preseason game he played in,he looked confused,and made some mental mistakes at times.But for the most part he done pretty well.He just needs to get the mental part of it down.Like picking up stunt plays.
Reply/Quote
A very unfortunate beginning to his Bengals career. Cameron Heyward is a tall task for a small school rookie, but he was utterly dominated. I counted two sacks and five pressures stemming from Volson’s assignment, though this was in the heat of the game and likely inaccurate.

Regardless, rough first game.

EDIT - Cameron, not Casey.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A very unfortunate beginning to his Bengals career. Casey Heyward is a tall task for a small school rookie, but he was utterly dominated. I counted two sacks and five pressures stemming from Volson’s assignment, though this was in the heat of the game and likely inaccurate.

Only watched the 4th and OT, as I was at a function for the rest of the game and Volson looked absolutely horrific the whole time.

Carman went up against Heyward and Tuitt (who is just as good if not better than Larry) last year and didn't look nearly as bad.

But no one will admit it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A very unfortunate beginning to his Bengals career. Casey Heyward is a tall task for a small school rookie, but he was utterly dominated. I counted two sacks and five pressures stemming from Volson’s assignment, though this was in the heat of the game and likely inaccurate.

Plus he's a good CB 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 01:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Talk about being thrown into the fire, he is matched up in his first game against Cam Heyward and Larry Ogunjobi. While I don't want to jinx him, I think he is going to rise to the occasion and hold his line.

Oh, he rose to the occasion and was pushed into the backfield all day.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Plus he's a good CB 

Shit, I knew the name sounded wrong when I typed it out.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Only watched the 4th and OT, as I was at a function for the rest of the game and Volson looked absolutely horrific the whole time.

Carman went up against Heyward and Tuitt (who is just as good if not better than Larry) last year and didn't look nearly as bad.

But no one will admit it.

He was actually worse in the 1st half.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Shit, I knew the name sounded wrong when I typed it out.

I only know this because I absolutely loved Casey coming out of college

As to Volston's debut:

[Image: DumpsterFire2.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote