Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wade Phillips wants a job
Matt Patricia when he’s fired after the season.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Despite playing an entire extra overtime period the Bengals are in the top half of the league in scoring defense (14th)

I think our defense is bad, but it is not as hopeless as some of you seem to think.

You can’t win in the NFL unless you can stop the run. They know this (hence our focus in FA). The fact that they are no better in that regard is extremely concerning.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
We'll wait for all the good coaches to get taken and pickup the bottom of the barrell coaches again. We need to snag Phillips now.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:17 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I think we can turn this season around in 2 simple moves:
1) Hire Wade Phillips, as a consultant or DC or assistant HC it doesn't matter

2) Zac gives up playcalling duties

Zac I think has an ego issue so if he brings in Wade its like he is admitting he made a mistake which I think he will fight against doing. It would be good for the team to bring Wade in IMO and I do not see anyway it could really hurt the team to have an experienced Defensive mind on the team.

I do not see Zac giving up the play calling at all I think he brought in an inexperienced OC he was a QB coach as well and not a proven OC just so he could not be forced to give the play calling to the OC if things did not go smoothly.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can’t win in the NFL unless you can stop the run. They know this (hence our focus in FA). The fact that they are no better in that regard is extremely concerning.

It is even more of an issue in our division since every team Pitt Browns and Baltimore all build their team around the run and it has been that way forever.
Reply/Quote
Need to bring in Wade and a new O-line coach and we might be able to salvage this season with Burrow, otherwise...

Nah sir, new HC and new coaches all besides Simmons.

Oh yeah, Zac needs to give up Play Calling, dude sucks.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor had to beg people to come work with him and hire family members. Now he's 2-16-1 and basically a dead man walking. No one is hitching their wagon to this loser, especially someone that doesn't have to like Wade Phillips.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 06:46 PM)cj1895 Wrote: Zac Taylor had to beg people to come work with him and hire family members. Now he's 2-16-1 and basically a dead man walking. No one is hitching their wagon to this loser, especially someone that doesn't have to like Wade Phillips.

He wants a job, Wade can get a HC job here, like right now with the way Zac has coached.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 06:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He wants a job, Wade can get a HC job here, like right now with the way Zac has coached.

In that case sign me up. Although he's had much more success as a coordinator. We could hire the homeless guy that Jimmy Haslam gets draft picks from and he would be an improvement
Reply/Quote
Wade still looking for a job and Pratt is a fan:

https://sports.yahoo.com/wade-phillips-still-makes-perfect-141838273.html
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I know a lot of up and coming names wouldn’t want to take a job here with Taylor on the hot seat, but Phillips would probably be fine with taking what could be only one year.

It’s very surprising to me Zac would have so much faith in Lou with his job on the line.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 09:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I know a lot of up and coming names wouldn’t want to take a job here with Taylor on the hot seat, but Phillips would probably be fine with taking what could be only one year.

It’s very surprising to me Zac would have so much faith in Lou with his job on the line.

I think that I may see the error in your thinking process.  It seems as if you believe that Zac's job is on the line;  That would appear to be the rational way of thinking, if this were a typical, well managed organization.  However, this is the Bengals, and they likely reassured Zac that his job is safe and that he only needed to try something different with a few position coaches.  The Brown/Blackburn family likely love Zac, and find him to be a most agreeable guy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that I may see the error in your thinking process.  It seems as if you believe that Zac's job is on the line;  That would appear to be the rational way of thinking, if this were a typical, well managed organization.  However, this is the Bengals, and they likely reassured Zac that his job is safe and that he only needed to try something different with a few position coaches.  The Brown/Blackburn family likely love Zac, and find him to be a most agreeable guy.

I'd say you're spot on with this. Zac's job probably won't be on the line even if he goes 4-12 next season.
Reply/Quote
Would love Wade on this team.

Reply/Quote
Why wouldnt you want to.bring in a guy like Wade Phillips whos resume of success is 200x times that of Lou when.it comes to defense. ?
Oh thats right Zacs fragile ego
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 09:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I know a lot of up and coming names wouldn’t want to take a job here with Taylor on the hot seat, but Phillips would probably be fine with taking what could be only one year.

People keep saying this, but I don't believe it's true regardless of the HC. If an assistant position coach gets a chance to move up to position coach, or a position coach gets the chance to move up to Coordinator, they are going to take it. Even if it means only one year, it's a chance for them they can succeed and excel in that position. If their group looks like it's improved, then regardless of team record that's a resume builder.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep saying this, but I don't believe it's true regardless of the HC. If an assistant position coach gets a chance to move up to position coach, or a position coach gets the chance to move up to Coordinator, they are going to take it. Even if it means only one year, it's a chance for them they can succeed and excel in that position. If their group looks like it's improved, then regardless of team record that's a resume builder.

Taking a job on a terrible team that will likely rank near the bottom in defense is not the best career move.

If you’re a hot enough name you’re going to have options. You don’t need to go to the first bottom feeder that offers you a job. We saw it the first time around with DC. Lou was like the 5th choice.

Reply/Quote
I've been wondering why zac wouldn't reach out to him all year ,when the guy had a good defense in the superbowl. It was the rams crap offense in the superbowl that couldn't get points.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep saying this, but I don't believe it's true regardless of the HC. If an assistant position coach gets a chance to move up to position coach, or a position coach gets the chance to move up to Coordinator, they are going to take it. Even if it means only one year, it's a chance for them they can succeed and excel in that position. If their group looks like it's improved, then regardless of team record that's a resume builder.

I agree the idea that young coaches will pass is lacking much logic . There is always a window  of advancing in coaching that window can close and most coaches look at it as stepping stone, resume builder for the future and many coaches in the league coach on losing teams but find jobs.

Plus they are in win win situation,  they are on a bad team  so team is expected to be bad if their position group improves  it helps them regardless 

. finally for better or worse  the Bengals are one of the organizations that does not fire coaches quickly unlike some of the other bad teams that are still bad after multiple coaching changes through the past decade .
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 10:34 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Why wouldnt you want to.bring in a guy like Wade Phillips whos resume of success is 200x times that of Lou when.it comes to defense. ?
Oh thats right Zacs fragile ego

Or Mike’s wallet. We don’t know the amount or duration of the coach contracts, but we do know they are fully guaranteed. So depending on how much is remaining, Mike may not want to pay out the rest of Anarumo’s contract plus pay someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote