Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We could have kept Whit
(04-28-2017, 05:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The contract Whit got was very shrewd.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/andrew-whitworth-1388/

The Rams get a Top 5 LT for less than the transition tag. If his performance falls off the face of the earth the Rams can cut him after next season with only $5.8 million in dead money which could be split over two seasons.

The Bengals were idiots for not doing that deal.

Let's see how this season shakes out for him. I have a feeling he will be nowhere near top 5 this season. And just so you know, I love whit. I just think they made a sound choice letting an aging vet who was chasing money walk.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:52 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Let's see how this season shakes out for him. I have a feeling he will be nowhere near top 5 this season. And just so you know, I love whit. I just think they made a sound choice letting an aging vet who was chasing money walk.

Would you rather have Whit at the contract listed or start Ogbuehi? Because it doesn't matter how fast Ross is if Ogbuehi continues to play like he did last season.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Would you rather have Whit at the contract listed or start Ogbuehi? Because it doesn't matter how fast Ross is if Ogbuehi continues to play like he did last season.

I think in order to correctly assess if OG is truly a bust he has to sink or swim as a full time left tackle. There is no way they could chalk him up as a bust so quickly, considering they drafted him as their tackle of the future. Giving an aging whit another multi year contract would have stunted not only OG's potential growth but also the growth of the organization. They believe in OG's abilities and they have to find out what he really is. You can't figure that out at an unnatural position or on the bench.

I think throwing him into the NFL fire at an unnatural position was a terrible coaching blunder. So I really think him getting back to his position, being in an NFL offseason regimen, and getting a full camp and preseason will do wonders for him. I expect to see a much better player. He's hungry to prove it and I think he will. Time will tell.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:51 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: If they jettisoned Pac Man and LaFell.

LeFell is 4.5 Mill/year   Pac Man is like 8 Mill

They could have just put that money towards OL, knowing they were targeting a WR in round 1.

Boyd, AJ, Core, Draftee (Ross).

CB's:  Kirk, Jackson, Dennard, Shaw, Draftee

OL:  + Whit

I guess I am confused why they signed LaFell

The FO made it clear that there were guys who would be released to fit in Whit and Dre's salaries.  They did not have to cut them all because Whit refused to sign a matched offer from us.  Pat Kirwan stated that we offered same deal and he said no.

(04-28-2017, 03:59 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: He didn't want to leave.  

He wanted to leave, per Kirwan (see above).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:00 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Stop making sense! The tiny dancer doesn't like that!
"My new LT is a piano..."

[Image: th?id=OIP.4l_k-ZGeNNoKzDzUGFkqgAEsDI&pid...=242&h=162]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
In all honesty I think Whit didn't want to be here anymore.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 12:51 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: If they jettisoned Pac Man and LaFell.

LeFell is 4.5 Mill/year   Pac Man is like 8 Mill

They could have just put that money towards OL, knowing they were targeting a WR in round 1.

Boyd, AJ, Core, Draftee (Ross).

CB's:  Kirk, Jackson, Dennard, Shaw, Draftee

OL:  + Whit

I guess I am confused why they signed LaFell

I hear ya, but you have to understand that Whit was due for a significant decline.  It happened to Willie Anderson, and it would happen to Whit.  If Ced does at all what the Bengals seem to think he can do this season, they will look like absolute geniuses. 

Do I think Ced will be all they seem to believe he will be?  No.  But I am hoping it is much better than what I saw last year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear ya, but you have to understand that Whit was due for a significant decline.  It happened to Willie Anderson, and it would happen to Whit.  If Ced does at all what the Bengals seem to think he can do this season, they will look like absolute geniuses. 

Do I think Ced will be all they seem to believe he will be?  No.  But I am hoping it is much better than what I saw last year. 

I wonder if it will look more so with Goff being inexperienced.

WHit is used to knowing what his QB is going to do behind him, and getting the ball out quick.  WHill Whit have to hold his blocks longer and possibly get beat more as a result?  Intriguing thought, if I do say so myself.
Reply/Quote