Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wade Phillips wants a job
(01-16-2021, 11:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep saying this, but I don't believe it's true regardless of the HC. If an assistant position coach gets a chance to move up to position coach, or a position coach gets the chance to move up to Coordinator, they are going to take it. Even if it means only one year, it's a chance for them they can succeed and excel in that position. If their group looks like it's improved, then regardless of team record that's a resume builder.

Not always. Not everyone would take a promotion with another company who had a bad reputation, culture, processes, etc. and not sure how stable their job is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 10:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not always. Not everyone would take a promotion with another company who had a bad reputation, culture, processes, etc. and not sure how stable their job is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was a coach I would not take a Coordinator position with another team if I was not going to at least have a chance to succeed.
Imagine getting def coordinator position on a offensive heavy team. Your schemes cannot work as well with journeyman players.
That is the reason I am willing to give Lou another chance. He finished the year with a decimated defensive roster especially that last game.
It would be similar to the strike year in football if you judged the coaches on the scab players that played.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 10:46 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: If I was a coach I would not take a Coordinator position with another team if I was not going to at least have a chance to succeed.
Imagine getting def coordinator position on a offensive heavy team. Your schemes cannot work as well with journeyman players.
That is the reason I am willing to give Lou another chance. He finished the year with a decimated defensive roster especially that last game.
It would be similar to the strike year in football if you judged the coaches on the scab players that played.

Journeymen? Simmer did it with a bunch a guys off the street his first year and was stopping teams. The way he coached reinforced everyone that we found our DC. Can we day the same for Lou? He
Reply/Quote
I'd say any coach confident in his coaching skills would come here for a promotion.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd say any coach confident in his coaching skills would come here for a promotion.

Why did so many turn Taylor down then? And I’m not talking about established coaches like Del Rio. Why didn’t Florida DC Todd Grantham take the job? Other than Aaron Glenn from the Saints (who blocked us) it was mostly guys turning us down. Some of them (like Hafley from OSU) refusing to even interview.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-struggling-to-land-right-defensive-coordinator-0ap3000001018003

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why did so many turn Taylor down then? And I’m not talking about established coaches like Del Rio. Why didn’t Florida DC Todd Grantham take the job? Other than Aaron Glenn from the Saints (who blocked us) it was mostly guys turning us down. Some of them (like Hafley from OSU) refusing to even interview.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-struggling-to-land-right-defensive-coordinator-0ap3000001018003

Maybe they didn't want to live in Cincinnati. Maybe they wanted to go elsewhere. Who knows, lot's of things go into those decisions.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why did so many turn Taylor down then? And I’m not talking about established coaches like Del Rio. Why didn’t Florida DC Todd Grantham take the job? Other than Aaron Glenn from the Saints (who blocked us) it was mostly guys turning us down. Some of them (like Hafley from OSU) refusing to even interview.

Because our defense was devoid of talent. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 02:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe they didn't want to live in Cincinnati. Maybe they wanted to go elsewhere. Who knows, lot's of things go into those decisions.

(01-17-2021, 02:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Because our defense was devoid of talent. 

There’s also a 3rd possibility:

They didn’t want to work for a 35 year old unproven position coach who was clearly in over his head...

Reply/Quote

Comfort. Same reason Saban never went back to the Pros and why Urban has avoided it until now. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Below market salary offers.

You might recall Marvin made a public comment about the front office needing to realize that quality coordinators and other assistants require commensurate salaries.  If I am not mistaken, it was not long after it was determined that Brad Childress would not be joining the staff.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 06:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Comfort. Same reason Saban never went back to the Pros and why Urban has avoided it until now. 

Possibly. I’m just surprised folks are so resistant to the idea that it has a lot to do with Zac Taylor himself. To me that’s the most obvious reason. One or two coaches turn you down...ok, 4-5 something is going on there.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 08:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Below market salary offers.

You might recall Marvin made a public comment about the front office needing to realize that quality coordinators and other assistants require commensurate salaries.  If I am not mistaken, it was not long after it was determined that Brad Childress would not be joining the staff.

That would make more sense if any of these guys took other jobs in the NFL. The only one I know of is Del Rio. But that was definitely not about money. It never even got past a phone call with Taylor.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 08:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would make more sense if any of these guys took other jobs in the NFL. The only one I know of is Del Rio. But that was definitely not about money. It never even got past a phone call with Taylor.

You don't think Jack asked the question "What's it pay?"?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 08:34 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You don't think Jack asked the question "What's it pay?"?

Maybe, but he does have an agent he pays to deal with that stuff.

Reply/Quote

Yeah, that's a real head scratcher. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Phillips may still be looking for work, but it's a moot point, he's not coming here,at least not as defensive coordinator. Anarumo is going to be here.
Reply/Quote
What’s sad is Wade Phillips is absolutely perfect for Cincinnati just like Jack Del Rio was. The Bengals need an experienced defensive coordinator who has proven results, not a new coordinator who was a weak position coach elsewhere.

It’s not too late to hire him, either. Someone in the Front Office needs to find their cojones and make the call.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 05:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s also a 3rd possibility:

They didn’t want to work for a 35 year old unproven position coach who was clearly in  over his head...

It's Zac's fault?

Man, I haven't heard that before...

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 08:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would make more sense if any of these guys took other jobs in the NFL. The only one I know of is Del Rio. But that was definitely not about money. It never even got past a phone call with Taylor.

Everything I read said it was mutual, not that del rio was fulfilling his dreams of coaching one of the leagues worst defenses until taylor stepped in.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 11:01 PM)Benton Wrote: It's Zac's fault?

Man, I haven't heard that before...

Mellow

Nah, you’re right. I’m sure guys are dying to work with him...

Reply/Quote