Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
We Need a Better Record Against the AFC North
(02-02-2024, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was mostly due to volume though, no? He had literally no competition for carries while Chase Brown was out. And even when Brown played he barely got the ball.

Mixon was 5th in carries, but in most cases, guys with the most touches end up with the most yards.
Are you saying you want more of a RBBC?
That'd have to be a change to how Taylor runs the offense, which I don't think happens.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Mixon was 5th in carries, but in most cases, guys with the most touches end up with the most yards.
Are you saying you want more of a RBBC?
That'd have to be a change to how Taylor runs the offense, which I don't think happens.

I’d actually like to move on from Mixon all together, but I know that’s not happening.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 07:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Let's also not jump to conclusions because there was just 1 season with all teams having 9+ wins.
That's extremely, extremely rare.

More than likely, two of the teams in the division will come back down to Earth and have a losing record again.

Odds are Mike Tomlin's Steelers will be 9-8.

So who are the two teams to have a losing record?? Mellow
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:43 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Odds are Mike Tomlin's Steelers will be 9-8.

So who are the two teams to have a losing record?? Mellow

With Bill Callahan gone from CLE, I'm thinking Browns will be one. CLE is also $20 mill over the cap currently.
Ravens have a shot too if Jackson gets hurt again. He did miss the last stretch of games in 2021 and 2022. They also have some key guys about to hit FA and only have $5 mill in cap space before cutting and restructuring. They might not be as good as they were this past year.
I'd like to think one of these times the Steelers will not weasel their way to a winning season, but they always seem to. Eventually it has to catch up with them. Arthur Smith is able to run a good run offense with TEs in the passing game, but TEN got beat by our Bengals in Nashville in the playoffs while he was OC, so I'm not overly worried about him.
Steelers are also $15 mill over the cap currently, so they could end up cutting or having to restructure too. They have traditionally been very good at manipulating the cap though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d actually like to move on from Mixon all together, but I know that’s not happening.

[Image: journey-dont-stop-believing.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Some people seem to think there needs to be a massive overhaul to the OL/DL because of going 1-5 in the division (despite winning 8 other games).

For defense, it was basically the same DL and LBs in 2023 as it was in 2021 and 2022.
Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, Hill, Pratt, and Wilson.
2021 - 5th in rush yards allowed, 13th in YPC allowed
2022 - 7th in rush yards allowed, 9th in YPC allowed
2023 they were much worse, but it was basically the same guys.
If there's any spot that really changed in 2023, it was the new, young safeties though. Bell had a pretty big impact on the run game. Hill and Battle need to grow, especially against the run, but I don't think we need to push the panic button after just one bad year with brand new safeties. Heck, with Burrow down, the Bengals weren't likely going to the AFCCG/SB anyway even with a good defense.

OL has continued to be a problem though the past 3 years, despite who has been added.
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen, it's due to the players' skill set and scheme.
But we need to be realistic and understand that whether we like it or not, 4 of the 5 spots are locks for 2024.
Is a new RT going to magically make this OL a Top 10 unit against the run and/or pass protection?
I don't think so, as we still have the same coaching minus Callahan.
Maybe Pitcher though will bring some new creativity to get this limited OL more effective while masking their weaknesses.

I agree with all this. Kinda perplexed about our run defense. It had been solid the last 2 years with the same group. I’m just not sold on Pollack in the least bit. Some say they aren’t athletic. Some say they are better in zone or others in gap. Whatever the running backs, the linemen, and Pollack are not a match. Mixon dances around too much in a zone scheme so they went to more a gap. He needs to know where to go. So are the linemen more suited for zone? I don’t know which 9ne Pollack is best at coaching. Regardless it’s dysfunctional. I got frustrated in the playoffs watching other teams run games. It’s really pathetic our run game. I’m hearing they want a much improved TE. Better than they’ve had the entire Zac time here. I’d expect they are also eyeing a Mixon replacement for ‘25. I differ from others I think they aren’t looking at WR because they will tag Tee. I’m not worried about him balking at playing.i think they’ve not ruled out a higher ceiling with Jones & Isovias. They’ll hold off using a high pick on WR or in FA.I think RT in the first round and DT in FA. 2nd round BPA at TE, RB,
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 05:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I agree with all this. Kinda perplexed about our run defense. It had been solid the last 2 years with the same group. I’m just not sold on Pollack in the least bit. Some say they aren’t athletic. Some say they are better in zone or others in gap. Whatever the running backs, the linemen, and Pollack are not a match. Mixon dances around too much in a zone scheme so they went to more a gap. He needs to know where to go. So are the linemen more suited for zone? I don’t know which 9ne Pollack is best at coaching. Regardless it’s dysfunctional. I got frustrated in the playoffs watching other teams run games. It’s really pathetic our run game. I’m hearing they want a much improved TE. Better than they’ve had the entire Zac time here. I’d expect they are also eyeing a Mixon replacement for ‘25. I differ from others I think they aren’t looking at WR because they will tag Tee. I’m not worried about him balking at playing.i think they’ve not ruled out a higher ceiling with Jones & Isovias. They’ll hold off using a high pick on WR or in FA.I think RT in the first round and DT in FA. 2nd round BPA at TE, RB,

You're hearing that from your insider?
If so, I REALLY hope it happens, as I love a good Tight End (joke here obviously Hilarious )

In all seriousness, how great could this offense be with someone like Fant, Schultz, or Bowers?
Imma get that dream outta my head so I don't get disappointed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 05:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're hearing that from your insider?
If so, I REALLY hope it happens, as I love a good Tight End (joke here obviously Hilarious )

In all serious know, how great could this offense be with someone like Fant, Schultz, or Bowers?
Imma get that dream outta my head so I don't get disappointed.

I think the 1 year deals with free agents wearing thin and the continuity.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think the 1 year deals with free agents wearing thin and the continuity.

Can you bounce this question to your bud?

If Bowers is still sitting there in the low-mid teens, what's the likelihood of trading up a few spots to get him?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With Bill Callahan gone from CLE, I'm thinking Browns will be one. CLE is also $20 mill over the cap currently.
Ravens have a shot too if Jackson gets hurt again. He did miss the last stretch of games in 2021 and 2022. They also have some key guys about to hit FA and only have $5 mill in cap space before cutting and restructuring. They might not be as good as they were this past year.
I'd like to think one of these times the Steelers will not weasel their way to a winning season, but they always seem to. Eventually it has to catch up with them. Arthur Smith is able to run a good run offense with TEs in the passing game, but TEN got beat by our Bengals in Nashville in the playoffs while he was OC, so I'm not overly worried about him.
Steelers are also $15 mill over the cap currently, so they could end up cutting or having to restructure too. They have traditionally been very good at manipulating the cap though.

I don’t see the division will be as strong next year. As you mentioned especially Baltimore has a lot of free agents. Nobody that’s super important but their depth darn sure will suffer. You nailed Cleveland and Pittsburgh’s issues.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t see the division will be as strong next year. As you mentioned especially Baltimore has a lot of free agents. Nobody that’s super important but their depth darn sure will. You nailed Cleveland and Pittsburgh’s issues.

Uhh...Pro Bowler Justin Madubuike?
13 sacks for an IDL is pretty important.

Kevin Zeitler as well, who started most of the season and made the Pro Bowl.
Patrick Queen another, as BAL declined picking up his 5th year option.
Both JK Dobbins and Gus Edwards.

They have plenty of impactful guys about to hit FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uhh...Pro Bowler Justin Madubuike?
13 sacks for an IDL is pretty important.

Kevin Zeitler as well, who started most of the season and made the Pro Bowl.
Patrick Queen another, as BAL declined picking up his 5th year option.
Both JK Dobbins and Gus Edwards.

They have plenty of impactful guys about to hit FA.

Missed on Madubulke but Justin Hill was getting a ton of playing t8me at RB and Trenton Simpson will probably replace Queen.Again I used the word super players. They’ve got issues but there’s are more the depth of the roster is going to be hurt the most.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 07:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Missed on Madubulke but Justin Hill was getting a ton of playing t8me at RB and Trenton Simpson will probably replace Queen.Again I used the word super players. They’ve got issues but there’s are more the depth of the roster is going to be hurt the most.

I liked Simpson in last year's draft and was sad to see him go to BAL, but he only played 5% of the defensive snaps last year.
Even if they do slot him in place of Queen next year, that's a gamble.
He's essentially just like Dax Hill was going into his 2nd year - unknown.

BAL also has Clowney hitting FA, who put up 9.5 sacks for them.
Over 20 sacks could be lost in the guys they have hitting FA.
Even with draft picks and depth, that might decline.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Can you bounce this question to your bud?

If Bowers is still sitting there in the low-mid teens, what's the likelihood of trading up a few spots to get him?

I certainly will closer to time. Lots can change. I doubt they even know. Guyton has had a hell of a Senior Bowl week. They need a RT worse than a TE.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 07:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I liked Simpson in last year's draft and was sad to see him go to BAL, but he only played 5% of the defensive snaps last year.
Even if they do slot him in place of Queen next year, that's a gamble.
He's essentially just like Dax Hill was going into his 2nd year - unknown.

BAL also has Clowney hitting FA, who put up 9.5 sacks for them.
Over 20 sacks could be lost in the guys they have hitting FA.
Even with draft picks and depth, that might decline.

I mean everybody has issues. We had to plug Battle and Dax in. I still think their large volume of I expect roster turnover is troublesome for them.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 08:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I mean everybody has issues. We had to plug Battle and Dax in. I still think their large volume of I expect roster turnover is troublesome for them.

They didn't have to plug Battle in, they chose to because Scott was underwhelming and Battle was showing better than some/most expected so quickly.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 05:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I agree with all this. Kinda perplexed about our run defense. It had been solid the last 2 years with the same group. I’m just not sold on Pollack in the least bit. Some say they aren’t athletic. Some say they are better in zone or others in gap. Whatever the running backs, the linemen, and Pollack are not a match. Mixon dances around too much in a zone scheme so they went to more a gap. He needs to know where to go. So are the linemen more suited for zone? I don’t know which 9ne Pollack is best at coaching. Regardless it’s dysfunctional. I got frustrated in the playoffs watching other teams run games. It’s really pathetic our run game. I’m hearing they want a much improved TE. Better than they’ve had the entire Zac time here. I’d expect they are also eyeing a Mixon replacement for ‘25. I differ from others I think they aren’t looking at WR because they will tag Tee. I’m not worried about him balking at playing.i think they’ve not ruled out a higher ceiling with Jones & Isovias. They’ll hold off using a high pick on WR or in FA.I think RT in the first round and DT in FA. 2nd round BPA at TE, RB,

What is frustrating is seeing holes pete Johnson could run though in payoffs with opposing teams yet our oline .makes no holes
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is saying their defense will totally fall off a cliff and be terrible. But there’s a big difference between “solid” and historically great. Getting Macdonald out of not only the division, but the conference is absolutely a big deal.

And a lot of Ravens fans are ready to run Harbaugh out of town from what I’ve been seeing. He’s been underperforming in the playoffs for years now. Macdonald’s defense just held the  Chiefs to only 17 points (0 in the 2nd half) and they still shit the bed and lost.

Again the idea of huge losing a DC on a consistent very good to great defense under Harbaugh is a bit of a reach but hey if that is you definition go for it I guess
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 08:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They didn't have to plug Battle in, they chose to because Scott was underwhelming and Battle was showing better than some/most expected so quickly.

They had to plug in a new starter. I’m just saying the Ravens are going to have a lot of new starters. I don’t think they will be as good

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 08:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What is frustrating is seeing holes pete Johnson could run though in payoffs with opposing teams yet our oline .makes no holes

Even this old Okie remembers behemoth Pete. I hear you are holes aren’t big enough for toddlers

Reply/Quote