Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEAR the F#@king Knee Brace!
(05-19-2022, 09:30 PM)basballguy Wrote: So many people using thumbs in this thread lol

You can thank me for the southbound one on your post.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 06:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I asked who should he listen to instead of DR ElAttrache for what is BEST for his knee.

You seem to have missed this part of my statement......

Quote:While I am quite sure Burrow is talking to the guy in LA who did his surgery,
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2022, 04:54 PM)jabor Wrote: When was using the word consensus, I meant that there are Drs who would favor wearing a brace and some that wouldn't. Is that not true?

Individual preference and a consensus aren't the same.

Neither of the two studies you cited recommended routine functional bracing.

https://www.aaos.org/globalassets/quality-and-practice-resources/anterior-cruciate-ligament-injuries/anterior-cruciate-ligament-injuries-clinical-practice-guideline-4-24-19.pdf

The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons states "there is no demonstrated efficacy" for routine functional bracing for an isolated ALC reconstruction.

Out of those three articles, not one recommended functional knee bracing based upon the evidence. Majority opinion is a consensus. Demonstrate to me there is a majority opinion which supports the use of functional bracing to prevent re-injury and I'll change my opinion based upon the evidence.

Quote:Just a point of clarification. If you look at my OP, you will see I mentioned protecting the knee from injury... not just the ACL. All conversation seems to be ACL-related.

That's simply not true. From the first page you have been told that maybe they reduce MCL injuries, not ACLs. I also mentioned LCL injuries.

Quote:I never said knee braces prevent injury. Only that we have limited qualitative studies proving or disproving what benefit they may have.

You wrote to force Burrow to wear the F#@king knee brace and not wearing it is insane. Why force him to wear the brace? Why is it insane not to wear the brace?

Quote:And without that information, I'd lean towards wearing one because there seems to be info at least leaning in the direction of protecting against some types of knee injuries.

It's called evidence based medicine. Recommendations are based upon evidence, not a lack of evidence. And again, you're only mentioning the part that supports your conformational bias. There are also studies that don't indicate injury prevention and others that indicate they increase the athlete's risk for other injuries. Some studies show a benefit, some studies show a risk for other injuries, and other studies show no affect which means the benefits aren't demonstrated to be greater than the risks. And if you keep reading about the studies that indicate they might help you'll see that only applies if valgus stress is applied while the knee is completely extended without any flexion and only in certain position groups (linemen, linebackers, and tight ends; not QBs) and the numbers between the braced and unbraced aren't statistically significant.

Quote:I've seen research that says padding may actually be a better option for impact injuries than a brace or wearing nothing. It will be interesting to see if tech ... or new strength/training regimens can come up with alternative ways to protect knees.

Yeah, impact. And the most common type of ACL injury is? Non-contact. Meaning no impact.

So now you're suggesting padding may be superior to bracing for the exact type of injury you're suggesting the brace be worn to protect against. So which is it? Padding?  Bracing? Padding and bracing? Well, there's no consensus so they should probably use both, right?

Quote:Bottom line, if a brace does protect against some injuries (even if not an ACL injury), isn't it worth wearing one? 

"I never said knee braces prevent injury." Yeah, you never said it.  You just implied it.

Burrow injured his MCL twice last season while wearing the brace. Which means the one ligament that the studies show might be protected from injury (but not in statistically significant numbers) from one specific mechanism of injury if positioned at one specific angle in specific position groups that Burrow doesn't play failed to protect his MCL from injury.  Twice.

My mistake.  Wrong knee.
Reply/Quote