Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watson Joins Browns
(04-02-2022, 09:26 PM)JPPT1974 Wrote: He will be on such a short and tight leash knowing second chances are very rare. If he does that again, heard Browns would cut him on the spot!

Where did you hear that?  I'd like to know your source.  Curious because the Browns are locked into him for a ton of guaranteed money plus all the draft picks they gave up.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 09:26 PM)JPPT1974 Wrote: He will be on such a short and tight leash knowing second chances are very rare. If he does that again, heard Browns would cut him on the spot!

i dont believe that for a second.  The Browns have made the single largest commitment to a single player in the history of the NFL.  Not only will they do everything they can to protect their investment, but they'll probably line up hookers to keep DW satisfied so he doesn't go looking for strange.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 07:24 PM)Stewy Wrote: From what I was reading.

FINES:  Go to an NFL former player wellness charity.  It is a charity agreed upon by the league and the NFLPA

SUSPENSIONS
The Player:  Loses 1/17th salary per game suspended + will likely not qualify for any performance bonus' depending upon the length of the suspensions.
The Team:  Doesn't have the pay the salary, but still counts against the cap, so they can't go out and spend the money on a different player.  So in Deshaun's case they'll save 3.24 mil per game he's suspended in 2023, but they can't spend it on other players.
Also, while the player does not count against the 53 man roster while suspended, the team MUST make room for them the day the suspension ends.

It should be noted, that we haven't spoken of fines Deshaun could receive on top of his suspension, but player fines usually are more jokes in terms of amounts vs. costly.  It's the suspension that could cost the most money depending on when it gets enforced.

Got it, it's essentially cap money vs actual dollars. Thanks for the explanation.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I wouldn't put it past the Browns to guarantee a guy $240 million and then cut him on the spot. But seriously, the guy has a fully guaranteed $240 contract, doesn't he? Wouldn't that put him on the least short leash in the entire NFL?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 02:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wouldn't put it past the Browns to guarantee a guy $240 million and then cut him on the spot.  But seriously, the guy has a fully guaranteed $240 contract, doesn't he?  Wouldn't that put him on the least short leash in the entire NFL?

Thought it was 250 guaranteed but only a million in the first year?
Reply/Quote
Well this idiot went on tv and said he did not have anything to apologize for, so now he's got yet another lawsuit against him. This woman is not seeking a large dollar amount, she wants him to acknowledge his behavior.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 09:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well this idiot went on tv and said he did not have anything to apologize for, so now he's got yet another lawsuit against him. This woman is not seeking a large dollar amount, she wants him to acknowledge his behavior.

23 and #24 showing up now...   NFL Star should be able to afford a steady and professional message   not have to hire random folks off the interwebs  over 66 in 17 months. 

Get the Fork out.   hope the browns(for their sake) protected themselves in that contract 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 09:26 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: 23 and #24 showing up now...   NFL Star should be able to afford a steady and professional message   not have to hire random folks off the interwebs  over 66 in 17 months. 

Get the Fork out.   hope the browns(for their sake) protected themselves in that contract 

Are you kidding?  The Browns broke every rule and shatter the Good Ole Boy code with that contract.  Multiple reports have quietly come out that other owners are peeved because that contract resets the market in a horrible way.  The Browns bent over, waggled their butts and said "Deshaun....you go do what you do and we'll pay you any price in any way you want it."

For everyone:  Let's keep these things in mind:
-  The situation for Deshaun is unprecedented
-  As more information comes out, it is only looking worse not better for Deshaun.
-  This has been a HUGE embarrassment for the NFL, and could jeopardize revenue if not handled properly and strongly.
-  Trevor Bauer - MLB reset the playing field for punishment associated with sexual deviancy (2 years suspension), and the NFL will be under huge pressure to react similarly
-  DW's Contract - was specifically designed to minimize the affects of of 2022 suspension; flipping Goodell's punishment and consequences system is not a bright move.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't take it as a personal insult.
-  DW's Contract - as stated above the owners are peeved about it and a good way to have that contract loose impact on future negotiations is to see that the Browns are punished indirectly for it, by keeping DW off the field.

My prediction has not changed, but I'll re-state it as I believe now, it is much more likely.
- DW to Exempt list for 2022 season - with the new lawsuits, the NFL will have to interview the new Plaintiff's and do their due diligence.  Again with MLB resetting the playing field, the NFL will at least have to be seen as taking things seriously.  This is the perfect opportunity, to extend their investigation and have a solid reason to put him on the exempt list.  While you get paid on the Exempt list, DW only gets paid 1 million dollars this year.  This will effectively nullify the attempt to circumvent financial punishment via suspension in 2022.  
-  DW to be suspended for entirety of 2023 Season (or more) - With the Trevor Bauer Punishment coupled with the unprecedented 24 incidents (EE got 6 games for one incident and JJones was peeved about it, so he'll push for big consequences here and no one loves the Browns FO because of the contract) on top of the owners being peeved at the Browns, expect DW to be suspended for at least the 2023 season and maybe more.

Final Note:  People say that the NFL wants it's talent on the field to draw eyes.  While this is true and DW has exceptional talent, DW is currently an HUGE embarrassment to the NFL.  On top of that no one watches Browns games but Browns fans.  Will DW being on the field, if he hasn't been appropriately and thoroughly punished, bring more viewers?  Aside from the Texans/Browns game this year, I think if DW is on the field in 2022 or 2023 there are going to be protests from women's group CONSTANTLY, and not just at Browns games but across the NFL.  DW on the field is a PR disaster waiting to happen for the NFL and the best thing the NFL can do to mitigate that is to keep DW off the grass.  And keeping DW off the field sends a clear message to the Browns as well from the owners.....don't F*&^ with the system again.
Reply/Quote
Looks like Watson's hole just keeps getting deeper.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/more-disturbing-details-about-deshaun-watson-emerge/ar-AAYbTxj?bk=1&bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=eba8c942255241809d299da80b04c7ed
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to seeing how the creative team at progressive handles the new desean watson commercial set decorations.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 01:07 PM)Stewy Wrote: Dude you are seriously mis-remembering.

Ben Roth.  - One woman accuses him, pays off loads of money, accusations but NO CHARGES BROUGHT, no guilt admitted or proven - 6 game suspension
Ezekiel Elliot - One woman accuses him of assault, NO CHARGES BROUGHT, no guilt admitted or proven - 6 Game Suspension - reduced to 4 on appeal

Deshaun Watson - 22 separate women in several different states over a 3 year period files a class action suit, at least 10 press charges, Depositions of details being leaked, NFL has and continues to have a HUGE black eye, NFL has been conducting it's own inventigation since the get go for over a year now - It doesn't matter how much he proclaims his innocence or doesn't pay them off, he is going to get suspended and suspended for a LONG time.  6 games for one offense for Ben - How many do you think DW is going to get for 22?

Goodell has absolute power to punish and it can be for no more than "Embarrassing the NFL".  He can place players on the exempt list at a whim and for very little reason.  On top of this, The Browns and Watson have tried to get around NFL punishment by reducing his 2022 salary to 1 mil dollars, so he won't lose money from a suspension.  I can guarantee you this pisses Goodell the hell off.  Lastly, the other owners are pissed at Watsons contract and the precedent it sets.  It is the first full guaranteed contract of it's kind and represents TWICE as much guaranteed money than the next largest contract ever given.  It's a baseball contract, and the other NFL owners don't want that.

The hammer is coming and it's coming down hard:  To teach Watson a lesson, to punish him, to punish the Browns and Watson for trying to circumvent punishment and punishment to the Browns for proposing a contract with so much guaranteed money.

To be placed on the exempt list an action requires fitting into just ONE of these categories, not all three.
Note how entirely open ended number 3 is.

My prediction:  
(1) - Close to the start of training camp or the start of the season, Watson will be put on the Exempt List "Until the league finishes it's investigation", their investigation will strangely take the entire 2022 season, thus negating the Brown and Watson tactics of reducing the monetary loss of any suspension.
(2) - Some time after the 2022 season ends, it will announced that the leagues investigation is complete and it's finds disturbing and egregious with Watson being removed from the exempt list and suspended for the entirety of the 2023 season.  This will cost Watson 55 million dollars, that the Browns have to pay that still eats up cap space.

Remember this isn't just about whether anyone believe DW or not.  One has to look at how the league has reacted before, and knowing how the league reacts to being embarrassed (not good) on top of the Browns owner and organization embarrassing the other owners and setting a precedent they do not want with DW's salary.

The hammer is coming, and the punishment will be unprecedented.

(03-31-2022, 07:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: No they won't.  He didn't play by choice.  He refused to step on the field and got paid anyway.  That wasn't punishment.

Wow you people who think there will be no punishment really are clueless to the situation and how the NFL has handled similar issues in the past.  

Mark it down.  The hammer is coming.

Hope you are right Stewy and tend to believe you are. The question is if you are right will Mayfield play for the Browns 
now after the way they treated him? They really screwed the pooch here if you are correct and it will bite them in the ass
big time. Mayfield played damn good against us and shitty against everyone else. I would like him out of the Division for 
this very reason.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope you are right Stewy and tend to believe you are. The question is if you are right will Mayfield play for the Browns 
now after the way they treated him? They really screwed the pooch here if you are correct and it will bite them in the ass
big time. Mayfield played damn good against us and shitty against everyone else. I would like him out of the Division for 
this very reason.

BM and the Browns are done with each other.  They have mutually agreed that it is best he stay away from the facilities
Reply/Quote
I'm with Stewy. I believe Watson and the Browns have really screwed themselves on this one. There's talk Watson may get put on the Commissioner exemption list for this entire season and then be suspended for the the next entire season.

For one to punish the Browns because of their obviously trying to dodge his suspension salary by paying him only 1 million this season. And because they leagues is generally pissed at his totally guaranteed money contract the Browns did.

Add in the fact that it seems Watson is s a creep (putting it lightly) I'd venture to say they're gonna throw the book at Watson and the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 12:58 AM)Stewy Wrote: BM and the Browns are done with each other.  They have mutually agreed that it is best he stay away from the facilities

Bengals should trade for Mayfield to be JoeyB's backup..  Mike Brown would probably enjoy jabbing that sharpened thumb in their eye in Cleveland.. LOL 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
looks like the NFL is pushing for at least 1 year i heard they want to indefinitely suspend him and make him reapply next yet.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/26/in-settlement-talks-with-deshaun-watson-nfl-insisted-on-a-suspension-of-at-least-one-year/
Reply/Quote
They are now saying 2-8 games.

Wthhh

What happened to a full season !!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:56 PM)Whacked Wrote: They are now saying 2-8 games.

Wthhh

Man, if it is only 2 games that would be ridiculous!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2022, 08:56 PM)Whacked Wrote: They are now saying 2-8 games.

Wthhh

They who?  Link?

Nothing on NFL.com or ESPN or SI.com
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 02:30 PM)Stewy Wrote: They who?  Link?

Nothing on NFL.com or ESPN or SI.com

The guys on Sirus XM's NFL radio channel talk about it constantly.  The thought is that Watson's legal team is going to use a clause from the CBA that says something about a player to not be punished more harshly for an offense than an organization accused of the same offense, in their threatened lawsuit on the league.  Since the Texans haven't been even mentioned as far as punishment or violations for their role in the matter, it makes the NFL appear to have a double standard if they punish Watson, but not the Texans.

Apologies for the poor transcription, I was listening on my ride to work early this morning.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 02:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The guys on Sirus XM's NFL radio channel talk about it constantly.  The thought is that Watson's legal team is going to use a clause from the CBA that says something about a player to not be punished more harshly for an offense than an organization accused of the same offense, in their threatened lawsuit on the league.  Since the Texans haven't been even mentioned as far as punishment or violations for their role in the matter, it makes the NFL appear to have a double standard if they punish Watson, but not the Texans.

Apologies for the poor transcription, I was listening on my ride to work early this morning.

In other words, there is no information, just base speculation.

Also, I know it's kinda unbelievable, but Jack Easterby and the Owner are so clueless and useless, that it is highly likely that the team really DIDN'T know what was going on.  Yes Easterby gave DW a blank NDA, but apparently those are intended for use in multiple non-sexual situations.  All indications locally here in Houston from the media is that Houston was caught off guard by this.  Their settlements clearly come with an NDA and a lack of culpability.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but considering what I know if the idiots running the Texans, I really doubt they knowingly supported DW's sex games.  

Maybe that doesn't matter.  *shrugs*
Reply/Quote