Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We all said ZT couldn't coach...
(12-06-2022, 03:42 PM)Housh Wrote: Yeah that felt extra

It’s a football message board and no one should be shit on for sicyssing football

The extra was for the saying. Had nothing to do with the poster. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The extra was for the saying. Had nothing to do with the poster. 

Ok. Yeah it seemed super out of nowhere. I’m unbiased so i can tell you that.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
He’s not a garbage coach but his decision making when it’s goal to go is suspect.

Sundays end around had the reverse feeling of the championship game. The game where he tried to shovel pass one play then trickery the next play was awful.

There was a drive to the end zone that ended in a fg try and there was 0 runs called inside the 10.

I think the bengals are like one of the best in the league at scoring in the red zone still, but these kinds of plays can really turn the game around. I know he’s learning but…He’s bright enough and experienced enough to learn and be better than that.

I love being aggressive on that 4th down against KC. Total agreement. It’s the stupid play call.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 03:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I refuse to accept this...

[Image: kheuyjnqpympjjnewhvj]

You refuse to accept a player making a great individual play when he's expected to crash down and just decides to take a shot at the motion guy getting the ball? 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think a ton on here are very good observers and for no experience in the coaching profession very astute. I’ve shared this before. The light just didn’t come on for Zac. And that’s not to say they all haven’t evolved and improved.. But I know a college football HOF coach easily in the top 10 all time. He explained to me one time how much a poor offensive line can effect so much you want to do. Zac and Brian including their college days have seen plenty of cover 2 and Tampa 2. It didn’t take until the 6th game to figure it out. It took Joe who has always wanted to hold the ball and get the big play ( the ease of doing it at LSU ruined him for awhile).

Zac was inexperienced and know way Bill Belicheck wasn’t dramatically better year 4 or that his coaching acumen has regressed. Of course a top QB makes a difference. Saban had no QB at the Dolphins and failed. Jimmy Johnson wasn’t a crap coach his first year although he went 1-15. Amazing how things turned around with Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith.

I’m not saying Zac’s not learned or improved but there are lots of great coaches who struggled until they got a top QB and better roster. Most on here have agreed how much Zac has done for the culture and turning this team into a confident bunch. He’s the one who coined the mantra “ They’ve got to play us”. But Tom Brady’s supporting cast has effected him this year.

The difference this year ( certainly not the only one) is that the coaches just didn’t have that light bulb come on around the fifth or sixth game the offensive line gelled.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:02 PM)Housh Wrote: Ok. Yeah it seemed super out of nowhere. I’m unbiased so i can tell you that.

It's not nearly the first time i've brought it up. Rant 

Pet peeve. Cool

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:04 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: He’s not a garbage coach but his decision making when it’s goal to go is suspect.

Sundays end around had the reverse feeling of the championship game. The game where he tried to shovel pass one play then trickery the next play was awful.

There was a drive to the end zone that ended in a fg try and there was 0 runs called inside the 10.

I think the bengals are like one of the best in the league at scoring in the red zone still, but these kinds of plays can really turn the game around. I know he’s learning but…He’s bright enough and experienced enough to learn and be better than that.

I love being aggressive on that 4th down against KC. Total agreement. It’s the stupid play call.

The end around was audible to by Joe and it actually wasn't a bad call. If it would have worked we all would have loved it. Dunlap just made a special play on it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
My only concern will be Lou leaving, as he should. I think an important aspect of your HC is as coordinators come and go, you still play at a high level with a good team. Besides that, I think Zac has been really good. Love the confidence, the discipline the team has (penalties seem to be way less since we got ZT), and the ability to win really high pressure games.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You refuse to accept a player making a great individual play when he's expected to crash down and just decides to take a shot at the motion guy getting the ball? 

I refuse to accept a 4th down play before the half where Trent Taylor is your answer. Yes. Take the 3 and go up by 7, or if you absolutely refuse to take the points, at least use a good player.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The end around was audible to by Joe and it actually wasn't a bad call. If it would have worked we all would have loved it. Dunlap just made a special play on it. 

Clearly Joe audibled into it. But the rams beat us with the same play with Cooper Cupp.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 03:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'll be the first to eat crow.

I always liked ZT as a head coach, but always thought his offense was lacking. It was set up on go balls to Chase and his offense wasn't sustainable.

After the first half of the season, a lot of us complained about the offense and how we couldn't beat cover two.

Well, this offense has evolved remarkably since then. They are using the entire field, throwing intermediate, and running with consistency.

I think we need to give ZT and his offensive staff a TON of credit for adjusting on the fly and turning this offense around from one dimensional to completely fluent.

Bengals EPA vs Cover 2
First 6 weeks: -.07 (28th in league)
After week 6: .36 (1st)

That is incredible.

He coaches well when they get 1st downs and scores but ain't worth a s___t otherwise. Always going to be that way with most fans and especially people that have never played the game at either the HS or college level.

Football is really really hard.
Reply/Quote
The staff has definately improved. I still argue that if Andy Dalton was the QB, they'd be going 4-13 every year, so having Burrow is huge.

During the game, they talked about how Callahan watches every scoring play in the NFL and incorporates some of them into the Bengals offense. That's a really good thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:29 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He coaches well when they get 1st downs and scores but ain't worth a s___t otherwise. Always going to be that way with most fans and especially people that have never played the game at either the HS or college level.

Football is really really hard.

Football is more strategy and matchup dependent than fans acknowledge. We matchup very well with the Chiefs and Titans. And don't matchup great against the Browns and Cowboys for instance.

In some way, I think Madden the game helped some understand football and hurt in some ways.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You refuse to accept a player making a great individual play when he's expected to crash down and just decides to take a shot at the motion guy getting the ball? 

I was told that guy wasn't worth a damn though...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 03:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Zac is excellent in some areas and in others well, I guess we just have to accept the occasional ridiculous play call. 

All coaches, even the very best, make the "occasional ridiculous play call." You see head-scratching play calls and ill-advised use of time outs all the time. Its the nature of the job.

When I saw that Jim Breech was Ruler of the Jungle this week, it reminded me of a head-scratching call by Sam Wyche in a 1987 game against the 49ers. Breech had hit 4 FGs and would have been the hero of the game. I watched that game on TV, not live, but it's an ending I may never forget. 

The Bengals led by 6 with 6 seconds left and had the ball, 4th down at their own 31. Rather than punt, and eat up the 6 seconds, Sam Wyche decides James Brooks can run around for 6 seconds and run the clock out. But ... he got downed with 1 second left. Joe Montano, with one second on the clock, then throws a TD pass for the 49ers win.

So far, I've been pleased with Taylor's decision making. How he risked things last January in the first game against KC and was able to run the clock down for a last-second FG. Or how on Sunday he went for it with the 3rd and 11 call, rather than kick the field goal. Imagine the venom that would have been heaped on Taylor if Burrow had misfired and the Chiefs then had extra time to go down the field?

Its a lonely spot, but Taylor seems to have the right mental strength for handling such a difficult job. And, as the say, victory has a hundred fathers, but defeat is an orphan.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The end around was audible to by Joe and it actually wasn't a bad call. If it would have worked we all would have loved it. Dunlap just made a special play on it. 

Clearly Joe audibled into it. But the rams beat us with the same play with Cooper Cupp.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I refuse to accept a 4th down play before the half where Trent Taylor is your answer. Yes. Take the 3 and go up by 7, or if you absolutely refuse to take the points, at least use a good player.

That's fair and i agree.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The staff has definately improved. I still argue that if Andy Dalton was the QB, they'd be going 4-13 every year, so having Burrow is huge.

During the game, they talked about how Callahan watches every scoring play in the NFL and incorporates some of them into the Bengals offense. That's a really good thing.

If they had prime Andy Dalton i'd say the results would be similar to '11-'15. Current Andy Dalton, probably better than 4 wins but not much over .500.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 04:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I refuse to accept a 4th down play before the half where Trent Taylor is your answer. Yes. Take the 3 and go up by 7, or if you absolutely refuse to take the points, at least use a good player.

Did you refuse to accept the 2-point conversion in the Super Bowl when they went to Trent Taylor?
Reply/Quote

It's almost like the other team's players don't get paid to make great plays. Dunlap made a great play. Didn't do what he was supposed to do, but that's nothing new. 
Reply/Quote