Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watch this video: police at the house
(11-10-2015, 01:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Have those rights respected BEFORE.

Often whether your rights were violated is for a court to decide.  99% of jackasses like these get arrested think their rights were violated, and they're wrong.

When a cop tells you he's arresting you, that's a lawful order.  You can sue or complain about a false arrest (which is different from having charges filed), but you should primarily be concerned about your right to remain silent.
(11-10-2015, 02:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Accepting something as ok is not synonymous with realizing your best recourse is to comply and fight the good fight later.  An adult realizes when they're in a no win situation and acts accordingly.  A child throws a tantrum.  if your insurer refuses to pay on a claim you believe to be legitimate do you throw a fit or do you ask to speak to a supervisor?  When that supervisor also denies the claim to you throw a tantrum or do you take legal action?  You want LEO's to be perfect and never make a mistake, we get it.  I do consider it an odd stance for you to take considering how often you lambaste the profession but fine.  I also feel compelled to break the news that LEO's are human beings, they will make mistakes.  An adult caught up in one of those mistakes acknowledges the situation and the fact that their best recourse to resolution in their favor is not to throw a tantrum.  If you feel differently that's fine, my four year old nephew didn't understand why I wouldn't let him have candy for dinner this past weekend.  I'm confident he'll get it at a later date.

Who said perfect?  I'd like them to be better, sure.  I've told you,more than once, I do expect officers held to a higher standard than the average Joe on the street.  They are trained and, as has been stated, your best bet is just do what they say and keep your mouth shut when dealing with them. (Not something I disagree with as a practical matter...but do not like as a personal matter.)

(11-10-2015, 02:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Still a misrepresentation of what is being said. No one is saying they are in the least bit accepting of an infringement of rights. The difference of opinion is entirely about what should happen once the infringement of rights occurs.

Yet I understand what you can do after.  Totally get it.  I just seem to not like it more than most.

(11-10-2015, 02:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Being a cop is a tough job.   That being said if you expect respect from them and for them to be calm.   Probably not a good idea to yell at them and have everyone filming them.  

Maybe if these people put down their phones and had a chat at a normal volume this could have been avoided.  Instead everyone wants to record everything and post it on social media.

No, I'd say video recording them is the one of the better things you can do.  Being respectful is always a good idea in almost all situations.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I will say the little cop that came in at the end and told the lady to STFU and then stated he didn't give a shit if she had it recorded could use some additional training. As to the rest I most everybody gets it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-10-2015, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the rest I most everybody gets it.

Errrr.....wat?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(11-10-2015, 02:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yet I understand what you can do after.  Totally get it.  I just seem to not like it more than most.

You're advocating for resistance through peaceful protest after an infringement of rights. I am advocating for compliance and utilizing the legal process after an infringement of rights. That's the only difference here at all.
(11-10-2015, 04:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're advocating for resistance through peaceful protest after an infringement of rights. I am advocating for compliance and utilizing the legal process after an infringement of rights. That's the only difference here at all.

Ah!  I see now. No.  I was calling for peaceful resistance from the initial contact.  If that's what you want to call it.  Know your rights, don't do something just because you are told to if you legally do not have to.  If you choose to and things get "out of hand" then by all means don't raise a fuss until after.

Like I said, respect goes both ways.  
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-10-2015, 03:35 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Errrr.....wat?

*what

Ninja
(11-10-2015, 02:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Being a cop is a tough job.   That being said if you expect respect from them and for them to be calm.   Probably not a good idea to yell at them and have everyone filming them.  

Maybe if these people put down their phones and had a chat at a normal volume this could have been avoided.  Instead everyone wants to record everything and post it on social media.

They could hit the strobe on their Surefires. 
The cameras would never adjust fast enough to record.
Not that I'm advocating for such action. 
Cool
(11-10-2015, 04:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ah!  I see now. No.  I was calling for peaceful resistance from the initial contact.  If that's what you want to call it.  Know your rights, don't do something just because you are told to if you legally do not have to.  If you choose to and things get "out of hand" then by all means don't raise a fuss until after.

Like I said, respect goes both ways.  

To me it seems as if you are thinking of a rights infringement only in the most discrete forms. But a simple stop that has no probable cause can be a violation of rights. The only thing that could have occurred as an infringement may have been what you perceive to be a stop made that had no cause. If that occurs, cooperate, ask why you were stopped (politely), request information, and go on about your day. If you honestly think that you were unjustly stopped due to whatever reason, even as simple as that, then file something with the department. Best case scenario for all involved is you learn something new about your rights. Worst case scenario the officer is reprimanded for his actions and learns better for next time. By resisting, even peacefully, you may escalate the situation and the worst case scenario becomes a lot different, for one or both of you.
People have to comply with orders from police officers. The citizen does not always have the same information that the officer has. You may be arrested based on false information given to the officer, but the officer has no way to know if the information is false. If the police had to ask permission to arrest someone then very few people would be arrested. If you are innocent you need to fight that in court.

BTW being innocent is not a legal defense to "resisting arrest".
(11-10-2015, 12:51 PM)GMDino Wrote:  I'm ASKING if you know your rights why ALLOW them to violated if you can protest in a peaceful manner?

Because it's not up to you to decide that you're rights are being violated, it's up to the courts. Even if you know for a fact that they're being violated, you're resisting arrest. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-10-2015, 12:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: NOTE: I am not suggesting resisting or being violent toward the officers.  I'm ASKING if you know your rights why ALLOW them to violated if you can protest in a peaceful manner?

How do you know if the officer has the authority to enter your home when you don't know what information he is acting on?

An officer may be acting on a mistake or maybe even false information.  But if he has information to believe that someone is in danger then he has the right to enter your home.  And if you resist his orders then you are guilty.