Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR Tevin Reese
On our practice squad last year after a ridiculous career as a deep threat at Baylor. He was First-team All-Big 12 as senior and honorable mention as sophomore and junior. Scored 21 of his 24 TDs on plays of 40 yards-or-longer, the most in NCAA history. Average length of his 24 TDs was 50.6 yards, and nine of his TDs were on plays of 60 yards-or-longer. Averaged 22.8 yards per catch his senior year.

He blew up the combine finishing 1st among WRs in broad jump (11'0"), 2nd in vertical (41.0"), 2nd in 3-cone drill (6.63), and just outside the top 10 in forty yard dash (4.46) and short shuttle (4.18).

The only reason he was not higher ranked was his size (5' 10", 165). So I was wondering if he has been bulking up this offseason. Guys like Edelman, Welker, Amendola, and Hawkins have shown that short receivers can be very successful in the NFL, but Reese has to get thicker. As a slot receiver Reese wouldn't have to deal with much press coverage, but he still has to be strong enough to keep from getting jammed out of his routes.

I'd love to see him show up at 180+ lbs. At that weight (if he maintained his speed) I'd say he has as much potential to make the roster as Alford.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 04:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: On our practice squad last year after a ridiculous career as a deep threat at Baylor. He was First-team All-Big 12 as senior and honorable mention as sophomore and junior. Scored 21 of his 24 TDs on plays of 40 yards-or-longer, the most in NCAA history. Average length of his 24 TDs was 50.6 yards, and nine of his TDs were on plays of 60 yards-or-longer. Averaged 22.8 yards per catch his senior year.

He blew up the combine finishing 1st among WRs in broad jump (11'0"), 2nd in vertical (41.0"), 2nd in 3-cone drill (6.63), and just outside the top 10 in forty yard dash (4.46) and short shuttle (4.18).

The only reason he was not higher ranked was his size (5' 10", 165). So I was wondering if he has been bulking up this offseason. Guys like Edelman, Welker, Amendola, and Hawkins have shown that short receivers can be very successful in the NFL, but Reese has to get thicker. As a slot receiver Reese wouldn't have to deal with much press coverage, but he still has to be strong enough to keep from getting jammed out of his routes.

I'd love to see him show up at 180+ lbs. At that weight (if he maintained his speed)  I'd say he has as much potential to make the roster as Alford.
Well, this sounds exactly like the gadget player djs wanted in the James Jones thread. 

I had no idea he was that goddamned incredible in college. Sounds like we could try and make him Tavon Austin? 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see the team happy enough with a guy like Reese or Alford to make the roster.

Green, Jones, Sanu, Moore, Tate, Alford/Reese seems like a good mix of skill sets.
Reply/Quote
I thought he could fill Hawkins role.  Still hoping he can.
Reply/Quote
Interesting idea. My concern would be how much we have to change up around him to make a play successful. If he's going to get overpowered or DB's are going to break up plays because they've got a few inches on him, then we have to try and get him isolated. At that point, to me, it's the question of is he worth it, or is it just as good to get a blocking WR who can help someone in the backfield or a TE get downfield more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can Dalton consistently hit the deep ball tho? Dalton can throw it far, but there is always some give and take when he does... On a guy who only catches the deep ball, I have my concerns. Then again, Sanu to Reese could be a perdy play.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 04:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: On our practice squad last year after a ridiculous career as a deep threat at Baylor. He was First-team All-Big 12 as senior and honorable mention as sophomore and junior. Scored 21 of his 24 TDs on plays of 40 yards-or-longer, the most in NCAA history. Average length of his 24 TDs was 50.6 yards, and nine of his TDs were on plays of 60 yards-or-longer. Averaged 22.8 yards per catch his senior year.

I'd love to see him show up at 180+ lbs. At that weight (if he maintained his speed)  I'd say he has as much potential to make the roster as Alford.

He was one of the first guys I thought about when the Wright news came down. If he can't get onto the roster this year then it's time to move on.
I also thought about Kumerow as a guy to step up. But no fear Greg Little is here!
Reply/Quote

Bengals site looks to have updated weights and Reese is listed at 170. Looking across the league, nearly every WR that has been successful and been around that height have been at least 180 lbs. Tavon Austin is one that stuck out to me as a similar build and still under 180 (176).

It'd be nice for Reese to get to 180+, but I think just getting to 175 would be a feasible goal for now and increase his durability.

With all that said, I'd be fine giving him a shot in preseason games to see how dynamic he is. If he's doing well, give him a roster spot to see what he can do in the regular season. If he gets busted up, promote a bigger WR to take his place. His play making ability is worth the risk IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote