Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WalterFootball Says Chase Is Impressing!
(06-04-2021, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Disagree.  Chase may have only had one huge year in college, but he was 19 years old when he re-wrote the record books in the SEC.  That hasn't been approached by anyone else at that age.  

Yep. That fact gets conveniently ignored when people are trying to downplay what he did. For comparisons’ sake Devonta Smith was was 22 for more than half of his record breaking season...

I don’t personally like the word “generational” (I think it gets tossed around too casually in all sports these days), but what Chase did as a sophomore was insanely special.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 03:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Burrow is much better than Dalton was, we have other weapons that are much better than what Dalton had, and Burrow is smart enough to know that teams will be focusing on Chase, which will open up things for everyone else.

I don't think you make that judgment yet after each rookie year for Burrow and Dalton that he is much better than Dalton.. if you look at their stats, how they performed their rookie year.. Burrow did not play much better than Dalton..now with that said.. Burrow is expected to be  much better than Dalton so we should see great improvement this year with overall play and wins by Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 08:52 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don't think you make that judgment yet after each rookie year for Burrow and Dalton that he is much better than Dalton.. if you look at their stats, how they performed their rookie year.. Burrow did not play much better than Dalton..now with that said.. Burrow is expected to be  much better than Dalton so we should see great improvement this year with overall play and wins by Burrow. 

Dalton had a much better offensive line and it wasn't even close. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 08:52 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don't think you make that judgment yet after each rookie year for Burrow and Dalton that he is much better than Dalton.. if you look at their stats, how they performed their rookie year.. Burrow did not play much better than Dalton..now with that said.. Burrow is expected to be  much better than Dalton so we should see great improvement this year with overall play and wins by Burrow. 

I'm not looking at production, I'm looking at talent and potential.  Coming out of college and through his first year, Burrow has a stronger arm already and has a better throw than Dalton has ever had, and he's still young, so that will only improve.  

Also, he hasn't been tested yet, but I feel pretty confident in saying that Burrow will perform better in big games and be able to get us a playoff win.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 08:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. That fact gets conveniently ignored when people are trying to downplay what he did. For comparisons’ sake Devonta Smith was was 22 for more than half of his record breaking season...

I don’t personally like the word “generational” (I think it gets tossed around too casually in all sports these days), but what Chase did as a sophomore was insanely special.

Agree

Calling guys "generational talents" before they've ever even taken a snap in the NFL is just absurd ! Elite gets tossed around way to much as well.

Having said that Chase had a hell of a season.
Reply/Quote

No slight to Andy, but he only completed 58% of his passes and had an 80 passer rating as a rookie vs 65% and 89 passer rating for Joe.  Burrow outplayed Andy by a wide margin his first year.
Reply/Quote
LEt's hope it translates to the actual games, not just air routes and padless practice.
Reply/Quote
You should expect a 5th overall pick and 1st WR off the board to impress right away.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Disagree.  Chase may have only had one huge year in college, but he was 19 years old when he re-wrote the record books in the SEC.  That hasn't been approached by anyone else at that age.  

This, plus 20 TD's in 14 games at 19 years old...

Chase could be great just like Julio or the other guys mentioned. He is that special and he got a year off so he is fresh and not 
worn out by any means. Hope with Chase the 1st round rookie injury bug stops, if so great things could be on the way.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 09:38 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Dalton had a much better offensive line and it wasn't even close. 
They performed better rookie year but they were not dominant and Dalton played better than expectation, Burrow has now been given better offense we have to expect better in wins and scoring from the#1 pick in 2nd season 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 12:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They performed better rookie year but they were not dominant and Dalton played better than expectation, Burrow has now been given better offense we have to expect better in wins and scoring from the#1 pick in 2nd season 

Agree with that and Taylor and the OL better help Burrow out much more than what we saw in his 1st...
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 06:23 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't say he was a generational player, although I think he will be.  I just said that he has generational talent, which he does.

He has abilities like those guys had/have, and he also has Burrow, which will only help.

He's also still growing physically (most likely) and his game will only develop and improve.

Let me state this again before I get called negative or combative or anything else.

I think Chase will be a good WR.

However, the generational term is silly at this point and way too early to call him that, or even say he has that type of talent. Look at the careers of Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss and Julio in college. Look at A.J. Green. When that type of talent walks onto a college campus, they go out there and produce year one. All those names above, did exactly that. Chase year one, barely broke 300 yards and he had Burrow at QB.

What changed that took Burrow from a projected 4th round pick to 1st overall, and launched Justin Jefferson from 800 yards to 1500 yards and Chase from 313 yards to 1700 yards, as well as Clyde Edwards-Helaire going off to the 3rd most yards in LSU history as a RB.

The answer - Joe Brady. The only difference on offense from the 2018 to 2019 LSU team was bringing in Joe Brady. 

If Chase hadn't sat out and showed people he could produce without Burrow and without Brady, maybe I'd be more in on the hype. But right now, he has one season worth talking about and it was a season that turned college football upside down masterminded by a guy who spent one season at LSU and got an OC job. 

Now if the Bengals moved on from Taylor and had Brady in the building or had just hired Brady last season before Carolina did, again maybe you'd see the magical type of stuff till the league caught up, but that didn't happen.

Right now based on stats alone, the jump from 300 to over 1000 is more like the career of John Ross than that of Calvin Johnson. I know that will piss people off but until he plays real snaps in the NFL, let's hold off on his HoF bust being made.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Let me state this again before I get called negative or combative or anything else.

However, the generational term is silly at this point and way too early to call him that, or even say he has that type of talent. Look at the careers of Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss and Julio in college. Look at A.J. Green. When that type of talent walks onto a college campus, they go out there and produce year one. All those names above, did exactly that. Chase year one, barely broke 300 yards and he had Burrow at QB.

What changed that took Burrow from a projected 4th round pick to 1st overall, and launched Justin Jefferson from 800 yards to 1500 yards and Chase from 313 yards to 1700 yards, as well as Clyde Edwards-Helaire going off to the 3rd most yards in LSU history as a RB.

The answer - Joe Brady. The only difference on offense from the 2018 to 2019 LSU team was bringing in Joe Brady. 

If Chase hadn't sat out and showed people he could produce without Burrow and without Brady, maybe I'd be more in on the hype. But right now, he has one season worth talking about and it was a season that turned college football upside down masterminded by a guy who spent one season at LSU and got an OC job. 

Now if the Bengals moved on from Taylor and had Brady in the building or had just hired Brady last season before Carolina did, again maybe you'd see the magical type of stuff till the league caught up, but that didn't happen.

Right now based on stats alone, the jump from 300 to over 1000 is more like the career of John Ross than that of Calvin Johnson. I know that will piss people off but until he plays real snaps in the NFL, let's hold off on his HoF bust being made.

He was part of it, the total overhaul of the offense from an archaic running style to an NFL wide open passing offense was the big change.

You can't really look at Jefferson, Chase and Burrow in that previous offense and make any conclusions.

That being said, Chase had one outstanding year in a system loaded with NFL talent.  Is he a great WR prospect?  Yes.  Is he generational?  Not even close.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He was part of it, the total overhaul of the offense from an archaic running style to an NFL wide open passing offense was the big change.

You can't really look at Jefferson, Chase and Burrow in that previous offense and make any conclusions.

That being said, Chase had one outstanding year in a system loaded with NFL talent.  Is he a great WR prospect?  Yes.  Is he generational?  Not even close.

I completely agree with you. He'll be good, he'll have good chemistry with Burrow but the guy that will be generational from this draft went one pick before the Bengals picked.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 12:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They performed better rookie year but they were not dominant and Dalton played better than expectation, Burrow has now been given better offense we have to expect better in wins and scoring from the#1 pick in 2nd season 

What rookies are you talking about performed better?  Dalton's oline wasn't rookies.  I 100% expect Burrow and the offense to take a giant step forward in year 2 and probably every year until Burrow hits his prime. 
Reply/Quote
I'm very excited for Chase but my one fear is, and I hesitate to even say it, injuries. I know defenses don't hit as hard as they used to but his lighter weight in the NFL could mean he is less durable. Maybe.

I hope it is shown to be that my concern was 100% wrong and misguided though.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:49 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm very excited for Chase but my one fear is, and I hesitate to even say it, injuries. I know defenses don't hit as hard as they used to but his lighter weight in the NFL could mean he is less durable. Maybe.

I hope it is shown to be that my concern was 100% wrong and misguided though.

Well you know we're cursed the past half decade plus, but he's 6'1" and 200 lbs before hitting an NFL weight room. What is he? 21 years old? I'd wager he'll pack a few on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with that and Taylor and the OL better help Burrow out much more than what we saw in his 1st...

I agree Taylor has to be do better but Burrow has the weapons to win  some games even with a below average coach.. other  very good to great QBs have done it.. Rodgers, Watson come to mind
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Let me state this again before I get called negative or combative or anything else.

Joe Brady was a hell of a coach at LSU, but the best coaches in the world can draw up some amazing plays that won't work if you don't have guys that can execute the plan.  Chase was the #1 WR in the SEC and was unstoppable.  This was before COVID, and he went against some future first round picks and smoked them.  Then, his testing at the combine was ridiculous.  

Side note:  I think one of the most under appreciated aspects of Chase is his STRENGTH.  The kid benched 225 something like 21 times?  At around 200 lbs, that is absurd.  He knocked out more than some linemen.  Amazing.

Back to topic:  You are absolutely right that we can't say anything about Chase in the NFL as of yet since he hasn't proved it.  We said the same thing about Burrow.  That being said, I think based on what he did in college, and at what age, that is worthy of a title like "generational".  We shall see if he can do it in the NFL, but as of right now, he has broken records at every level he has played.  I can't wait to see him on Sundays.  
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 02:37 PM)jason Wrote: Well you know we're cursed the past half decade plus, but he's 6'1" and 200 lbs before hitting an NFL weight room. What is he? 21 years old? I'd wager he'll pack a few on.

Well dang. I think I was legit confusing his weight with DeVonta Smith's. That's embarrassing. 

Reply/Quote