Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze to Sit Out Preseason
http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Marvin-Lewis-to-sit-Vontaze-Burfict-in-Bengals-preseason-46439187

Marvin says he will take no injury chances with Burfict and sit him for preseason games.
Reply/Quote
Gutsy move.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Makes sense. Vontaze has proven to be able to come in after missing multiple games (IE: last season) and not miss a beat, he simply does not need the reps. At the same time this gives more snaps to Dawson, vigil, etc. smart move in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 06:35 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Makes sense. Vontaze has proven to be able to come in after missing multiple games (IE: last season) and not miss a beat, he simply does not need the reps. At the same time this gives more snaps to Dawson, vigil, etc. smart move in my opinion.

I gotta agree. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Don't push the knee if you don't have to.

He even mentioned that he held him out of practices at OTAs and will do the same in training camp
Reply/Quote
He is also probably limiting the amount of times Vontaze could be suspended for the season for an unnecessary roughness hit. Sounds crazy, but the NFL is on a witch hunt.

Of course, it is ok to rape women and pay them off though.
Reply/Quote
Not worried. As long as he can get into action, and come on strong the second half of the season, all will be just fine.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Smart move I'd say.
Reply/Quote
My man vinny. Rey!!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 07:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He is also probably limiting the amount of times Vontaze could be suspended for the season for an unnecessary roughness hit.  Sounds crazy, but the NFL is on a witch hunt.

Lol true. I could see him getting a penalty in the preseason and Godell kicking it up to a 6 game suspension.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 07:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He is also probably limiting the amount of times Vontaze could be suspended for the season for an unnecessary roughness hit.  Sounds crazy, but the NFL is on a witch hunt.

Yea it's unorthodox but it does make sense here.  For all we know he could get another concussion too, might as well be on a play that counts.  I'm not concerned about him being up to speed, if anything one of the young dudes may be missing out on getting used to playing with him.  Not even sure that matters though since he makes the fewest mistakes of the group so even that's not a big issue.   
Reply/Quote
Not sure I 100% love this in light of the fact that he'll have 3 games of rest/healing up at the beginning of the season anyways. That said, getting a good look at our other LBs is pretty important and it isn't like VB hasn't earned the right to be treated like a precious commodity.

Reply/Quote
Bold strategy, Cotton! Let's see if it pays of for them.
Reply/Quote
[Image: Thats-A-Bold-Strategy-Meme.gif]

Reply/Quote
I like it. I think a lot of vets prob are at the point that reps arent necessary. It'd be nice to have a few snaps under the belt but he proved last year he could come in and not miss a beat. This gives the younger guys a chance to get game action.
Reply/Quote
Vontaze is going to be vontaze either way. I agree with not playing him in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
He may be rusty a few games which could result in a season ending injury

But let's hope young guys (ie Dawson) steps up and prove themselves by then.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 10:15 PM)BoomerFan Wrote:  it isn't like VB hasn't earned the right to be treated like a precious commodity.

Yes he has.

Even athletes who return successfully after microfracture surgery generally do not have long careers.  We need to do everything possible to limit the wear and tear on Burfict's knee.  He is a game changer on our defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 08:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes he has.

Even athletes who return successfully after microfracture surgery generally do not have long careers.  We need to do everything possible to limit the wear and tear on Burfict's knee.  He is a game changer on our defense.

That's what he said.....
Reply/Quote
As others have noted, it's not like missing reps seems to effect him.  I also agree that the repaired knee needs as much rest as possible.  I think this is a pretty smart move by Marvin.  When he comes back, he'll be chomping at the bit just like he was when he returned last season.  Good call....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote