Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The OL deserves a high five today
(01-16-2022, 11:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Malik Wright has inside sources with the team, and he has already said they’re making some moves on the OL this offseason. Even after re-signing our own FA’s we’re going to have the money to add a couple decent starters (or even one high end guy).

I'm a lot less down on Hopkins.  It's pretty apparent now that his poor play early was injury-related.  I'd like to see a better center at some point, but after watching this team struggle to find them even when spending a first rounder on one, I'm reluctant to move on from a guy that's getting it done.  

My conclusion is that they should back up a Brink's truck for another tackle.  A really good RT would do a lot for this line, and could likely help cover up and shortcomings that Adeniji or Carman might have while continuing to develop.  

The line is better, but I still have visions of Andrew Luck when I think of Burrow's long-term prospects.  He's pretty reckless when it comes to taking hits and has a real drive to hold onto the ball waiting for plays to develop.  He's going to need better protection if that does not change, or else we're looking at a short career for a what looks like an elite qb.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 10:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Only 2 sacks one on offense not catching an alignment shift and the other was the back (Perine I think) missed his block. Did not let up a lot of pressure. Only reason some stats were low was Zac called a rather conservative game. Burrow had more than enough time when they let him throw.

I see people keep saying only 2 sacks on offense, but he was sacked 51 times in 16 games, if my math is correct it's just a little over 3 sacks per game. So Is it really that good to only give up 2, I guess lol
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 11:30 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: It is strange how much he trips up.  It's like he's always on the verge of breaking a long one and trips.

Mixon deserves to be in the Pro Bowl. But man, Evans! The one time he ran a play from scrimmage, he hit the hole like a bat outta #ell. He seemed to be running almost full speed right away & didn't care what was in front of him. Bengals need to get him the ball in space, too. I was hoping all season that he would get a chance to return kicks. Except for a dropped kickoff, he looked good.
Reply/Quote

Not bad for a guy who is “just ok”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Not bad for a guy who is “just ok”

And he's only going to keep getting better. They say his film work rivals that of QBs. He's a student of the game. Another guy brought in for work ethic as well as talent.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 12:39 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm starting if Mixon is completely healthy. He was wincing a lot early and we have been struggling to run I feel like since Rieff has been out.

Thought it was just me but I've been saying exactly this..
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 10:28 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: They did not play bad. But not good either. We could not get the running game going. Like at all. That was disappointing.

Overall rankings in order, then broken down by pass block and run block (won't be a perfect average because of different number of plays for run or pass):

Adeniji-  70;  57, 72

Hopkins- 67;  84, 68 (a penalty pulled down his overall)

Jonah-  55; 77, 37

Spain-  50; 59,47

Prince-  45; 32, 62

One complaint I always have about PFF is they don't take in to account the quality of the opponent.  Prince did a fantastic job keeping Burrow clean and rarely got beat straight up.  

Overall, the unit did a solid job given the talent on the edges.  I am a little mystifyed as to the run blocking struggles on the left side (that is usually the strength of the running game, but Adeniji deserves huge props and Price held his own against one of the best in the NFL at the RT position.  Overall, that is adequate to give Joe time to do his thing.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 10:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: We should be passing to set up the run, and once we're done take a serious look at Mixon's footwork. Bring in a coach to work with him on it. 

I would rather have Burrow dump it to Mixon in space over running in to a wall.  
Reply/Quote