Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was this a bad year to replace Marv?
(01-08-2019, 03:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marv got paid, had the best job security, and had more autonomy than most coaches. I think some underestimate the value of these things.

And I'm thrilled we didn't get McDaniels (who just announced he's staying in NE).

I think so too and yeah, McDaniels was the one guy i didn't want as an outside hire.

Didn't like what he did to the Colts and he was a bad HC in Denver.

He is purely an OC and most would do well with Brady at QB...
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we all (most?) wanted him gone, but from what I've read (and I kinda felt this way already) this is a pretty weak crop of candidates, with a ton of openings (8). In years past, there's always been 2-3 hot candidates with sparkling resumes, with fewer openings. Guys like Pederson, Nagy, Reich, McVay etc.

Now it seems each of the current candidates has serious questions.

Bieniemy - Pretty green. 1 year as OC and didn't call plays.
Monken - His offense produced a lot of yards, but also a lot of turnovers. Wasn't as impressive in previous years.
Taylor - No coordinator experience
Waldron - See Taylor
McDaniels - failed miserably as a HC already, yet he's very choosy (thankfully)
Joseph - Failed miserably in Denver
Arians - Good coach, but only interested in coaching 1 team

I guess we can hope that the Bengals are waiting on a guy that's still coaching. So who is your favorite candidate that is still coaching? Do you think we're in a tough year to fill the spot?

Hopefully this team hires an enthusiastic coach that inspires the players. I think that Marvin's body language rubbed off on some of the players and it seemed like they were sleepwalking through games. 

That can have a major effect on moral. I remember Andy Dalton's  lame playoff pregame speech against the Chargers and I was thinking "We are losing this game". 

Taylor and Bieniemy seem to have the right amount of attitude so I hope its one of those two.  Marvin was good to the Bengals but its time for great, and its about time that the Bengals make the right choice for once. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marv got paid, had the best job security, and had more autonomy than most coaches. I think some underestimate the value of these things.

Depends on how you look at it.  I can see a potential HC seeing Mike Brown's zeal for adhering to underwhelming coaches as a bit of a negative, too.  Marvin had to walk away after 3 losing seasons in a row and 16 years without a playoff win.

As I pointed out before, we can talk about it like it is a positive and we can admit that it might be but can you imagine our new HC saying "I took the job with the Bengals because it has the best job security."  Eep!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
From reading Twitter it looks like Vance Joseph will be the next head coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:53 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: From reading Twitter it looks like Vance Joseph will be the next head coach.

Ugh, this is what I have said from the beginning but I hope it isnt true. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:53 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: From reading Twitter it looks like Vance Joseph will be the next head coach.

real reporting or stuff simply regurgitating the same half-assed guesses that have been thrown around?   I've seen very little actual reporting on the search.  Lots of speculation

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Long overdue, IMO. The optimum time was probably after the playoff loss to PIT a couple of years ago. The team had more talent to make it more attractive to a new coach.

Then again, taking a team with a winning record is sometimes a hard sell to new coaches as they feel added pressure to do better than the previous coaching staff. A lot easier to say you are doing better than the guy before you if the guy before you had a lousy record, eh.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apologies. I forgot about Taylor's 5 games as an interim.

Marv got paid, had the best job security, and had more autonomy than most coaches. I think some underestimate the value of these things.

And I'm thrilled we didn't get McDaniels (who just announced he's staying in NE).

This is probably the one true selling point. Question is does a young upandcomer value that a lot ? Or does he want to go somewhere he has real help building a team and his brand ?

Seems to me it's probably a better deal for an older, established coach.
Reply/Quote
If i'm being honest the the Bengals represent the culture of Cincinnati very well. People like to get their shit done during the day and then pack it in the evening - not much pizzazz in the night life here. In fact that's when the monsters come out.

Sure we are able to get rowdy for the big games and all but that is hardly a true representation of reality.

We are kinda boring. And that's okay!

Now before all the manufacturing jobs went away back in the 80's/ 90's...things were a bit livelier. Cincinnati sports are a reflection of this and collapsed at the same time.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so too and yeah, McDaniels was the one guy i didn't want as an outside hire.

Didn't like what he did to the Colts and he was a bad HC in Denver.

He is purely an OC and most would do well with Brady at QB...

I'll take the job......oh wait   Shocked
Reply/Quote
To be fair, last year was pretty bad as well.

Frank Reich and Matt Nagy were really the only two coaches with recent success.
Nagy was an OC for the Chiefs after Pederson, only being an OC for two years, and Reich was fired from the Chargers, but then found success as OC with the Eagles. He was an OC for 4 years.

Vrabel was a DC for one year. Jon Gruden hasn't coached in over a decade.

Steve Wilks was fired after one season. Pat Shurmur didn't have a great season in New York.

This year there's Bruce Arians, Mike McCarthy, Eric Bieniemy, Matt LaFleur, Kris Richard, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Eberfluss.

I feel like this year has a ton more potential than last year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: I realistically don't think a really good/hot prospective coach would want to come to Cincy. Mikey has quite the reputation running the organization and a coach would have a choice and would obviously choose complete control which he won't get here.

Very few coaches get complete control anywhere. It is far the exception rather than the norm. I would venture to say Marvin probably had more control and say so than a lot of other coaches in other places. That control likely evolved over time, and he didn't have final say on everything, but I think Marvin's opinion was heard loud and clear on everything involving the organization.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2019/1/8/18174046/nfl-rumors-update-bengals-coaching-search-vance-joseph-hue-jackson-mike-brown?utm_campaign=cincyjungle&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:16 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Very few coaches get complete control anywhere. It is far the exception rather than the norm. I would venture to say Marvin probably had more control and say so than a lot of other coaches in other places. That control likely evolved over time, and he didn't have final say on everything, but I think Marvin's opinion was heard loud and clear on everything involving the organization.

I agree with that, but........

I also think Mike didn't hesitate to do what he wanted, when he wanted, despite what anybody said.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree with that, but........

I also think Mike didn't hesitate to do what he wanted, when he wanted, despite what anybody said.

I do agree Mike did at times. I think drafting John Ross was one of those times. 
Reply/Quote
I personally think the Bengals rank around 6 for current openings, but Michael Lombardi last week did talk about why it could be a great job for someone who wants more of a college coach role.

With each day that goes by though, I worry Lazor is getting the job.
Reply/Quote
Looking like Denver has narrowed their search, as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-john-elway-is-choosing-between-vic-fangio-and-mike-munchak/ar-BBRY0GQ?ocid=spartanntp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Marvin show was stale and should have ended years ago.

I hope the Bengals aren’t as beholden to mediocrity with the next coach. Results or get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The era of long over due coaching candidates finally getting their shot are done. The leash on head coaches is so short now those kind of guys don't get years as coordinators to really develop because we churn through coaches so fast. We are in the age where you will have to take cracks at up and comers and hope for the best. The pool next year won't be any better because there will be 8 more jobs then.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: The era of long over due coaching candidates finally getting their shot are done. The leash on head coaches is so short now those kind of guys don't get years as coordinators to really develop because we churn through coaches so fast. We are in the age where you will have to take cracks at up and comers and hope for the best. The pool next year won't be any better because there will be 8 more jobs then.

If Bill Lazor gets the job this year, I hope that the Bengals job is one of those 8 openings in 2020.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote