Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEAR the F#@king Knee Brace!
(05-17-2022, 06:48 PM)jabor Wrote: That sounds nice, but I specifically remember a few times that defensive players fell on his knee while it was in an awkward position. It seems like such a common sense thing to wear.

"Knee braces are the least important part of preventing knee injuries or healing after an injury."

Knee Bracing: What Works? - Types Of Knee Braces | familydoctor.org

"Dr. David Geier reviewed the evidence on knee braces to prevent injuries during football. One study reported that knee braces did indeed reduce the rate of injuries to the MCL (the ligament on the inside of the knee, the inner-knee counterpart to the ACL). Two studies found no effect of prophylactic bracing on knee injuries. One study reported an increase in knee ligament injuries if braces were worn. And another study reported an increase in foot and ankle injuries if knee braces were worn. So the evidence is definitely not very consistent in regards to the ability of knee braces to prevent injury in football."

Do knee braces prevent knee injuries? - Mueller Sports Medicine (builtinsport.com)

"Likewise, support is limited for use of a brace when returning to sport after ACL reconstruction to prevent re-injury.3 However, wearing a brace to return to play may improve an athlete’s confidence in their knee."

Pros and Cons of Wearing a Brace During Sports - Athletico

"The results of the studies were inconsistent; only 1 study showed that prophylactic knee bracing significantly reduced MCL injuries (P < .05). In contrast, 2 studies found that knee bracing was associated with an increase in knee injuries."

The Effectiveness of Prophylactic Knee Bracing in American Football - PMC (nih.gov)

[color=rgba(51, 58, 86, 0.89)]'In theory, a brace seems like a good idea with a knee injury, since it is designed to provide support and stability. In reality, it is a bad idea. Knee stability is created through muscle, tendon and ligament strength in the upper leg. Take away that strength, and the knee becomes an unstable joint, prone to injury. If worn for an extended period, a knee brace can actually weaken the knee. The knee relies on the stability provided by the brace instead of its natural stabilizers. A weak knee with a strong brace is still a weak knee.[/color]

[color=rgba(51, 58, 86, 0.89)]This is why many athletes repeatedly injure the same knee throughout their careers. They opt to wear a brace instead of properly rehabilitating and strengthening the knee to make it strong and function without a brace.[/color]

[color=rgba(51, 58, 86, 0.89)][color=rgba(51, 58, 86, 0.89)]A knee brace can be helpful for adding stability while the knee is recovering, but it should not be a long-term solution to “treat” or “fix” the injured area. Instead, the knee should be treated with physical therapy and a proper rehabilitation and strength program. The stronger the knee, the more resistant it will be to injury."[/color][/color]

Knowing Whether and When to Use—And Not Use—a Knee or Ankle Brace - stack

"Truthfully, the data on ACL braces shows that they really aren’t necessary and don’t matter much as far as preventing future injury to the knee."

The Efficacy of Prophylactic Bracing in Sports - SSORSSORKC

And it goes on and on.  As already stated, knee braces maybe reduce MCL injuries.  As far as preventing ACL injuries, no.
Reply/Quote
Dude...it's OTAs...relax
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
If knee braces don't matter like some of you say...then why are they a thing and why do players wear them? Obviously they are recommended by the medical staff after/to prevent injuries. They know more than us.

Sorry, but it's kind of hard to believe they don't "help" or "matter".
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 09:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If knee braces don't matter like some of you say...then why are they a thing and why do players wear them? Obviously they are recommended by the medical staff after/to prevent injuries. They know more than us.

Do you have any data to support your belief? If you do, I'd like to read it.

"Ligament braces, of course, are theoretically designed to prevent the abnormal joint motion that often follows an injury. An MCL tear is easier to brace, Chang believes, because it is a more peripheral ligament, and the action of the brace is more congruent with the function of the ligament itself. It’s more difficult to successfully brace internal ligaments such as ACLs.

“The problem in that case is that you have an external device trying to mimic the performance of an internal ligament that is closer to the axis of rotation,” he said."

Bracing vs athletic performance: Why not both? | Lower Extremity Review Magazine (lermagazine.com)
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 09:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If knee braces don't matter like some of you say...then why are they a thing and why do players wear them? Obviously they are recommended by the medical staff after/to prevent injuries. They know more than us.

"Lucky" socks and pre game rituals are also a thing. It is actually very similar, it has no actual impact on the physical outcome but psychologically it makes the players feel better, more confident, which can allow them to function better. 
Reply/Quote

This is completely anecdotal, but when I wore my knee brace, the doctor told me that it would make me feel more confident in my knee as I recovered but that it wouldn't provide any additional support or protection, so I need to be careful and take it easy in my rehab still. I didn't wear it all that long because it gave me blisters while I ran. I took it off and everything was fine. 

I do think they help with MCL's, though. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 06:31 PM)jabor Wrote: FOR THE LOVE OF G-D, force Burrow to wear a knee brace!

I remember numerous times last season when that brace kept his knee from being twisted or bent in completely unnatural directions.

Is he insane?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-practices-without-knee-brace-may-not-wear-one-this-season

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say I suspect a professional athlete like Joe Burrow, surrounded by some of the best doctors and trainers and coaches in the world can come to a decision more succinctly than some couch coach (which all of us are) watching on tv.  
Reply/Quote
For a knee brace to be strong enough to significantly prevent injury it would also significantly limit mobility. So not the type Joe would wear in a game.

And no matter how much you love Joe Burrow never let him make decisions about his own injuries. Athletes like him will do anything to win which includes taking unnecessary risks with their own health.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 10:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: "Lucky" socks and pre game rituals are also a thing. It is actually very similar, it has no actual impact on the physical outcome but psychologically it makes the players feel better, more confident, which can allow them to function better. 

So there is a point in wearing it then. 
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 12:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So there is a point in wearing it then. 

Not the health related one you or OP of this thread is insinuating. If Burrow no longer feels the need for the psychological boost then there would be no reason for him...as there is no health related benefit to doing so.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 10:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: "Lucky" socks and pre game rituals are also a thing. It is actually very similar, it has no actual impact on the physical outcome but psychologically it makes the players feel better, more confident, which can allow them to function better. 

On the other hand I have heard players claim that they can't completely get over the mental part of the recovery while still wearing the brace. As long as they wear the brace they still think of themselves as "injured" and feel tentative about going 100%.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: On the other hand I have heard players claim that they can't completely get over the mental part of the recovery while still wearing the brace. As long as they wear the brace they still think of themselves as "injured" and feel tentative about going 100%.

Right, everyone is different and that is especially true with the mental side of things. I know Tom Brady wore one for a long time because Robert Kraft wanted him to wear it, not because he wanted to or needed to it just made Kraft feel better. It really is a weird phenomenon. 
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 12:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, everyone is different and that is especially true with the mental side of things. I know Tom Brady wore one for a long time because Robert Kraft wanted him to wear it, not because he wanted to or needed to it just made Kraft feel better. It really is a weird phenomenon. 

Even placebos are clinically proven to be effective in a small percentage of patients.

Have You Ever Taken Obecalp? (webmd.com)

So far Burrow's knee brace has proven to have a placebo effect on at least three fans in this thread alone. It's making them feel better even though it isn't clinically proven to prevent injury.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 01:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Even placebos are clinically proven to be effective in a small percentage of patients.

Have You Ever Taken Obecalp? (webmd.com)

So far Burrow's knee brace has proven to have a placebo effect on at least three fans in this thread alone. It's making them feel better even though it isn't clinically proven to prevent injury.

That is actually pretty funny with the fan comment. Like superstitions, if it make someone feel better awesome. I think we are at the point it make Burrow feel like it is inhibiting him so it's probably time to move forward without it.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 06:31 PM)jabor Wrote: FOR THE LOVE OF G-D, force Burrow to wear a knee brace!

I remember numerous times last season when that brace kept his knee from being twisted or bent in completely unnatural directions.

Is he insane?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-practices-without-knee-brace-may-not-wear-one-this-season

He's comfortable without it and most likely more mobile
 Brady took his off too..
Reply/Quote
Like many have posted I think Burrow and his medical team know what's best. From what I understand he has fully recovered from those injuries. My take from those articles is that he is just glad to practice without it as opposed to last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 07:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: No offense but the multiple scientific studies are probably a better source on this than you “remember seeing” things. Some studies have actually suggested the braces could lead to more injuries in certain circumstances.
  • I certainly appreciate your very reasonable viewpoint to look at the studies currently available ThumbsUp, which clearly showed no consensus.  Just an FYI, I had googled and read the summaries of a few studies before I posted and sided with wearing a brace.

(05-17-2022, 07:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’d be surprised if a knee brace helped much against a 300 lb man hitting you at an awkward angle. I wore one when I played football and I remember it making me more confident in my knee but I ended up taking it off. I’ve heard of the studies that AU mentioned but I haven’t look into them in depth.
  • In my mind, the benefit is not protecting the knee from the full weight of a 300 lb guy falling on it; I don't know if that's how most knee injuries occur. I am more interested in reducing stress at the limits of the knee, especially if it's been injured before.
(05-17-2022, 10:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine those medical professionals advising Joe are smarter than us on the matter.
  • As for relying on team Drs... I'm absolutely fine with that. However, don't be that person (NOT "you" specifically) who bitches and questions the medical team's treatment and recovery strategy when an injury occurs/recurs because those damn Drs "obviously" let that player come back too soon Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 06:05 PM)jabor Wrote:
  • As for relying on team Drs... I'm absolutely fine with that. However, don't be that person (NOT "you" specifically) who bitches and questions the medical team's treatment and recovery strategy when an injury occurs/recurs because those damn Drs "obviously" let that player come back too soon Wink

If Joe is relying on Team Doctors for what's best for his knee he's an idiot and I'm sure he is not.

I'm sure he has experts much above the Team Doctor's pay grade advising him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
At the end of the day it is his knee. Unless he has to wear it its up to him. Sounded like he may still go that route for games from the interview
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 06:05 PM)jabor Wrote:
  • I certainly appreciate your very reasonable viewpoint to look at the studies currently available ThumbsUp, which clearly showed no consensus.  Just an FYI, I had googled and read the summaries of a few studies before I posted and sided with wearing a brace.

• In my mind, the benefit is not protecting the knee from the full weight of a 300 lb guy falling on it; I don't know if that's how most knee injuries occur. I am more interested in reducing stress at the limits of the knee, especially if it's been injured before.

Someone who is more knowledgeable about football and someone who is a licensed medical professional, have both refuted your statements with factual studies and deep dives.

Stop it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote