Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR's who ya got ?
Gonna be an interesting battle to say the least. Typically we keep six, correct ?

I'd say these four are locks:

AJ Green, Brandon Lafell, John Ross, and Tyler Boyd. That leaves two spots open plus one or two to the practice squad.

I'd say it mostly between these four:

Cody Core, Alex Erickson, Josh Malone, Jake Kumerow.

Erickson started off pretty slow at returning to begin season but finished very strong ! He finished 2nd in average return yards. Do you really release or PS him ? Is he even PS eligible ? I don't think he had a single reception last season ? Can he contribute at WR ?

Cody Core flashed at the end of last year, and he can stretch the field. Is he PS eligible ?

Josh Malone can also stretch the field and has good strong hands. Can make contested catches but is a little weak in cuts and slants.

Jake Kumerow is a big question mark to me ?

I think the final two is going to be:

Cody Core and Josh Malone. Wilson can be the kick returner because I don't think Erickson can contribute at WR. And just like locking up a roster spot for Peerman I'm basically against tying up a spot for a player who offers little besides that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we keep 7, Core, Malone and Erickson being the last 3.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Gonna be an interesting battle to say the least. Typically we keep six, correct ?

AJ Green, Brandon Lafell, John Ross, and Tyler Boyd. That leaves two spots open plus one or two to the practice squad.

Erickson started off pretty slow at returning to begin season but finished very strong ! He finished 2nd in average return yards. Do you really release or PS him ? Is he even PS eligible ? I don't think he had a single reception last season ? Can he contribute at WR ?

Cody Core flashed at the end of last year, and he can stretch the field. Is he PS eligible ?

Josh Malone can also stretch the field and has good strong hands. Can make contested catches but is a little weak in cuts and slants.

Cody Core and Josh Malone. Wilson can be the kick returner because I don't think Erickson can contribute at WR. And just like locking up a roster spot for Peerman I'm basically against tying up a spot for a player who offers little besides that.

Erickson is pretty much a lock with Wilson on the NFI list and not practicing.  With Iloka out 3-4 weeks and Smith dinged up, they aren't going to go into the Baltimore game with potentially Williams and Wilson as the only healthy S's.  Combine that with the fact that Wilson is extremely raw and has already missed half of TC, and the fact that 7 WR's makes more sense than 11 DB's.

Malone is safe as a 4th round pick, though he probably doesn't dress on gameday.

I think they will try to work Core onto the roster if they reasonably can, though injuries at other positions may make it hard to go short, there.  I could also potentially see a WR getting traded to a needy team on cut day. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Erickson is pretty much a lock with Wilson on the NFI list and not practicing.  With Iloka out 3-4 weeks and Smith dinged up, they aren't going to go into the Baltimore game with potentially Williams and Wilson as the only healthy S's.  Combine that with the fact that Wilson is extremely raw and has already missed half of TC, and the fact that 7 WR's makes more sense than 11 DB's.

Malone is safe as a 4th round pick, though he probably doesn't dress on gameday.

I think they will try to work Core onto the roster if they reasonably can, though injuries at other positions may make it hard to go short, there.  I could also potentially see a WR getting traded to a needy team on cut day. 

Fej, you forgot Fej. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we keep 7, Core, Malone and Erickson being the last 3.

Thats the way I am leaning too. Core did show some flashes last year. Malone was drafted in 4th round, and it's rare for 4th rounders to get cut or go to ps. And Erickson last year as a rookie ended up being one of the best kick returners in the league. And progressed nicely as a punt returner too. I also think if given the chance he could be a serviceable to good possession type of receiver, which fits in nicely for Andy's style. 

The problem with keeping 7 though, another position group will take a hit. At this point if it was up to me and I had to keep 6 wrs, I would keep Erickson, and let Malone & Core battle it out. Or if they both are looking really good in camp and preseason, keep both and cut LaFell. AJ, Ross, Boyd, Core, Malone, Erickson. Nothing against LaFell as it would be a move for the future and long term.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Erickson is pretty much a lock with Wilson on the NFI list and not practicing.  With Iloka out 3-4 weeks and Smith dinged up, they aren't going to go into the Baltimore game with potentially Williams and Wilson as the only healthy S's.  Combine that with the fact that Wilson is extremely raw and has already missed half of TC, and the fact that 7 WR's makes more sense than 11 DB's.

Yea I'm with you. Wilson was the only one I saw potentially unseating Erickson. With Wilson out, I think he goes to PS (or possibly IR if he doesn't recover by start of season).
They won't give up on Malone, can't risk him to PS either.
The only options will be to drop Core or roll with seven WRs unless an injury occurs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we keep 7, Core, Malone and Erickson being the last 3.

I think you're probably right.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I'm with you. Wilson was the only one I saw potentially unseating Erickson. With Wilson out, I think he goes to PS (or possibly IR if he doesn't recover by start of season).
They won't give up on Malone, can't risk him to PS either.
The only options will be to drop Core or roll with seven WRs unless an injury occurs.

I think without Wilson we could keep 7. I also think it'll come down to how many LB's we keep and if we could Lawson as a swing DE. Maybe we can trade Lafell to a team possibly hit with a WR injury, or maybe even to the Jets who lack weapons right now.
Reply/Quote

Seven is a distinct possibility I'd say. 

(08-03-2017, 12:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Thats the way I am leaning too. Core did show some flashes last year. Malone was drafted in 4th round, and it's rare for 4th rounders to get cut or go to ps. And Erickson last year as a rookie ended up being one of the best kick returners in the league. And progressed nicely as a punt returner too. I also think if given the chance he could be a serviceable to good possession type of receiver, which fits in nicely for Andy's style. 

The problem with keeping 7 though, another position group will take a hit. At this point if it was up to me and I had to keep 6 wrs, I would keep Erickson, and let Malone & Core battle it out. Or if they both are looking really good in camp and preseason, keep both and cut LaFell. AJ, Ross, Boyd, Core, Malone, Erickson. Nothing against LaFell as it would be a move for the future and long term.

I'm not sure they'd being willing to cut the only other experienced WR in Lafell ? But if it came down to it I'd probablly rather see him go over the youngins.

I like others think we'll end up keeping 7
Reply/Quote
I don't see Core Malone or Erickson making it to the PS. I want them to keep 7 Core Malone and Erickson. How can you get rid of Erickson after he came in second in returns after carrying Tate for 7 years when he was terrible compared to Erickson. Marvin always talks about field position and Erickson can help us in that with his returns. Go light at another position and turn Core and Malone into gunners. I don't think Malone will be active game days until he gets lots of reps in practice and get better.
Reply/Quote
I think Malone and Core are locks.

We have 6 locks. Aj ross boyd lafell core and malone.

Only question is erickson.

I would sacrifice peerman for erickson. Three starting caliber RBs are on the team. Go with 3 RBs and 7 WRs.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think Malone and Core are locks.

I would sacrifice peerman for erickson. Three starting caliber RBs are on the team. Go with 3 RBs and 7 WRs.

I agree. The only real question is do we keep Erickson as #7 in place of an extra player somewhere else. This could simplify quickly with one injury though. Wouldn't be shocked to see a minor injury to Malone turn into us stashing him on IR if everyone else is healthy 
Reply/Quote
Boyd
Core
Erickson
Green
LaFell
Malone
Ross

Kumerow's a goner.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think Malone and Core are locks.

I'll be pretty surprised if Peerman makes the team, course I've said that for 3 years in a row now.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Gonna be an interesting battle to say the least. Typically we keep six, correct ?

I hate to bring it up....but we already have receiver and tight end injuries.....Sad to say we might start season with key receivers on injury list. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing we keep 7 with Kumerow getting the boot.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Guys'll get hurt, guys'll get better. All we can do is hope they're able to keep the ones who'll help the team. Not feeling the Erickson love, and never really have.
Reply/Quote
Josh Malone is a lock as a 4th round pick. I can't recall a single time where we cut and/or tried to get a 4th rounder on the practice squad. Take it to the bank. Erickson will make it too. I'd be stunned if they cut the NFL's leader in kick returns.

I just don't think this competition is as competitive as some think...barring injury or unforeseen circumstances.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think Malone and Core are locks.

Then there's no point in keeping Erickson. Keeping Erickson for kickoff abilities. Not a coincidence that Erickson started doing really well as soon as peerman came back. Peerman is to our special teams what burfict is to our defense.
(08-03-2017, 03:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll be pretty surprised if Peerman makes the team, course I've said that for 3 years in a row now.
He's the only thing that makes our special teams run.
Reply/Quote
I have been a Peerman supporter forever but he is a 30 year old special teamer time for him to go just keep a guy on the practice squad at RB. Erickson has a lot more value at this point and he could turn into a decent WR down the road given the chance. Erickson had to focus on returns last year he can spend more time learning WR this year maybe make more of an impact there. We might go with 2 QB if they are not as high on Driskel after preseason and maybe go with 4 TE or an extra linebacker.
Reply/Quote