Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades!
(05-01-2017, 10:41 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: To be fair about the Colts signing him, there is a big difference in signing a guy to a small contract and giving him a chance to make your team and using the 53rd pick of a draft on him.

Bengals were the ones that signed him to the cheap contract.

Colts agreed to pay him more than we ever did.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals were the ones that signed him to the cheap contract.

Colts agreed to pay him more than we ever did.

The Bengals used a second round pick on him in 2013 to initially obtain him. That is what I was referencing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 03:16 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: The Bengals used a second round pick on him in 2013 to initially obtain him. That is what I was referencing.

And I waspointing out that Hunt did not just sign a one-year league minimum contract as a camp body.  He got a two year deal worth over $4 million.  That is a strong indicator that he was not total garbage.

some bengal players are hated mor by their own fans than they are by the rest of the league.  Remember when the only reason the Bengals would have Peko on the roster is because they were not even trying to win?

Even Justin Smith was called "garbage" by a lot of Bengal fans.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 08:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I waspointing out that Hunt did not just sign a one-year league minimum contract as a camp body.  He got a two year deal worth over $4 million.  That is a strong indicator that he was not total garbage.

some bengal players are hated mor by their own fans than they are by the rest of the league.  Remember when the only reason the Bengals would have Peko on the roster is because they were not even trying to win?

Hunt has 1.5 sacks for his ENTIRE Bengals career. His last being in 2014...where he had a career high 1 sack. He also has 29 career tackles.

Smith has 87 career sacks and 880 combined tackles.

There is no comparison between the two. I do agree though that Smith was falsely criticized here. His numbers were similar here to SF...and in SF he was a DPOY candidate. A lot of it was just more media exposure.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hunt has 1.5 sacks for his ENTIRE Bengals career. His last being in 2014...where he had a career high 1 sack. He also has 29 career tackles.

Smith has 87 career sacks and 880 combined tackles.

There is no comparison between the two. I do agree though that Smith was falsely criticized here. His numbers were similar here to SF...and in SF he was a DPOY candidate. A lot of it was just more media exposure.

Justin Smith was always a favorite of mine....I can't remember the year he left, but I think it was before I became a member here.

....and yeah, Margus Hunt was a HORRIBLE reach.....and not very good.  Maybe the Colts think they can coach him up, the Bengals sure as hell couldn't.  I guess Margus is the new Nate Livings and Anthony Collins for some folks.....they signed a WAY overpaid FA contract, so that must mean they're good. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: Justin Smith was always a favorite of mine....I can't remember the year he left, but I think it was before I became a member here.

....and yeah, Margus Hunt was a HORRIBLE reach.....and not very good.
 Maybe the Colts think they can coach him up, the Bengals sure as hell couldn't.  I guess Margus is the new Nate Livings and Anthony Collins for some folks.....they signed a WAY overpaid FA contract, so that must mean they're good. Mellow

There were multiple draft "experts" that considered Hunt to be a late-1st to early-2nd round prospect. NFL.com draft profile mentioned he could go as high as top half of the 1st if he reached his potential. CBS Sports had him rated as the #34 overall prospect. Walter Football had him as a late 1st to early 2nd as well.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/margus-hunt?id=2539310
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724952/margus-hunt
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013mhunt.php

Yes, Hunt was a project. Yes, he was old. But he had elite athleticism and size, so the thought was that if he could be properly groomed, he would be a monster. He showed signs of being a monster in college, so there was good reason to hope he would pan out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There were multiple draft "experts" that considered Hunt to be a late-1st to early-2nd round prospect. NFL.com draft profile mentioned he could go as high as top half of the 1st if he reached his potential. CBS Sports had him rated as the #34 overall prospect.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/margus-hunt?id=2539310
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724952/margus-hunt

Yes, Hunt was a project. Yes, he was old. But he had elite athleticism and size, so the thought was that if he could be properly groomed, he would be a monster. He showed signs of being a monster in college, so there was good reason to hope he would pan out.

Yep, and there were other "experts" that called him third or later....I guess it just depends on who you read.  I linked up some draft "gurus" that had him pegged as a later round project in this discussion before.  

Clint Boling is another prime example....some sites had him pegged where he was drafted, some said he was as high as a mid 2nd rounder.

Reply/Quote
I would give the Bengals an A-.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and there were other "experts" that called him third or later....I guess it just depends on who you read.  I linked up some draft "gurus" that had him pegged as a later round project in this discussion before.  

Clint Boling is another prime example....some sites had him pegged where he was drafted, some said he was as high as a mid 2nd rounder.

IMO Hunt didn't succeed here because he was miscast as a 4-3 DE and fits better as a 3-4 DE. I guess we'll see if the Colts can get anything out of him, but perhaps that ship has sailed given he turns 30 this Summer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IMO Hunt didn't succeed here because he was miscast as a 4-3 DE and fits better as a 3-4 DE. I guess we'll see if the Colts can get anything out of him, but perhaps that ship has sailed given he turns 30 this Summer.

You could be right....I guess we'll see.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IMO Hunt didn't succeed here because he was miscast as a 4-3 DE and fits better as a 3-4 DE. I guess we'll see if the Colts can get anything out of him, but perhaps that ship has sailed given he turns 30 this Summer.

Honestly, the Colts are probably more interested in his kick blocking ability than they are as a DE.  If we didn't need some young pass rushers so badly, I wouldn't have been opposed to bringing him back strictly for ST's.  I mean, we wouldn't have beaten the Jets without him.
Reply/Quote

Well...he should have been able to work as a 4-3 DE. Now that he's shown he can't pass rush...it's either 3-4 DE or out of the league.

3-4 DE's don't have to get sacks and he's a big guy that's really strong so you'd think he would be good there...but I'm not so sure.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: Justin Smith was always a favorite of mine....I can't remember the year he left, but I think it was before I became a member here.

....and yeah, Margus Hunt was a HORRIBLE reach.....and not very good.  Maybe the Colts think they can coach him up, the Bengals sure as hell couldn't.  I guess Margus is the new Nate Livings and Anthony Collins for some folks.....they signed a WAY overpaid FA contract, so that must mean they're good. Mellow

Fred is always bringing up all these people that hated Justin Smith. I loved the guy and didn't know anyone that acted like he was terrible. Maybe a "mild" disappointment compared to the hype. Maybe there were some long lost posters from the old board that hated him, idk. I'd say they were in the extreme minority though.

I'm not sure why the Colts paid Hunt what they did. Not that 2 million per is a lot. It's actually a very small salary for a DE...but it's more than I would've paid. Maybe they appreciate his kick blocking skills? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fred is always bringing up all these people that hated Justin Smith. I loved the guy and didn't know anyone that acted like he was terrible. Maybe a "mild" disappointment compared to the hype. Maybe there were some long lost posters from the old board that hated him, idk. I'd say they were in the extreme minority though.

I'm not sure why the Colts paid Hunt what they did. Not that 2 million per is a lot. It's actually a very small salary for a DE...but it's more than I would've paid. Maybe they appreciate his kick blocking skills? 

.....about the only thing I can come up with.

Reply/Quote
The Ravens did not take the high ground with Ray Rice. They knew about the tape but did not cut him until it became public and they had no choice. They also have a statue of Ray Lewis, who participated in a murder, outside their stadium. The only difference is the Ravens get more favorable media coverage.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 08:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I waspointing out that Hunt did not just sign a one-year league minimum contract as a camp body.  He got a two year deal worth over $4 million.  That is a strong indicator that he was not total garbage.

Only 500,000 is guaranteed and that seems to be a roster bonus after June 1. He still has to earn a spot to get paid that 2 million +. He has no guaranteed money on the second year. Point is that is still a lot different than drafting him with pick #53 in the draft which is the same point that I made earlier.
Reply/Quote