Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We’ve got 3 WRs that are probably worth 20+ million a year and we are likely losing 2
We talked about this all off-season and i think these first 4 games are making this decision harder. I think going into this year we probably penciled Chase in as a resign and either Boyd OR Tee as resign.

But all 3 have been great so far. Chase has been the weak link but it’s not like he’s been trash. He’s not come down with HARD catches and he has a bad fumble. But even with those plays he’s made great plays when we have needed them. He’s also drawing a safety ALOT which by itself may have a monetary value of at least 20 million. Lol.

Tee imo has already cemented himself as a 20 million dollar WR and honestly it’s gonna be hard not giving him Tyreke Hill money. He’s caught every damn thing thrown his way and he has basically become our whole offense at times.

Boyd’s play is also making it really hard. He’s catching every damn thing too and he’s doing it on sporadic targets and is doing it very professionally. He NEVER complains. He’s drawing a boatload of doubles from the slot at the same time Chase is drawing doubles on the outside which is a huge reason why Tee is going off so far this season.

At this point I’m accepting that we are probably only keeping Chase. If i were the Bengals I’d probably let Bates, and Bell walk to resign Tee. I know Bell is playing well but you’ve gotta let SOMEONE go. And remember Logan is a must sign too.

I think next off-season alot of fans are going to be disappointed no matter what we do
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Any hope of retaining Tee should be waning quickly. He is proving himself to be a genuine top flight receiver. He is 3rd in the league in passer rating when targeted (137.1), 8th in yards per route ran (2.52), and has yet to drop a pass. He is going to be in the $20M-$25M range.
Reply/Quote
Salary cap will keep going up. They will keep Tee and Chase IMO. They wii have to let Boyd go and I’m going to hate to see him go. Absolutely nothing not to like about him. I’ll never forget his TD against the Rats.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If I could keep two it would definitely be Chase and Tee. I could see Burrow potentially taking less money to spread the wealth to players like his receivers and offensive line, but I do not see the wide receivers doing so. I think Chase would love to stay with Burrow, but not at a discount. They are going to want their money. Burrow probably will to, but I can still hope. Tyler Boyd is definitely worth keeping if we lose somebody. He's only just gotten lost between two star young WR's.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Salary cap will keep going up. They will keep Tee and Chase IMO. They wii have to let Boyd go and I’m going to hate to see him go. Absolutely nothing not to like about him. I’ll never forget his TD against the Rats.

If there is ANY way at all to keep all 3 i think we’ll be happy we did it. Even if that means letting Bates, Bell, Apple, Hurst and Flowers go this off-season then letting Chido, Mixon and Jonah walk next year.

We’ll have the tag which allows us to keep a guy even if we are over the cap. I could definitely see us tagging Boyd in 2024, resigning Tee and Wilson and losing one of either Reader or Trey H.

The draft is going to be really really important the next 2 years because after we sign Burrow, and whoever else we’re signing we’ll have basically no flexibility
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Tee is going to be a Marvin Jones 2.0. But he will probably make a better WR1 than Jones did.
Reply/Quote
Tee and Chase will stay for big money.

I hope the Bengals were listening to Whit yesterday when he was talking about his deal and not feeling wanted. He said he would have stayed for the deal even if it was low had he felt wanted.

TB deserves another good deal but we just can’t afford it paying Burrow,Chase and Tee but if we make him feel like he’s important to the team and city and make a fair offer you never know.
Reply/Quote
If there is a position group the Bengals should double down on that is WR with Tee and Chase... The major problem is Tee's agent is going to want that huge "guaranteed" contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:35 PM)Housh Wrote: If there is ANY way at all to keep all 3 i think we’ll be happy we did it. Even if that means letting Bates, Bell, Apple, Hurst and Flowers go this off-season then letting Chido, Mixon and Jonah walk next year.

We’ll have the tag which allows us to keep a guy even if we are over the cap. I could definitely see us tagging Boyd in 2024, resigning Tee and Wilson and losing one of either Reader or Trey H.

The draft is going to be really really important the next 2 years because after we sign Burrow, and whoever else we’re signing we’ll have basically no flexibility

I think you have to try to keep Chido and Bell. You drafted Bates replacement. Mixon definitely goes. Whoever’s fault it is you can get this production from a fan for $50,000. But really Perine and Evans can average three yards a carry.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Can we at least wait and discuss all this at the appropriate time? I don’t need to be depressed.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:35 PM)Housh Wrote: If there is ANY way at all to keep all 3 i think we’ll be happy we did it. Even if that means letting Bates, Bell, Apple, Hurst and Flowers go this off-season then letting Chido, Mixon and Jonah walk next year.

I think Mixon gets cut next offseason. It would save $7.35m in cap space.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Boyd gets tagged in 2024. The 2022 tag number for WRs was $18.4m and then a ton of WRs got paid big. In 2024 that number is going to be enormous. The top 5 WR cap hits in 2023 are $31.2m, $30.75m, $28.3m, $27.8m, and $26.6m. The last offseason for WRs will absolutely kill the affordability of WR tags. Boyd will also be in his age 30 season.

- - - - - - -

Can probably get a 2023 1st rounder and 2024 3nd-4th rounder if you trade Higgins in the offseason.

I know it's not great feeling to trade away talent, but if he's going to leave anyway getting a 1st rounder in 2023 that you can use to draft a new WR sure would make it feel a bit better.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Can we at least wait and discuss all this at the appropriate time? I don’t need to be depressed.

That was my original thought. Why are we talking about this week 4?

We have Tee and Boyd at least 1 more year, and Chase several more. Boyd is also going to be 30 when his deal is up, so I’m not even particularly worried about re-signing him at that point.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think Mixon gets cut next offseason. It would save $7.35m in cap space.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Boyd gets tagged in 2024. The 2022 tag number for WRs was $18.4m and then a ton of WRs got paid big. In 2024 that number is going to be enormous. The top 5 WR cap hits in 2023 are $31.2m, $30.75m, $28.3m, $27.8m, and $26.6m. The last offseason for WRs will absolutely kill the affordability of WR tags. Boyd will also be in his age 30 season.

- - - - - - -

Can probably get a 2023 1st rounder and 2024 3nd-4th rounder if you trade Higgins in the offseason.

I know it's not great feeling to trade away talent, but if he's going to leave anyway getting a 1st rounder in 2023 that you can use to draft a new WR sure would make it feel a bit better.

I’d rather die and/or let Tee walk than trade him. If we trade anyone it needs to be Boyd
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I love Boyd but he will never get $20 million. He is a Jarvis Landry type and he makes no where close to 20 million.

Boud and Higgins are 20+ million guys and I have a hunch we rsigbthem both while lowering a boyd's salary to 6 to z7 million a year from 10+ currently
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I love all 3. I don’t see boyd getting as much and just hope the bengals can keep Chase and Tee long term. And to do so, I assume that Boyd and mixon are on their last bengals contracts and we’ll see bengals go WR and RB early in the next draft
Reply/Quote
The defense carried us to the SB and is carrying us again this year. That shouldn't be the case but it is. A player like Burrow - a projected FIFTY million dollar QB shouldn't need two #'1's and a top flight #2. That is Andy Dalton ball.

A FIFTY million dollar QB should be able to make stars out of just about anyone.

With the right coaching of coarse.

Reply/Quote
Remember back when we were all begging them to spend some $$ for free agents?   Perennial contenders do this stuff seemingly every season and come out on top somehow..The newish ownership doesn't seem to mind spending these days. They do seem a bit trade shy though, but that may change too. Hopefully they learned that lesson about trying to keep everyone way past their prime over perceived loyalty..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was my original thought. Why are we talking about this week 4?

We have Tee and Boyd at least 1 more year, and Chase several more. Boyd is also going to be 30 when his deal is up, so I’m not even particularly worried about re-signing him at that point.

Look who started the thread...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Boyd will get a similar deal to Hunter Renfrow 3 year 15 Million per year deal.

Both Higgins and Chase will get 25 to 30 Million per a year. So they're going to have to trade Tee this upcoming offseason or next.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 12:17 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Look who started the thread...
You know what nvm
-Housh
Reply/Quote