Poll: Who was a better Bengal?
Jessie Bates
Reggie Nelson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vs Series: Jessie Bates vs Reggie Nelson
2 great safeties from recent times. Both loved by the fans. One had more team success, but Joe Burrow helped that quite a bit.

Who you got?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Reggie Nelson for me. It's not really a debate, personally
Reply/Quote
Reggie - and it's not even close. Bates may have the better "grade" but Nelson was a legit playmaker when he was here - something Bates was missing.
Reply/Quote
Nelson and it's not even close. He could ballhawk with the best of them and also absolutely lay down massive bone crushing hits with ease. He could rush the passer a bit and could make a tackle for loss behind the line of scrimmage before dropping back to being a ballhawk. He cleanly hit people so hard that refs flagged them because they just LOOKED that violent.

Can only imagine what his career would have been like if he didn't get his first 3 seasons wasted in Jacksonville where they had 3 different DCs and even tried to move him to Cornerback.

EDIT: Added bonus, he absolutely had Ben's number. In 10 career starts as a Bengal vs the Steelers? 6 INT.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bates. I think he is a better all around player and a leader in the lockeroom. For the record, I wasn't a sign Bates at all costs guy. I just honestly think he's the better player.
Reply/Quote
Not even a question for me; it’s Reggie the Steeler Killer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Bates had more responsibilities and had the better "career year".
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Bates. I think he is a better all around player and a leader in the lockeroom. For the record, I wasn't a sign Bates at all costs guy. I just honestly think he's the better player.

So was Reggie. He was a captain here just like Bates was.

Reply/Quote
Jessie Bates was the better Safety
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Nelson by a mile, but that was two different styles of officiating the game.

Nelson was an old school style, make you pay physically type of 'Center Field' Free Safety, in Bates era times had changed and receivers now became 'defenseless targets' and such. One could argue that the position is tougher today because the emphasis is on athleticism, rather than the old school way of dominant Safeties being able to establish a bit of a fear factor of making receivers pay for the catch.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Probably Bates but this one is too fresh for people to see clearly IMO.
Would have loved to have seen this poll last year before Bates left and see if that would have changed some people’s votes. But I get it - you’re either with us or against us!

Still I think Bates was a little better but this is a good one.
Reply/Quote
It's close, but I'm going with nelson. Nelson's play against the steelers, and I just remember more big plays by nelson. I remember he had a massive clean hit against Dez Bryant that was wrongly penalized. One of my favorite hits from a Bengal.

https://youtu.be/psWMWRg9jgA
Reply/Quote
I'm taking Bates. I'm somewhat concerned that his value to the team is underestimated. His ability to cover ground was possibly the best in the league for the position. He played a big part in this defense being able to hold down leads.

He's a player that doesn't have eye-popping numbers. Even so, he did a lot to keep this defense from getting beaten deep vs some very good quarterbacks.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:35 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: It's close, but I'm going with nelson. Nelson's play against the steelers, and I just remember more big plays by nelson. I remember he had a massive clean hit against Dez Bryant that was wrongly penalized. One of my favorite hits from a Bengal.

https://youtu.be/psWMWRg9jgA

My favorite Reggie Nelson hit was the one against Owen Daniels.

(Domata Peko absolutely steamrolling Troy Polamalu is probably my favorite hit of all time. Lol)

(03-24-2023, 09:39 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm taking Bates.  I'm somewhat concerned that his value to the team is underestimated.  His ability to cover ground was possibly the best in the league for the position.  He played a big part in this defense being able to hold down leads.

He's a player that doesn't have eye-popping numbers.  Even so, he did a lot to keep this defense from getting beaten deep vs some very good quarterbacks.

Should be linked to the right time. He starts on the far hash 27 yard line and intercepts the ball at the 7-8 on the other sideline.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bates is a better all around player but Reggie hit harder and i feel like he was a better interception guy. But there’s a reason Bates just got the contract he got and Reggie was never really in line to be paid like a top safety. Bates is simply amazing at how he covers ground and makes plays.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:27 PM)Housh Wrote: Bates is a better all around player but Reggie hit harder and i feel like he was a better interception guy. But there’s a reason Bates just got the contract he got and Reggie was never really in line to be paid like a top safety. Bates is simply amazing at how he covers ground and makes plays.

he was an old man when he left the bengals. He was never gonna get the big payday

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So was Reggie. He was a captain here just like Bates was.

I get that..... But I had to pick, so I picked Bates.
Reply/Quote
Bates, absolutely no question. One of the smartest players on the defense. Maybe the smartest. Always raised his game down the stretch. Almost always played on his front foot. Teams never "picked on" Jessie Bates. Far from it.

Nelson was an incredible pickup by Marv. One of our best trades ever. He was a bit more versatile than Jessie in that he could play both spots, but Jessie was always more valuable for this defense than Nelson was for his. Jessie's supreme range was in my view one of the key threads holding the backfield together despite our mid-level outside corners. I mean, Apple and a rookie down the stretch? AYFKM?!! I know there are a lot of other players on the D, but 10 wins in a row from the moment Chido went down and just one 300-yd passer along the way (Brady)... man. Speaks for itself.

I loved Nelson and it's a good argument but I'm partial to Bates. I just love how smart he is/was. Even between whistles. Say what you will about faking injuries but that was some ninja sht at a crucial point in the game haha. Chiefs didn't score either. To have that kind of presence of mind was classic Jessie Bates. Always locked in. Two steps ahead of the opponent. Love him to death.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he was an old man when he left the bengals. He was never gonna get the big payday

Meh, he had his best season in a contract year for the Bengals (upon which he left for the Raiders). And he was a FA after 2012 as well (re-signed with us). I think it has more to do with the fact safeties weren't getting big money deals like they are now, than it does his age at the time. 
Reply/Quote
Bates made key plays on the road to the superbowl but I think Reggie Nelson had the best season of the two.
Reply/Quote