Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
We Almost Hired Eric Bieniemy in 2019!
To Zac's credit, every season his W has gone up. TOO slowly but up. I'm a mortal, I want a Super Bowl before I die. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 12:04 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: To Zac's credit, every season his W has gone up. TOO slowly but up. I'm a mortal, I want a Super Bowl before I die. Thanks.

Hey now, it's important we amend your words:

Quote:I'm a mortal, I want a Super Bowl VICTORY before I die. Thanks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, 5-4.... you got me, wow. If you can't see the difference in this locker room vs. locker rooms of the past, you haven't been paying attention and I'm sorry for you.

None of us have any clue what is going on in the locker roon.

And you can't define "winning" based on the fact that you like Zac better than Marvin. You can only define it by winning, and so far Zac's "culture" is no where close to Marvin's. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 10:23 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Calm down. Bienemy had a better resume than Taylor.
Thats fact. And Im sure Andy Reid gave full support
Behind him becoming a HC. 
Dont like my opinion. Too bad. I.just said what alot
Of people are thinking.
Hiring ZT was the "safe" choice. 
Zac might get this team to the playoffs.
But if its a one and done deal then is he really changing the culture?
Only way to change cultures is to go above and beyond what has been previously set forth.
What has been 

And Todd Monken had a better resume than Bienemy did.  You act like Bienemy had the best resume out of the candidates interviewed, but that is not the case. 

The reality is people wanted Bienemy because he played here, not because he was anywhere near the most qualified guy for the job.  
Reply/Quote
I don't really care about the culture unless it results in playoffs and more specifically playoff wins.
Taylor's done better this year than the past two, but we need to see a continual progression the rest of this season to make me want to keep him.
I get though that Mike Brown probably will keep him anyway since he already has more wins this year than he had either of his first two seasons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 12:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: And Todd Monken had a better resume than Bienemy did.  You act like Bienemy had the best resume out of the candidates interviewed, but that is not the case. 

The reality is people wanted Bienemy because he played here, not because he was anywhere near the most qualified guy for the job.  

I think it was more that people figured Bieniemy would want to come here since he played here whereas others may not have wanted to if they had other choices.

If the Bengals do move on from Taylor, give me Bieniemy, Leftwich, or Daboll. I trust them more than Taylor, at least when it comes to running an offense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor has done a cultural 180 when it comes to beating the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it was more that people figured Bieniemy would want to come here since he played here whereas others may not have wanted to if they had other choices.

If the Bengals do move on from Taylor, give me Bieniemy, Leftwich, or Daboll. I trust them more than Taylor, at least when it comes to running an offense.

I don't want Bienemy.  A HC with an offensive background is going to be expected to call plays, and I would want a guy with play calling experience in that case.  We don't want to waste Burrow's rookie deal while a rookie offensive play caller learns on the job.

Leftwich would be great, as our offensive personnel more closely mirrors TB's than KC's.

Klint Kubiak could be one to keep an eye on.  I can definitely see them taking a look at Luke Fickell, too.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't really care about the culture unless it results in playoffs and more specifically playoff wins.
Taylor's done better this year than the past two, but we need to see a continual progression the rest of this season to make me want to keep him.
I get though that Mike Brown probably will keep him anyway since he already has more wins this year than he had either of his first two seasons.

Hard to say.  Zac is supposedly in the running for the Nebraska job.  If he falls short of the playoffs this year and feels his seat will be warm next year, I could see him bolting for Nebraska.  It would be a lot better from a perception standpoint to rebuild the Bengals to respectability then leave on his own to coach his alma mater than hang around and get fired, then be scrambling for a job.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of us have any clue what is going on in the locker roon.

And you can't define "winning" based on the fact that you like Zac better than Marvin. You can only define it by winning, and so far Zac's "culture" is no where close to Marvin's. 

All you have to do is listen to the players, they talk about the culture he has brought all the time. It's really not that hard. And I liked Marvin, I just think he reached his ceiling with making the playoffs. He did not seem to be able to win when it counted. The playoff game against San Diego, where the entire team crapped the bed was the final straw for me when it came to Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 01:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Zac Taylor has done a cultural 180 when it comes to beating the Browns.

And the Stealers.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 01:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: Hard to say.  Zac is supposedly in the running for the Nebraska job.  If he falls short of the playoffs this year and feels his seat will be warm next year, I could see him bolting for Nebraska.  It would be a lot better from a perception standpoint to rebuild the Bengals to respectability then leave on his own to coach his alma mater than hang around and get fired, then be scrambling for a job.

Honestly, Taylor voluntarily leaving might be the best thing for all parties.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 02:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And the Stealers.... Ninja

Still a losing record against the Steelers in Taylor's tenure (2-3).
The win percentage might be higher than Marvin's, but it's definitely not in the green yet.
Hopefully the next Steelers game changes that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 01:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't want Bienemy.  A HC with an offensive background is going to be expected to call plays, and I would want a guy with play calling experience in that case.  We don't want to waste Burrow's rookie deal while a rookie offensive play caller learns on the job.

Leftwich would be great, as our offensive personnel more closely mirrors TB's than KC's.

Klint Kubiak could be one to keep an eye on.  I can definitely see them taking a look at Luke Fickell, too.

Let me be clear that I would prefer Leftwich or Daboll before Bieniemy because they are more experienced actually calling offensive plays.

I also like Matt Eberflus as a HC candidate, but he's a defensive guy, so they'd have to find an OC.

I want to see more of Klint Kubiak as a playcaller before I'd want him. Just one season as OC anywhere.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 12:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: And Todd Monken had a better resume than Bienemy did.  You act like Bienemy had the best resume out of the candidates interviewed, but that is not the case. 

Showing your age there, Whatever. Lol. There's a whole generation of fans out there who voted in the last elections that weren't even born when Bieniemy was a Bengal. I highly doubt that played into the majority of people who wanted him here.

People wanted Bieniemy because they saw his first season as OC have Patrick Mahomes win MVP while his offense was scoring 35.3 points per game which was nearly a 10 point improvement over their offense the year before (which was the 6th then, so not bad by any means). He was also the RB coach for two big Jamaal Charles seasons, Kareem Hunt's huge rookie year, someone named Spencer Ware nearly putting up 1k rushing yards, someone named Charcandrick West having over 600 yards. He had good RBs look great and he had bad RBs look passable under him.

The other choice was a guy who was an Assistant WR Coach 14-16 months prior to his hiring as Bengals HC/Offensive Playcaller who had never been hired as an OC or DC before in the NFL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 02:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And the Stealers.... Ninja

He's gotta be .500 or better against the Steelers before he turns that corner. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Still a losing record against the Steelers in Taylor's tenure (2-3).
The win percentage might be higher than Marvin's, but it's definitely not in the green yet.
Hopefully the next Steelers game changes that.

I'm also concerned that Burrow now is 0-3 with Mayfield and Browns.. he also needs a win with Browns in Cleveland as does Taylor, if we sweep ravens and Steelers that will be a real testament especially for ZT..
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 02:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Showing your age there, Whatever. Lol. There's a whole generation of fans out there who voted in the last elections that weren't even born when Bieniemy was a Bengal. I highly doubt that played into the majority of people who wanted him here.

People wanted Bieniemy because they saw his first season as OC have Patrick Mahomes win MVP while his offense was scoring 35.3 points per game which was nearly a 10 point improvement over their offense the year before (which was the 6th then, so not bad by any means). He was also the RB coach for two big Jamaal Charles seasons, Kareem Hunt's huge rookie year, someone named Spencer Ware nearly putting up 1k rushing yards, someone named Charcandrick West having over 600 yards. He had good RBs look great and he had bad RBs look passable under him.

The other choice was a guy who was an Assistant WR Coach 14-16 months prior to his hiring as Bengals HC/Offensive Playcaller who had never been hired as an OC or DC before in the NFL.

Bienemy was a Bengal til '98, so the oldest Bengals fans that weren't alive when he was here are like 23 years old. I have never gotten the feeling that this board has a large contingent of 16-25 year olds, but I could be wrong.

KC's offense is about as much Eric Bienemy's as our offense is Brian Callahan's.   He was promoted from within after Nagy left.  Nagy got the OC job over Bienemy when Pederson left.  He's a figurehead OC by attrition
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 06:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bienemy was a Bengal til '98, so the oldest Bengals fans that weren't alive when he was here are like 23 years old. I have never gotten the feeling that this board has a large contingent of 16-25 year olds, but I could be wrong.

KC's offense is about as much Eric Bienemy's as our offense is Brian Callahan's.   He was promoted from within after Nagy left.  Nagy got the OC job over Bienemy when Pederson left.  He's a figurehead OC by attrition

I am 35 and I had no idea he played for the Bengals until I looked it up a few years ago. You gotta remember the 90s was basically the 'lost generation' for Bengals fans. So a lot of Bengals fans in that 20 to 40 year old range don't really have a lot of fond memories of the Bengals pre-Kitna (or Palmer for a lot of people). I think people my age primarily liked Bienemy because of the association with Mahomes and the Chiefs. Being associated with a successful head coach and team can do a lot for one's marketability. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 03:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He's gotta be .500 or better against the Steelers before he turns that corner. 

And he will be by the end of this season.
Reply/Quote