Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are on Candidate #7 for DC
Why not just go with Rex Ryan or John Fox?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
maybe they already turned us down too....

really though, at this point the team needs to be looking outside the current coaching ranks because it seems pretty clear that teams are now protecting their coaches

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Well, I think it's safe to say that if the candidate is a DC at a major college football program or another NFL Team...they are likely not going to come here.
Reply/Quote
Good. I like the Bengals and have been rooting for them my whole life, but stay the heck away from my Buckeyes!
Reply/Quote
Jack Del Rio
Dennis Allen
Dom Capers
Aubrey Pleasant
Aaron Glenn
Todd Grantham
Vance Joseph
Marquand Manuel
Jeff Hafley

We are on to candidate #10 by my count. These are all guys we've reached out to that just didn't work out for whatever reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 09:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jack Del Rio
Dennis Allen
Dom Capers
Aubrey Pleasant
Aaron Glenn
Todd Grantham
Vance Joseph
Marquand Manuel
Jeff Hafley

We are on to candidate #10 by my count. These are all guys we've reached out to that just didn't work out for whatever reason.

Just to nitpick a little LOL - Joseph interviewed prior to Taylor and I don't think they've actually talked to Manuel yet. 
Reply/Quote
This makes me worry about Zac and the team as a whole. I wonder if it has something to do with him. Some didn't want to take the job for various reasons. Some apparently were not a good fit according to our new very inexperienced head coach. Now it seems we are trying to find anyone with even a few years experience. A good NFL team with a solid head coach should have decent defensive coaches lining up for a job. Instead it seems the Bengals are casting out lines and hoping something gets caught.

As much as I want to believe in this total coaching revamp, I wonder if Zac has a personality issue or plan that turns people off from wanting to be a part of the revamp. Let's face it, a QB coach for the Rams doesn't actually carry a lot of weight when it comes to attracting coaching talent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: This makes me worry about Zac and the team as a whole.  I wonder if it has something to do with him.  Some didn't want to take the job for various reasons.  Some apparently were not a good fit according to our new very inexperienced head coach. Now it seems we are trying to find anyone with even a few years experience.  A good NFL team with a solid head coach should have decent defensive coaches lining up for a job.  Instead it seems the Bengals are casting out lines and hoping something gets caught.  

As much as I want to believe in this total coaching revamp, I wonder if Zac has a personality that turns people off from wanting to be a part of the revamp.

I've read a take by I believe Michael Lombardi that can't believe Taylor got a HC job. He went through the evidence that Taylor has been mediocre at every stop except the Rams...
Reply/Quote
So now we’re just suppose to let anyone run the defense as long as they accept the job?

Of course it’s a bummer it’s taking so long, but let the process run it’s course.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:18 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: So now we’re just suppose to let anyone run the defense as long as they accept the job?

Of course it’s a bummer it’s taking so long, but let the process run it’s course.

Devil's Advocate being the Devil's Advocate.   Perfect.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: This makes me worry about Zac and the team as a whole.  I wonder if it has something to do with him.  Some didn't want to take the job for various reasons.  Some apparently were not a good fit according to our new very inexperienced head coach. Now it seems we are trying to find anyone with even a few years experience.  A good NFL team with a solid head coach should have decent defensive coaches lining up for a job.  Instead it seems the Bengals are casting out lines and hoping something gets caught.  

As much as I want to believe in this total coaching revamp, I wonder if Zac has a personality issue or plan that turns people off from wanting to be a part of the revamp.   Let's face it, a QB coach for the Rams doesn't actually carry a lot of weight when it comes to attracting coaching talent.

This only works with a strong FO. They should have never waited to lock down the staff till after the Superbowl.

A stronger FO would have made sure he got his guys (or at least his plan L). It's the Bengals (if things changed, league coaches don't feel it yet, and with Marvin gone who can they trust?) this isn't on ZT. He's finding this out the hard way.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've read a take by I believe Michael Lombardi that can't believe Taylor got a HC job. He went through the evidence that Taylor has been mediocre at every stop except the Rams...

And he still can't attract even a mediocre defensive coach to be on his staff.  Maybe that has more to do with the front office.  I don't know.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
My original pick for DC last year and I’d still love to get him here this year, just haven’t read any rumors about teams wanting him or his interest in the NFL, is Jim Leonhard. Former player, college DC at Wisconsin, coaches and players rave about his knowledge and attention to detail.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21425869/jim-leonhard-wisconsin-defensive-whiz-kid
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: This only works with a strong FO. They should have never waited to lock down the staff till after the Superbowl.

A stronger FO would have made sure he got his guys (or at least his plan L). It's the Bengals (if things changed, league coaches don't feel it yet, and with Marvin gone who can they trust?) this isn't on ZT. He's finding this out the hard way.

That's the elephant in the room.

Inexperienced coach coupled with a front office that hasn't won a playoff game in 27+ years.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:52 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: And he still can't attract even a mediocre defensive coach to be on his staff.  Maybe that has more to do with the front office.  I don't know.

It's definately atleast a bit concerning. This just doesn't happen to other teams.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: My original pick for DC last year and I’d still love to get him here this year, just haven’t read any rumors about teams wanting him or his interest in the NFL, is Jim Leonhard. Former player, college DC at Wisconsin, coaches and players rave about his knowledge and attention to detail.

Even back when he was a player, I always thought he'd be a good coach.  Few guys have ever gotten more outa what God gave 'em.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:52 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: And he still can't attract even a mediocre defensive coach to be on his staff.  Maybe that has more to do with the front office.  I don't know.

Did the FO struggle to get any DC under Marv? Only one thing has changed in the equation.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Did the FO struggle to get any DC under Marv? Only one thing has changed in the equation.

You're gonna make the Homers mad.

These guys aren't turning us down. We're turning them down until we find the right fit!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just to nitpick a little LOL - Joseph interviewed prior to Taylor and I don't think they've actually talked to Manuel yet. 

We were supposedly interested in Vance as DC and the word was that he'd accept only the HC gig, nothing else. So in a roundabout way, he rejected the DC job. You're right on Manuel though...he was on the list of guys we were supposed to bring in, but I don't think he was ever interviewed. 

So...9? But who's keeping track, right?  Hilarious
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: This only works with a strong FO. They should have never waited to lock down the staff till after the Superbowl.

I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again.  This is going to be either an epic turn around via coaching or a major fail.  The Bengals are all in with a coach with very little experience who also said he will be making the offensive play calls, a team basically begging at this point for a decent defensive coordinator, and an offense/defense that is aging.  Let's hope for a hell of a good draft and a few good free agency picks.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote