Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We better get Uzomah..
...some stickum! Because it looks like that who we will be rolling with for the foreseeable future.

Really, he looks to be a good athlete and willing blocker, just need to get him past those drops. Elsewise Andy may lose confidence in him, stop throwing to him, and the TE position won't be respected as anything but a decoy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Definitely would be a good player if he didnt have hands of stone
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 04:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ...some stickum!  Because it looks like that who we will be rolling with for the foreseeable future.

Really, he looks to be a good athlete and willing blocker, just need to get him past those drops.  Elsewise Andy may lose confidence in him, stop throwing to him, and the TE position won't be respected as anything but a decoy.

He was better against the Dolphins. I haven't gave up on Uzi's hands yet, he ain't no Daniel Coates..

We have Kroft and Hewitt too who have good hands. Not like we are backed into a bad corner here like in the past.

We still have good TE's, next man up until Eif is back.
Reply/Quote
The multiple drops have already cost Uzomah the confidence. Add in the mysterious disappearance of Tyler Kroft and we are extremely one dimensional in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps someone could put him in touch with Lester Hayes.  I think Hayes still lives in Texas so maybe a meetup before the game could be arranged.
[Image: LONGMAN4-blog427.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was better against the Dolphins. I haven't gave up on Uzi's hands yet, he ain't no Daniel Coates..

We have Kroft and Hewitt too who have good hands. Not like we are backed into a bad corner here like in the past.

I agree with you, Nate.  Uzomah is catching up with the pro game, just not fast enough for most of our liking.  I've seen him make some tough catches, it seems he drops the easy ones.  That tells me one thing, that he's looking past the catch, and what he will do after he catches the ball.  Just need to get him to focus on securing the catch, before dazzling the world with his athletic brilliance.  Didn't Gresham have a similar irritating habit, when he was young?
(10-05-2016, 06:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: The multiple drops have already cost Uzomah the confidence. Add in the mysterious disappearance of Tyler Kroft and we are extremely one dimensional in the red zone.

The drops may have resulted in fewer overall targets, but I feel confident that he and Andy, as well as the coaching staff are working hard to remedy this problem.  All it takes is a few clutch receptions in key situations to erase a lot of bad memories.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with you, Nate.  Uzomah is catching up with the pro game, just not fast enough for most of our liking.  I've seen him make some tough catches, it seems he drops the easy ones.  That tells me one thing, that he's looking past the catch, and what he will do after he catches the ball.  Just need to get him to focus on securing the catch, before dazzling the world with his athletic brilliance.  Didn't Gresham have a similar irritating habit, when he was young?

The drops may have resulted in fewer overall targets, but I feel confident that he and Andy, as well as the coaching staff are working hard to remedy this problem.  All it takes is a few clutch receptions in key situations to erase a lot of bad memories.

20 games into their careers:

Uzomah:  12rec....148yds......0TDs
Gresham: 68 rec....658yds......6TDs

I know, starter vs backup and all that, but one of those guys seems like a faster learner than the other.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 08:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 20 games into their careers:

I know, starter vs backup and all that, but one of those guys seems like a faster learner than the other.  

Correct, bad comparison.  Gresham didn't have a beast like Tyler Eifert to sit the bench behind, he only had to outshine the bust that was Chase Coffman.

Besides, why are you wanting to piss on Uzomah, when he's pretty much all we got right now? I was trying to be optimistic here..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Correct, bad comparison.  Gresham didn't have a beast like Tyler Eifert to sit the bench behind, he only had to outshine the bust that was Chase Coffman.

Besides, why are you wanting to piss on Uzomah, when he's pretty much all we got right now?  I was trying to be optimistic here..

Fine, I won't spoil your optimism.  I was under the impression Eifert was either going to be 100% by day one and/or Kroft/Uzomoah were going to be awesome as hell by now, given the optimism I'd heard for months on end.

Optimism WAS Uzomah being a regular Eifert when he got the chance, but now optimism has decayed to Uzomah eventually learning how to make an NFL-caliber catch.  Ouch.

Anyways, I'm not pissing on the Bengals' TE parade as much as I'm just thinking said parade may BE a parade of piss.

Eifert - TOTALLY going to be fine any day now (for 10 months)
Kroft - TOTALLY going to be comparable to Eifert on the field. Whoops, his "he will totally be fine in 18 minutes and 39 seconds" knee injury is holding him back over 2 months later
Uzomah - piss until specified otherwise
Reply/Quote
i have a pretty good feeling they are going to target a TE early in the draft. eifert= glass. uzomah = no hands. kroft = a nobody.....
Reply/Quote
Uzomah was always a project with insane measurables, Kroft missed training camp and Eifert is an injury dumpster fire. Uzomah has greatly improved. Hopefully he stops having to think and starts catching the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 06:37 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Perhaps someone could put him in touch with Lester Hayes.  I think Hayes still lives in Texas so maybe a meetup before the game could be arranged.
[Image: LONGMAN4-blog427.jpg]

That's some funny shit!   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 08:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 20 games into their careers:

?

Ceej has played in 8 games in his career, 4 where he's seen more than 10 snaps (he had 6 routes run in 2015, from what I can find. The rest were pass/run blocking snaps). Where did you get 20 from? Now, if he started and played 67%+ of the snaps every game like Gresh, then you have a point, but one guy was the most NFL-ready and consensus best TE in his class (obviously didn't turn out that way), the other wasn't even top 10 (12th on TSX) and was far and away a project pick; I'm not shooting down the comparison, but you must be fair here:

At 4 games: Ceej- 22 targets, 10 rec. 144 yards, 0 TD, 54 Long
At 4 games: Gresh- 27 targets, 18 rec, 134 yards, 1 TD, 27 Long

Officially, as well, Ceej has been credited with 1 drop (I don't buy that myself; he should probably have 4 drops), but I can't fnd drop numbers for 2010.

Regardless, shitting on the guy is completely unwarranted, because he hasn't cost us a game and he's helped put our guys in great positions, not to mention being the 2nd leading receiver in 2 of the 4 games.

Give it a rest.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 10:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: ?

Ceej has played in 8 games in his career, 4 where he's seen more than 10 snaps (he had 6 routes run in 2015, from what I can find. The rest were pass/run blocking snaps). Where did you get 20 from? Now, if he started and played 67%+ of the snaps every game like Gresh, then you have a point, but one guy was the most NFL-ready and consensus best TE in his class (obviously didn't turn out that way), the other wasn't even top 10 (12th on TSX) and was far and away a project pick; I'm not shooting down the comparison, but you must be fair here:

At 4 games: Ceej- 22 targets, 10 rec. 144 yards, 0 TD, 54 Long
At 4 games: Gresh- 27 targets, 18 rec, 134 yards, 1 TD, 27 Long

Officially, as well, Ceej has been credited with 1 drop (I don't buy that myself; he should probably have 4 drops), but I can't fnd drop numbers for 2010.

Regardless, shitting on the guy is completely unwarranted, because he hasn't cost us a game and he's helped put our guys in great positions, not to mention being the 2nd leading receiver in 2 of the 4 games.

Give it a rest.

Geez, I just figured it might be fair to give Gresham some credit for playing right from the start.  Never mind. Uzomah is fine.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Geez, I just figured it might be fair to give Gresham some credit for playing right from the start.  Never mind. Uzomah is fine.

I never said that: we all know he needs work, bit he was an incredibly raw project, that played split out in a spread offense, while Gresh was a stud who played inline in a pro offense.

Aside from the position they're listed at, it's not a fair comparison.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Geez, I just figured it might be fair to give Gresham some credit for playing right from the start.  Never mind. Uzomah is fine.

b/c that worked out well for palmer and gresham in arizona under bruce arians. uzomah needs a real TE's coach. the Bengals don't have one. your carson love is simpling pissing most of us off at this point. he's not WINNING again! c'mon man.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I never said that: we all know he needs work, bit he was an incredibly raw project, that played split out in a spread offense, while Gresh was a stud who played inline in a pro offense.

Aside from the position they're listed at, it's not a fair comparison.

why is isn't it a fair comparison to the same position of TE? why? b/c you say he played in a spread offense? give us proof or stfu.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 02:12 AM)WildCat Wrote: why is isn't it a fair comparison to the same position of TE? why? b/c you say he played in a spread offense? give us proof or stfu.

You really must not follow this team then, because it was reported everywhere when he was drafted. What's with that language BTW? I didn't say anything wrong or piss anyone off.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/c.j.-uzomah?id=2552559

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2015/4/23/8484085/auburn-tigers-2015-nfl-draft-prospect-cj-uzomah

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/From-throwing-TDs-to-throwing-blocks/d44585f7-e09c-4350-ad16-50027d472e57

Last one is the best one.

Take your chipiness elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was better against the Dolphins. I haven't gave up on Uzi's hands yet, he ain't no Daniel Coates..

I realize Kroft is coming off an injury, but what happened here?  It is like Uzomah passed him on the depth chart?  How about mixing in some targets for both of them out of a two TE set?  That formation should also help the running game?  If Kroft is never targeted, he never has to be accounted for by the defense.

And where is my favorite play?  (If you haven't read a post in 5 years, it is the TE screen, that goes for 10 yards EVERY TIME THEY RUN IT)  I love watching a TE flatten a tiny DB.  The Bengals execute this play so well with their personnel (linemen get out and block well for it) but as soon as they get 10 yards, it goes back in the playbook never to be seen or heard from again for at least 6 games.

And I do love Hewitt getting a checkdown when he is lined up at FB....solid hands and good at moving the sticks.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't Uzomah play without gloves? They need to make him put a pair on....
Reply/Quote