Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades!
(05-01-2017, 01:47 AM)Benton Wrote: Not bad points. For discussion sake:
1. Our offense had a lot of problems. WR talent was maybe fourth out of four areas (line, predictable playcalling, redzone play, WRs). Our DL on the other hand was pretty much two guys doing the job of four. One of those guys not doing as much (Peko) is gone with a question makr in his place. The other (MJ) has some left in the tank, but he needs to be a part of a bigger rotation.

And honestly, I haven't seen much of a draft strategy the last several years. It was our strong point up until about the AJ/Andy draft. Since then, we gamble and haven't been hitting like we used to.

As far as the assumption on WR over DE to get more of an impact, eh, I'll disagree. There's a chance Ross won't play much this season. In the draft they were talking about him possibly starting PUP. He won't start over LaFell or Green. Boyd is (presumably) healthy, has a good skillset and a year on him. So, best case, he comes in for a few downs when we're up, or he replaces someone injured. He's a pick for down the road, as opposed to guys who could have started rotating in on the DL as soon as possible.

And since when does leading in redzone TDs "debunk" that he's more than a speed guy? Speed doesn't help score in the redzone? I didn't say he was only a deep threat, I said his only tool is his speed. He's not good at selling or adjusting to bad throws, hes a guy that gets to where he needs to be quickly. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not a knock. But smart, experienced NFL corners are going to know where he's going, get there before him and get a hand in his face. 

2. Experienced coming off an injury is different than inexperienced. Experienced players know how to get the job done even if they have lost a step. Not really having any cake, just the difference in relying on a pro with an injury and gambling on a rookie with one.

3. Maybe. It'll be a couple years before we know. I hope you're correct, but I would temper that with the last time they tried that strategy at DE, we got... Margus Hunt.

That's my trepidation. 

I don't mind if we take later round picks to fill spots of need, but you can't take  project, wait four years and take another. 

4. We're banking a lot on "he only fell because of injuries." Sometimes it pans out, and sometimes we get Ogbuehi as a tackle.

5. I'd disagree. I think Green, LaFell, Boyd and Core is a pretty reliable four; beyond that, we had some options. I'm not opposed to this pick, I just don't see him making the team. Most likely practice squad, and most likely gone.

7. I'm ok with the pick. Like I said, he's an area of need. I just wish we'd taken a better one. 

8. Elflein is going to play guard or center in the next few years. Dielmann is going to fill out a roster until his rookie contract expires. Elfein was one of the few safe picks in the draft and fit the Bengals' philosophy of 'just plug him in somewhere.' And, no, I'm not an OSU fan. I'm a Golden Domer. But Elfein was still my favorite OL pick out of this draft as far as ceiling and versatility. 

1.Going with your ranking of offensive issues, Ross helps in all of those areas.  His speed on the outside helps keep S's out of the box and makes people think twice about blitzing, which helps the OL.  Predictable playcalling is often a symptom of a lack of offensive talent.  You're wasting your time running reverses, tunnel screens, and jet sweeps with LaFell and Boyd because they don't have the ability to do much damage.  Ross is a guy that they're going to be drawing plays up for to get the ball in his hands, which makes the offense less predictable.  Again, Ross led the nation in red zone TD's last year with 12, so he will help address the red zone issues.  Of course, he's a WR, so he helps in that area.

Generally, Top 10 picks have been immediate starters under Lewis.  However, you can just as easily make the argument that a DE would be stuck behind MJ, a LB would be stuck behind Minter and Burfict, or a S would ride the pine behind Williams and Iloka.

Ross says he'll be ready by the start of camp.  If there are setbacks, I can see him possible missing some of TC, but the chances of him being PUP'd are remote.  Again, the draft pundits do not get the full medical the teams get.  Besides which, most of the top prospects this year have medical concerns.

2.I love Gio, but he's heading into his 5th year, which is where a lot of backs hit the wall, just had a career low for ypc, and is coming off a major injury.  On top of that, Hill has been consistently dinged up and missing time since his rookie year.  Adding a legitimate Top 10 talent at RB is a no brainer.  Going back to predictable playcalling, you can run any plays that you had in the playbook for Gio, Hill, or Rex with Mixon.  The D can't eliminate possibilities based on the back.

3.Hunt was a massive project player that failed. There's really no similarity to Willis.  Willis is a late 1st talent in a draft class that isn't so loaded at DE.

4.Of 12 picks, 3 have medical flags.  Lawson was healthy and produced at a high level last year.  Og came with a medical red shirt and got moved around.

5.Last year, the Bengals wanted speed at WR, and were unable to get it.  This year, they got guys that have the speed to do what Zampese wants to run.  Hard to bag on the play calling when you don't have the talent to run what the OC wants.

8.I don't see how Elflein was a safe pick.  As soon as he faced pro ready DT's against Michigan and Clemson, he gave up 3 sacks in 2 games.  He's topped out athletically and has a low ceiling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree mostly Benton,

I mean I wanted an offense heavy draft but I didn't see Ross and Mixon coming !

Marvin and Co. are hanging their hats on Ogbuehi and Fisher vastly improving and Smith (a player they didn't want a couple years ago) being able to stay healthy and switch positions. Not to mention Bodine and his questionable play.

I strongly believe this teams success hangs on the O-line and they've basically done nothing to address it since they let Whit and Zeitler walk.

I hope I'm wrong but I see this draft as having a large potential for being a major flop !

I feel we had to go offense early as it wasn't a deep draft at many positions...   OL there wasn't to many spots to get good value on an ol guy for us.

DL is shored up...  WRs like Malone can still contribute on special teams even if not seeing the field much during the season... (and if ross is hurt Malone is also a speedster  consider him a insurance policy for Ross)
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, you're right, I probably would have given Munoz a C, maybe lower, you're going off of hindsight there, where I would be basing my grade on potential risk.  I don't think I dinged the picks too badly.  I gave Ross a C....but that had more to do with an impact pass rusher.  If we go by injury issues only, it would be a B or B+ pick.  Maybe it's the Ogbuehi deal that has me antsy, but I'm just leery of a cat that is a WR in a brute force division that has already had three knee injuries....otherwise, great pick there.

Overall, I think the Bengals had a nice draft....we can come back later and see who panned out, and who didn't.  I'd say my opinion of it is much higher than the OP, but I can understand some of the concerns as well, and agree with some of them.

As for character concerns, I've said all I'm going to say about that.....and probably should have just left that blank....but I wanted to clarify my thoughts on second chances.

Yep, it is always easy to be an expert draft guru 3 years or 30 years later. Heck, if we would have drafted A. Brown (smaller than Ross) in round freaking 5, we would not have needed Ross  Wink I get the Ogbuehi concern, I had it too because I felt we had a shot that year at winning a Super Bowl and basically drafted a red shirt freshman in round 1.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I looked at it differently. We will have injuries and if we want guys who can do what the guy injured can do (maybe not all of it, but at least some of it, we have to make sure they have similar attributes.

Ross = Malone (both are speed guys so if Ross injured, we will still have an option of speed opposite AJ Green

AJG = Core No WR is AJ, but again Core has some of his traits

Boyd = Lafell

I also see Malone over time playing every WR position, so the ability to have guys who can line up in multiple places makes it much harder on the DC to make adjustments

I think we actually looked at it the same. I stated that I thought it was a good depth move, just that I thought OL should have been more priority given a WR was already selected. As you mention, he has speed and good size, so he should be able to play multiple spots.
The issue I see is the Bengals have to decide whether to keep 6 or 7 WRs now, as they won't risk Malone to the PS. Erickson is nothing special at WR but does offer great value as a returner. If someone else can prove to be about as good as Erickson as a returner, I think he can get chopped. Otherwise, the Bengals may have to get creative to keep 7 WRs. Given the trend of lower and lower usage out of Hewitt, perhaps he could get cut if the Bengals feel Erickson is worth keeping for returns.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
For the first time in a long time, I think this team had a blueprint for each player that they drafted - speed. This team has been fairly slow the past few years.

That being said you can make an argument that this draft will upgrade the team as more than any draft since the Dalton/Green draft.

1. John Ross. As soon as I saw Davis go at #5, I looked at my wife and said "the Bengals are taking John Ross." She laughed and said, how do you know that? Well, it's simple. We need a guy that can be a playmaker with and without AJ Green. A lot of people say Core performed pretty good last year, but we could do diddly poo offensively when AJ and Effect were out. Ross will really open up the field for Eifert, Green and Boyd.

2. Joe Mixon. Best running back fit for this team in the draft. Feature back size with scat back quickness and receiving ability. A great pick and an immediate game changer on offense. He very easily could be offensive rookie of the year if everyone stays healthy.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson will help on 3rd downs immediately . They are both very fast and very productive. If you wanted Barnett, take a look at Lawson's tape. He's an outstanding pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: For the first time in a long time, I think this team had a blueprint for each player that they drafted - speed.  This team has been fairly slow the past few years.

That being said you can make an argument that this draft will upgrade the team as more than any draft since the Dalton/Green draft.

1.  John Ross.  As soon as I saw Davis go at #5, I looked at my wife and said "the Bengals are taking John Ross."  She laughed and said, how do you know that?  Well, it's simple.  We need a guy that can be a playmaker with and without AJ Green.  A lot of people say Core performed pretty good last year, but we could do diddly poo offensively when AJ and Effect were out.  Ross will really open up the field for Eifert, Green and Boyd.

2.  Joe Mixon.  Best running back fit for this team in the draft.  Feature back size with scat back quickness and receiving ability.  A great pick and an immediate game changer on offense.  He very easily could be offensive rookie of the year if everyone stays healthy.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson will help on 3rd downs immediately .  They are both very fast and very productive.  If you wanted Barnett, take a look at Lawson's tape.  He's an outstanding pass rusher.

Is that you Jim Mora?  Confused

[video=youtube][/video]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think we actually looked at it the same. I stated that I thought it was a good depth move, just that I thought OL should have been more priority given a WR was already selected. As you mention, he has speed and good size, so he should be able to play multiple spots.
The issue I see is the Bengals have to decide whether to keep 6 or 7 WRs now, as they won't risk Malone to the PS. Erickson is nothing special at WR but does offer great value as a returner. If someone else can prove to be about as good as Erickson as a returner, I think he can get chopped. Otherwise, the Bengals may have to get creative to keep 7 WRs. Given the trend of lower and lower usage out of Hewitt, perhaps he could get cut if the Bengals feel Erickson is worth keeping for returns.

Maybe it is me, but I don't see it as a big issue going from 6 to 7 receivers (1 roster spot) when we carried 3 QB's which we don't normally do in 2016. I also think a guy like Peerman may be in trouble and we only keep 3 RB's due to the potential very good options we have now on special teams. I could see us stashing 2 RB's on our practice squad and only keeping 3 running backs active. Or I could see us placing Gio on IR for first 6 weeks to give him to get closer to 100%.

It is early and injurres God forbid could also alter the roster prior to final cuts

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Is that you Jim Mora?  Confused

[video=youtube][/video]

Rep to you for catching that one.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:18 PM)3wt Wrote:   We significantly strengthened the pass rush potential with Willis and Lawson, and I think Glasgow may be one of the more undervalued picks in the draft.  I looked at film on him.  He's a stud in the run game.  Stud.  Destroyed Elflein.  Rarely if ever goes backwards.  Our D-line coach raved about his technique.  And on film I thought he did a good job of shedding and penetrating.  That's huge from my perspective.  Stuffs the run, collapses the pocket and penetrates.  That's a pretty complete defensive tackle and will help us to compete in the AFC North.

Agreed on Glasgow. I think in a season or two he could really help out. He doesn't stand out a lot in film (to me anyway) but I think that's because he's just the kind of guy that's doing his job. It's not like he's popping out with huge plays here and there, then disappearing.

(05-01-2017, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only picks I thought were head scratchers:
Josh Malone - I would have looked for OL here, but I can understand the pick. It was a selection for the future and really gives the Bengals great WR depth.

JJ Dielman - I wasn't a fan of this selection after seeing what he does and doesn't do well. But we know PA loves his versatile linemen when it comes to depth. Like many college OL nowadays, Dielman needs to really build up his strength before he sees the field.

Mason Schreck - This guy was really off the radar. Just like James Wright a couple years ago, I feel this one came out of left field and people will question it over some more talked-about TEs (Cole Hikutini specifically). I have to wonder if they weren't hoping Bucky Hodges would have fallen to this pick instead given how far he already dropped.

With who we had as WR, backup OL and TE, personally I'd have rather one of those picks go towards another kicker to compete or (with the Malone pick) a lineman on either side to compete. I'll be surprised if more than one makes it on the team. Which isn't a knock — we've got a lot of good players on the bench and we had a lot of picks.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I feel we had to go offense early as it wasn't a deep draft at many positions...   OL there wasn't to many spots to get good value on an ol guy for us.

DL is shored up...  WRs like Malone can still contribute on special teams even if not seeing the field much during the season... (and if ross is hurt Malone is also a speedster  consider him a insurance policy for Ross)

I think that was a big part of my issue with the first two picks. Lots of folks are saying "it was BPA" but it felt like reaches on both. 

I'm really not opposed to Ross or Mixon... I just didn't like where we took either. If we're going to go BPA, lets go BPA.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed on Glasgow. I think in a season or two he could really help out. He doesn't stand out a lot in film (to me anyway) but I think that's because he's just the kind of guy that's doing his job. It's not like he's popping out with huge plays here and there, then disappearing.

With who we had as WR, backup OL and TE, personally I'd have rather one of those picks go towards another kicker to compete or (with the Malone pick) a lineman on either side to compete. I'll be surprised if more than one makes it on the team. Which isn't a knock — we've got a lot of good players on the bench and we had a lot of picks.

I think the following draft picks make the team:
John Ross (occupies open WR spot that Wright had)
Joe Mixon (occupies open RB spot that Burkhead had)
Jordan Willis (occupies open DE spot that Hunt had)
Carl Lawson (I can see him being listed at either DE or take up a LB spot)
Ryan Glasgow (I think he beats out Sims as the backup to Billings)
Josh Malone (I think he either boots off Erickson, Core, or possibly the Bengals go 7 WRs and light somewhere else)
Jake Elliott (I think he beats out Bullock)
JJ Dielman (Takes up the last OL spot, but could see him going to PS)
Jordan Evans (I believe he knocks off Flowers and is used as a coverage LB)
Brandon Wilson (I actually believe he takes Peerman's roster spot since he is a ST ace as both a gunner and returner. Plus he offers more excitement as a RB and can play DB)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:22 AM)Benton Wrote: I think I've beaten Ross' points to death, so no reason to keep going over 1 & 2. I'll disagree to disagree.

3. I'm not mad about anything. I didn't just get dumped for a different prom date. LOL 

That aside, I agree, it wasn't a good draft for OL. My main issue wasn't with the OL. I'm not really sure where I've implied we should have drafted an OLman. I'll go ahead and toss out there, I don't think we should have drafted an OL high. I would've been OK with one or two OL guys in the later second or later (namely Elflein), but I wouldn't really have wanted him early in the second, either.

My main gripe about the line is DL. Has been for about four years. So... yeah...

4. I keep getting told injuries are to be ignored, so Gio should be gtg. And Hill just needs a coach. We've had several in the last few years and it's showing. Fix the coaching. Improved OL would also be a big issue here.

So, I'll say heading in, both our lines werent good. Our OL, as I've saidbefore, will be better next year. Our DL won't. This draft had very little impact on either. 

As far as Pacman and Mixon, I wasn't directly comparing the two as far as offenses go; it was a comment on people complaining about how the team is veiwed as rule breakers and thugs and criminals, but then are cool with Mixon. Burfict with his twisting ankles and other on the field play gets lumped in there, even if he is clean off the field. I seriously am not following where you'd say we haven't had players — from mail order weed to DUIs to underage girls to Pacman being Pacman — that give us a reputation for a team with problem children.

And I'm not rallying against it. Some of our best players aren't nice guys. I don't mind the label as one of the dirtiest teams. But I'm not pretending Mixon is any more of a character guy than Pacman, and I don't get upset when people refer to drafting low character guys as a "typical Bengals move."

1 & 2. That's fine, but just keep in mind that you're disagreeing with the tape and pretty much every scouting report out there. Not sure why you're being so stubborn.

3. Ok, so I guess you're indifferent and that's why you made a multi-paragraph thread on the subject.   Smirk

4. From what I've heard, Gio won't be ready and Ross will be...if that's what you're talking about. Could be a coaching problem/scheme fit with Hill. Who knows? What I do know is that Hill has averaged 3.7 YPC over the last 2 years and that's unacceptable. I've always thought the line was a huge part of it, and I guess to an extent it probably is, but Burkhead looked great behind the same line. That softened my stance on that subject. I was ready for new talent at the position. I guess that's just where we disagree. 

So it looks like you're just mad annoyed that the Bengals didn't take a DE in the first couple rounds. Lawson/Willis didn't do enough for you there? I mean they both were viewed as players that could've went sooner. Both great athletes that produced. I'd say at least one of them has a great chance to crack the rotation and make an impact. Who is in their way? Gilberry? 

Offensively (bigger problem than defense), the line was clearly a need that we should've taken more seriously...but other than line/coaching (neither of which could be fixed in this draft), speed, rushing and overall playmaking were without a doubt weaknesses. I'd say we fixed those issues, on paper. 

Then of course, they hammered away on the d-line after that. I feel they addressed all the issues they could, and did so in the correct order. Just trying to help you feel better, although it seems you're pretty set on your opinion for now. Hopefully these guys prove you wrong.

As for the team reputation as thugs, it's not earned and I'll stand by that. Sure we've had a few incidents outside of Pacman (like the weed thing with Simpson you mention)...but what team hasn't had players get arrested? IMO, the reputation was earned in 2006 and every incident since has been blown up thanks to the reputation. The Bengals have rolled the dice on a few guys, but outside of Pacman, we currently have no guys that have been arrested multiple times as a Bengal, and outside of Tez, we don't have any dirty players. And to be frank, Burfict's reputation far exceeds what he's actually done on the field. The NFL and the Steelers had their little smear campaign in 2015, but outside of a small handful of incidents, how bad has Burfict really been?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:43 PM)Benton Wrote: I think that was a big part of my issue with the first two picks. Lots of folks are saying "it was BPA" but it felt like reaches on both. 

I'm really not opposed to Ross or Mixon... I just didn't like where we took either. If we're going to go BPA, lets go BPA.

I think the Bengals had Ross as their BPA because Lapham seems to always have a pulse on our 1st round pick and he said Ross the day before the draft.

I can see why he was not your first round pick though. As for Mixon with pick 2, he was a top 15 draft pick so ignoring character concerns, thus he was far and away the BPA on the Bengals board as they ignored his past and were obviously comfortable with how he handled himself since the incident in question

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:43 PM)Benton Wrote: I think that was a big part of my issue with the first two picks. Lots of folks are saying "it was BPA" but it felt like reaches on both. 

A poll of 16 NFL scouts had 6 saying that Ross was the top WR among the "big 3" (there was a huge drop off in talent level after that). That was more than both Davis and Williams, who went before Ross. Many mocks had Ross going to the Bengals at 9, and some of the players that many thought were better prospects than Ross fell much further than anyone thought they would.

Derek Barnett went 14th
Malik Hooker went 15th
Jonathan Allen went 17th
OJ Howard went 19th
Taco Charlton went 28th
Reuben Foster went 31st

Were these players really better than Ross...considering what scouts said about him? Or were these players that slipped well past our pick worse than what we thought? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the following draft picks make the team:
John Ross (occupies open WR spot that Wright had)
Joe Mixon (occupies open RB spot that Burkhead had)
Jordan Willis (occupies open DE spot that Hunt had)
Carl Lawson (I can see him being listed at either DE or take up a LB spot)
Ryan Glasgow (I think he beats out Sims as the backup to Billings)
Josh Malone (I think he either boots off Erickson, Core, or possibly the Bengals go 7 WRs and light somewhere else)
Jake Elliott (I think he beats out Bullock)
JJ Dielman (Takes up the last OL spot, but could see him going to PS)
Jordan Evans (I believe he knocks off Flowers and is used as a coverage LB)
Brandon Wilson (I actually believe he takes Peerman's roster spot since he is a ST ace as both a gunner and returner. Plus he offers more excitement as a RB and can play DB)

Agreed on the first six, although I would be disappointed if Core got booted. Seemed to be a good prospect and it would be starting over with another prospect. No idea on the rest.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1 & 2. That's fine, but just keep in mind that you're disagreeing with the tape and pretty much every scouting report out there. Not sure why you're being so stubborn.

LOL

My wife says the same thing.

Quote:3. Ok, so I guess you're indifferent and that's why you made a multi-paragraph thread on the subject.   Smirk

I don't usually get very vocal on the team, outside of 'hey I like that,' 'that could have gone better' etc. I was just really disappointed in this year's draft.

Quote:4. From what I've heard, Gio won't be ready and Ross will be...if that's what you're talking about. Could be a coaching problem/scheme fit with Hill. Who knows? What I do know is that Hill has averaged 3.7 YPC over the last 2 years and that's unacceptable. I've always thought the line was a huge part of it, and I guess to an extent it probably is, but Burkhead looked great behind the same line. That softened my stance on that subject. I was ready for new talent at the position. I guess that's just where we disagree. 

So it looks like you're just mad annoyed that the Bengals didn't take a DE in the first couple rounds. Lawson/Willis didn't do enough for you there? I mean they both were viewed as players that could've went sooner. Both great athletes that produced. I'd say at least one of them has a great chance to crack the rotation and make an impact. Who is in their way? Gilberry? 

Offensively (bigger problem than defense), the line was clearly a need that we should've taken more seriously...but other than line/coaching (neither of which could be fixed in this draft), speed, rushing and overall playmaking were without a doubt weaknesses. I'd say we fixed those issues, on paper. 

Then of course, they hammered away on the d-line after that. I feel they addressed all the issues they could, and did so in the correct order. Just trying to help you feel better, although it seems you're pretty set on your opinion for now. Hopefully these guys prove you wrong.

I appreciate everyone else's posts in the thread on the players. I will say my stance on Mixon has softened some. I still tend to think a lot of it is coaching/line problems... but maybe it's more than Hill doesn't listen to Caskey or work well with the line. Whatever it is, I hope Mixon fixes the issue.
Reply/Quote
Don't agree at all.Think it was a great draft! Apparently others agree with me:

Sports Illustrated-A
SB Nation(Dan Kider)B-
NFL.com(Chad Reuter)A-
USAToday B
Fox Sports(Kurlenbach)B+
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A poll of 16 NFL scouts had 6 saying that Ross was the top WR among the "big 3" (there was a huge drop off in talent level after that). That was more than both Davis and Williams, who went before Ross. Many mocks had Ross going to the Bengals at 9, and some of the players that many thought were better prospects than Ross fell much further than anyone thought they would.

Derek Barnett went 14th
Malik Hooker went 15th
Jonathan Allen went 17th
OJ Howard went 19th
Taco Charlton went 28th
Reuben Foster went 31st

Were these players really better than Ross...considering what scouts said about him? Or were these players that slipped well past our pick worse than what we thought? 

I think the weak crop of OL, QB & WR resulted in an early panic mode for some teams. In a normal year, even with a weaker-than-usual QB group, Trubisky doesn't go 2 and Maholmes 10. I was surprised Davis went 5, I didn't think he was that close to Williams. To me, there weren't a lot of safe offensive picks in the first round and Trubisky, Maholmes and Davis — along with Ross — wouldn't have happened in a normal year. Hooker, Allen and Barnett were pretty all pretty surprising in that they're probably safer picks and went after some offensive gambles.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:50 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: Don't agree at all.Think it was a great draft! Apparently others agree with me:

Sports Illustrated-A
SB Nation(Dan Kider)B-
NFL.com(Chad Reuter)A-
USAToday B
Fox Sports(Kurlenbach)B+

.....and others agreed with OP

Bleacher Report gave it a D
Sporting News gave it a D
and Washington Post gave it a C-

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 05:04 PM)Benton Wrote: I think the weak crop of OL, QB & WR resulted in an early panic mode for some teams. In a normal year, even with a weaker-than-usual QB group, Trubisky doesn't go 2 and Maholmes 10. I was surprised Davis went 5, I didn't think he was that close to Williams. To me, there weren't a lot of safe offensive picks in the first round and Trubisky, Maholmes and Davis — along with Ross — wouldn't have happened in a normal year. Hooker, Allen and Barnett were pretty all pretty surprising in that they're probably safer picks and went after some offensive gambles.

I look at it differently...as far as WRs (QBs always get overdrafted). I think there were some elite talents at the WR position and they were probably more highly rated than some of these guys that slipped down. I don't think WR was a huge need for the Titans or Chargers, but they pounced. It's all about perception though. You don't like the guys we took (particularly Ross) so you're more inclined to believe it was somehow a reach. I liked the pick, so I'm going to think people misjudged the talent of those who slipped much further down. 

Some of those guys that were mocked to us on a regular basis damn near slipped out of the round entirely. Maybe you overrated these prospects and underrated Ross? 3 teams seemed to think the top 3 WRs were among the best prospects in the draft. I find it more likely this is the case rather than 3 teams panicked and reached for WRs. 

Fwiw, many mocks had Ross going to us at 9 or somewhere in the top 15. Not that mocks are always right, because they almost always wind up being way off with certain players. They're best used as a frame of reference taken with a grain of salt. Too many people use them as evidence that certain teams "reached" or got a "steal" though.
Reply/Quote