Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can't keep doing this all year...
I agree we need a more diverse run game, but I just don't see it until the line improves.

Passing depends on the line a lot; running depends on the line entirely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 11:40 PM)Benton Wrote: I agree we need a more diverse run game, but I just don't see it until the line improves.

Mixon is averaging 4.3 through the first few weeks. The run blocking hasn’t been that bad.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 11:40 PM)Benton Wrote: I agree we need a more diverse run game, but I just don't see it until the line improves.

Nailed it.

Too many three and outs. Get some 10 play drives going and you'll see more Perine and Evans. It's not like Mixon is getting 30 carries a game. He had 21 after 4 quarters against the Vikings and then got 8 more carries in a rare 3 OT drives.

And one big factor left out in your 2009 vs 2012 discussion . . . Benson missed 3 games in '09 and Green-Ellis only missed 1 in '12. That's going to alter your 147-77 stat breakdown. 2009 was a run 1st game plan so 70 more attempts by the backups with three full games of carries vs the 2012 backups only getting one full game to fill in makes it a believable balance. I doubt anyone is rooting for Mixon to miss games to balance out the carries for the backups.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 08:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Derek Carr has the most passing yards in the league and is 3-0.
Kyler Murray has the 3rd-most passing yards in the league and is 3-0.
Matt Stafford has the 5th-most passing yards in the league and is 3-0.

Plenty of teams are passing it and winning.

Yeah, I know the yards were up, I was referring to attempts. Seems like Jameis had like 15 attempts in week 1, and multiple TDs. One was a bomb. Just something I thought I'd noticed, admittedly off my old age memory.  Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 11:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Misleading. 

Out of those 3 only the Raiders are running it less than 40% of the time (38% run, 64% passing). The Cardinals are are 44% run, 56% passing. The Rams are nearly the same with 43.9% run, 56.1 passing. These two teams are alot more balanced in their offense.

Of the top 5 teams with the highest pass percentage only the Bucs have a winning record. Highest percentage passing teams are 1. Bucs 2. Steelers 3. Jaguars. 4. Jets 5. Falcons.

Thank you, that's what I seemed to recall when perusing some stats.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 04:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, I know the yards were up, I was referring to attempts. Seems like Jameis had like 15 attempts in week 1, and multiple TDs. One was a bomb. Just something I thought I'd noticed, admittedly off my old age memory.  Cool

this is more about Mixons rushing attempt totals than the run pass ratio 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 11:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Misleading. 

Out of those 3 only the Raiders are running it less than 40% of the time (38% run, 64% passing). The Cardinals are are 44% run, 56% passing. The Rams are nearly the same with 43.9% run, 56.1 passing. These two teams are alot more balanced in their offense.

Of the top 5 teams with the highest pass percentage only the Bucs have a winning record. Highest percentage passing teams are 1. Bucs 2. Steelers 3. Jaguars. 4. Jets 5. Falcons.

Ok.
Well out of the top 5 most passing attempts in the league this year, all but one QB has a winning record.
1) Tom Brady - 141 pass attempts, record = 2-1
2) Derek Carr - 136 pass attempts, record = 3-0
3) Ben Roethlisberger - 130 pass attempts, record = 1-2
4) Josh Allen - 127 pass attempts, record = 2-1
5) Justin Herbert - 126 pass attempts, record = 2-1

It wasn't specified that "slinging the pill a ton" only applied to pass vs run percentage. It could easily be interpreted as yardage or number of attempts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 07:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok.
Well out of the top 5 most passing attempts in the league this year, all but one QB has a winning record.
1) Tom Brady - 141 pass attempts, record = 2-1
2) Derek Carr - 136 pass attempts, record = 3-0
3) Ben Roethlisberger - 130 pass attempts, record = 1-2
4) Josh Allen - 127 pass attempts, record = 2-1
5) Justin Herbert - 126 pass attempts, record = 2-1

It wasn't specified that "slinging the pill a ton" only applied to pass vs run percentage. It could easily be interpreted as yardage or number of attempts.

The one guy also happens to be the one guy in our division.

This has always been a division that needs more balance.

Cold weather, no domes, tough defense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Currently Mixon isn't being used too much, roughly 16 carries a week for now which is quite sustainable . Burrow isn't flinging 50 times a game either. They've been well balanced as best i can tell..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:36 AM)grampahol Wrote: Currently Mixon isn't being used too much, roughly 16 carries a week for now which is quite sustainable . Burrow isn't flinging 50 times a game either. They've been well balanced as best i can tell..

16 carries this week.

He was averaging 23.7 coming into this game.

And tbh, they probably scaled him back this week because Jax was stuffing the run, but hemorrhaging air yards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The one guy also happens to be the one guy in our division.

This has always been a division that needs more balance.

Cold weather, no domes, tough defense.

The Steelers won the AFCN last year while leading the league in pass attempts per game at 42.7.

Not saying we should abandon the run, but we can't throw away a half of football stubbornly trying to establish it, either.  It bit us against the Bears and nearly bit us again tonight.  It's also leading to a worn down and banged up defense.  Mixon came up gimpy tonight and he's the only viable RB we have.  The team needs to invest in a viable backup for Mixon in FA or the draft next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 03:06 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Steelers won the AFCN last year while leading the league in pass attempts per game at 42.7.

Not saying we should abandon the run, but we can't throw away a half of football stubbornly trying to establish it, either.  It bit us against the Bears and nearly bit us again tonight.  It's also leading to a worn down and banged up defense.  Mixon came up gimpy tonight and he's the only viable RB we have.  The team needs to invest in a viable backup for Mixon in FA or the draft next year.

...and the Steelers completely fell off a cliff down the stretch even last year.

Which continued into this year.

Not sure what you mean about last night. We started off with 16 throws to 5 runs, so I'm not sure how we really tried to force the run. I think it was the opposite. Jax' strength was their run defense, so we came out throwing.

I do agree we need a better backup. Frankly, I'd be combing through free agents now. Perine has been a disappointment. He's not running well at all, and poor in pass pro. We could do better off the scrap heap, most likely.
Reply/Quote