Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
We Need a Better Record Against the AFC North
(02-02-2024, 08:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What is frustrating is seeing holes pete Johnson could run though in payoffs with opposing teams yet our oline .makes no holes

Doesn't help that our RB doesn't have good vision. So even when they are there, he has to see them and then hit them quickly..... and then not get turf monstered or shoestring tackled.

That said, we certainly need to replace Pollack. Also not impressed with our WR blocking downfield.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 09:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Again the idea of huge losing a DC on a consistent very good to great defense under Harbaugh is a bit of a reach but hey if that is you definition go for it I guess

You’re just arguing for the sake of it at this point. Semantics aside, this is a good thing for the Bengals. Macdonald had their #.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 09:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Again the idea of huge losing a DC on a consistent very good to great defense under Harbaugh is a bit of a reach but hey if that is you definition go for it I guess

How did MacDonald get that DC job?  Oh yeah, the last DC was fired with a year left on his contract, was that because they were so good to great?  

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 02:09 AM)casear2727 Wrote: How did MacDonald get that DC job?  Oh yeah, the last DC was fired with a year left on his contract, was that because they were so good to great?  

some on here seem to have memory loss as they frame the Ravens as not bring a consistent top tier defense under Harbaugh tenure, I hope you are right that ravens are bad next year on defense but history is not on your side .
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 03:44 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: some on here seem to have memory loss as they frame the Ravens as not bring a consistent top tier defense under Harbaugh tenure, I hope you are right that ravens are bad next year on defense but history is not on your side .

I never said they would be bad, that is you projecting, again.  But they did fire their DC just 2 seasons ago, so they haven't been consistently great during Burrow's tenure.  In fact he had some of his best games vs the Ravens defense. 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 04:09 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I never said they would be bad, that is you projecting, again.  But they did fire their DC just 2 seasons ago, so they haven't been consistently great during Burrow's tenure.  In fact he had some of his best games vs the Ravens defense. 

I just don;t see it as a huge loss since the Ravens have been so damn consistent as a strong defense under Harbaugh, it will be a setback yes, i think a bigger lose in our division just happen up North to the Browns, losing Callahan as Oline coach.. sad we could not have gotten him to Cincy, i think we would be in a much better place on our oline
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 12:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I just don;t see it as a huge loss since the Ravens have been so damn consistent as a strong defense under Harbaugh, it will be a setback yes, i think a bigger lose in our division just happen up North to the Browns, losing Callahan as Oline coach.. sad we could not have gotten him to Cincy, i think we would be in a much better place on our oline

I think you have to commend Baltimore for making the changes with staff and solid front office decisions to make them better. They changed coordinators. They improved the WR position some of their moves on defense have strengthened them. Kyle Hamilton & Roquain have stepped them up. But we barely lost the first game with a severely hobbled Joe and limited offense capabilities and were up 10-7 when he hurt his wrist. Some on here act like the Ravens steamrolled us.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 12:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think you have to commend Baltimore for making the changes with staff and solid front office decisions to make them better. They changed coordinators. They improved the WR position some of their moves on defense have strengthened them. Kyle Hamilton & Roquain have stepped them up. But we barely lost the first game with a severely hobbled Joe and limited offense capabilities and were up 10-7 when he hurt his wrist. Some on here act like the Ravens steamrolled us.

As same time, they almost beat us at home last year in playoffs with a very depleted team... our division is a dog fight, the past three years here are the division wins and Bengals and Ravens have won the division the last 3 years.. Sure some games teams had injuries or maybe played backups but still enough data to look at

Steelers 12
Browns 9
Bengals and Ravens 7
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 12:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As same time, they almost beat us at home last year in playoffs with a very depleted team... our division is a dog fight, the past three years here are the division wins and Bengals and Ravens have won the division the last 3 years.. Sure some games teams had injuries or maybe played backups but still enough data to look at

Steelers 12
Browns 9
Bengals and Ravens 7

We won the division in ‘21 & ‘22. We won the division games 4-2 in ‘21 (counting conceding the last game to the Browns) and went 3-3 in ‘22. The Steelers overall record those 3 years? How’d those 12 wins help them? They are 0-2 in the playoffs and we are 5-2. Their overall record 28-22-1. We are 31-19 and 1 AFC title, 1 SB appearance, and 1 more AFC title appearance. We just need to improve the run game and rush defense. We’ll be fine. Only having Joe heathy 5 games was what did us in. And it’d have derailed Baltimore, KC, SF ( maybe less) and Detroit. We’d made the playoffs if we’d gotten Jake and the offense ready for the first few games but we didn’t. We are 6-3 the last 3 years to the Bills,KC, and SF. There’s the total picture
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 12:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As same time, they almost beat us at home last year in playoffs with a very depleted team... our division is a dog fight, the past three years here are the division wins and Bengals and Ravens have won the division the last 3 years..  Sure some games teams had injuries or maybe played backups but still enough data to look at

Steelers 12
Browns 9
Bengals and Ravens 7

Playing a divisional rival 3 TIMES and especially in back-to-back games is difficult for any team.  That should be common knowledge, and "almost beat"?  What is this horseshoes?  

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 02:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Playing a divisional rival 3 TIMES and especially in back-to-back games is difficult for any team.  That should be common knowledge, and "almost beat"?  What is this horseshoes?  

with some of your posts, i actually think it is russian roulette..
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 01:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We won the division in ‘21 & ‘22. We won the division games 4-2 in ‘21 (counting conceding the last game to the Browns) and went 3-3 in ‘22. The Steelers overall record those 3 years? How’d those 12 wins help them? They are 0-2 in the playoffs and we are 5-2. Their overall record 28-22-1. We are 31-19 and 1 AFC title, 1 SB appearance, and 1 more AFC title appearance. We just need to improve the run game and rush defense. We’ll be fine. Only having Joe heathy 5 games was what did us in. And it’d have derailed Baltimore, KC, SF ( maybe less) and Detroit. We’d made the playoffs if we’d gotten Jake and the offense ready for the first few games but we didn’t. We are 6-3 the last 3 years to the Bills,KC, and SF. There’s the total picture

Not really sure where you are going with the post, I think i mentioned though Bengals and Ravens have the least wins in division over past three years, they have won the division, and both have better records outside division but it is also true the Steelers and Browns have played better with in division which makes it a tough division...
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 03:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: with some of your posts, i actually think it is russian roulette..

You lack so much basic info of other teams.  Maybe keep up with the entire NFL just a little bit if you want to be considered half way credible?

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 03:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not really sure where you are going with the post, I think i mentioned though Bengals and Ravens have the least wins in division over past three years, they have won the division, and both have better records outside division but it is also true the Steelers and Browns have played better with in division which makes it a tough division...

I was responding pretty much to this.

Steelers 12
Browns 9
Bengals and Ravens 7

Yes the division is a dogfight but JMHO many on the board are focusing on the battle not the war or focusing on the trees not the forest. We just need to fix some things like the run game, pass pro, and run defense. That’s not to say we don’t need to also look at our matchups within the division.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 04:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I was responding pretty much to this.

Steelers 12
Browns 9
Bengals and Ravens 7

Yes the division is a dogfight but JMHO many on the board are focusing on the battle not the war or focusing on the trees not the forest. We just need to fix some things like the run game, pass pro, and run defense. That’s not to say we don’t need to also look at our matchups within the division.

Exactly, the Steelers and Browns have had good wins in the division but have gotten destroyed in the playoffs.  

Reply/Quote

Ravens losing another coach.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 03:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Ravens losing another coach.

It means nothing.
Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 04:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I was responding pretty much to this.

Steelers 12
Browns 9
Bengals and Ravens 7

I agree with the sentiment of the last bit. Nobody is saying we'd rather beat the Browns/Steelers/Ravens and not beat the Bills/Chiefs. We hate the division teams, but we'd all rather win playoff games I'd bet. However, it doesn't have to be one or the other and there's a strong chance of running into these teams in the playoffs currently too.

We're largely on the 'right path' in the sense that we tend to be very competitive with the rest of the league. We've had the Bills number recently and seem to be about the only team who find success against the Chiefs. We whipped SF in SF this year. There's nobody in the NFC I 'fear' us playing. We're a major contender, that's not debatable. 

#1 seed isn't the be all and end all... but take the 2022 season. We had a 9-1 non-division record... and still had to go to Arrowhead in the playoffs. Despite this season's issues, we were still 8-3 outside of the division.

Across the past 3 seasons... we're 31-19 in the regular season.. comprising of 23-9 outside of the division, and 8-10 in the division (certainly an injury impact record mind)... I've no issue with us going on the road as I think we're very good at it, but figuring out the division record would help us out for sure. 

Long story short though, if we can just get into the playoffs with a relatively healthy team I trust the team to figure their way through the postseason. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 04:26 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree with the sentiment of the last bit. Nobody is saying we'd rather beat the Browns/Steelers/Ravens and not beat the Bills/Chiefs. We hate the division teams, but we'd all rather win playoff games I'd bet. However, it doesn't have to be one or the other and there's a strong chance of running into these teams in the playoffs currently too.

We're largely on the 'right path' in the sense that we tend to be very competitive with the rest of the league. We've had the Bills number recently and seem to be about the only team who find success against the Chiefs. We whipped SF in SF this year. There's nobody in the NFC I 'fear' us playing. We're a major contender, that's not debatable. 

#1 seed isn't the be all and end all... but take the 2022 season. We had a 9-1 non-division record... and still had to go to Arrowhead in the playoffs. Despite this season's issues, we were still 8-3 outside of the division.

Across the past 3 seasons... we're 31-19 in the regular season.. comprising of 23-9 outside of the division, and 8-10 in the division (certainly an injury impact record mind)... I've no issue with us going on the road as I think we're very good at it, but figuring out the division record would help us out for sure. 

Long story short though, if we can just get into the playoffs with a relatively healthy team I trust the team to figure their way through the postseason. 

I think this past season is great example, going 0-2 this year felt way different with also being 0-2 in div. felt like we were 3 games out of division and already 0-2 in conference not a good formula to go by year in and year out.
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure how anyone can look at how bad we look against Dallas and confidently say that the bengals shouldn’t fear any NFC team.
Reply/Quote