Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We got outplayed most of the game
I disagree with premise of this thread.

If bengals were completely outplayed why was game tied with 8 seconds left.

O line got dominated and that and the awful officiating both cost us the game.

Those who are saying stop complaining about refs- how about one of you listing the alleged bad calls against Chiefs and then let’s compare with at least 6 or 7 really awful calls or non calls that hurt bengals all in fourth quarter.

Yes the last call on our young and really good D end was correct but how is that called but not the late hit on burrow in the late fourth quarter- just one of 6 or 7 calls I can list.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:39 AM)Reroka Wrote: Hey guys,

KC fan here, I wanted to say great game, I know your Oline was banged up before this game but I am happy that you all got out of this game healthy.

Much respect, you all have a great team and one hell of a QB. You all will be back here again and with that QB a SB is coming your way.

Thank you.  Congratulations
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
It's fair to say the Bengals were outplayed, but even so they hung around. They had a shot to win in the very end and for whatever reason didn't.

I had a nagging feeling about this game that I've had since the first time the Bengals beat KC. If you had to play KC 4 times, no matter how good your team is, how many teams would honestly say they would beat them in 4 of 4 matchups? Hell, take 4 cracks at the Texans and they'll likely snatch one from you at some point. We'd beat the odds for 3 games against a team that barely loses and it caught up to us.
Reply/Quote
I think it can be both, we were outplayed for the most part, and also were subject to extremely poor officiating. Sucks but just gotta come back next year stronger.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
I felt we got hosed at times, but ultimately I concede to the Op's sentiment: we got outplayed. A few things that jumped out to me:

- The defense didn't touch the ball.
- The pass rush couldn't get to Mahomes.
- Boyd injury and OL shortcomings stalled the offense at times.
- Our running game lacks burst.

It was a goods season, I'm disappointed with the loss, but props to the Chiefs for earning a W.
Reply/Quote
I can't believe we lost after Burrow's two picks got the Chiefs zero points and we got a TD off of what looked like a KC TD drive that featured Mahommes just football follies-ing the ball directly to us. That seemed like our Huntley over the pile botch that was going to get the sloppy W.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:16 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Please stop the bad calls whining. Both teams had questionable calls tonight. The Chiefs overcame them better than the Bengals.

Chiefs only had 4 penalties all game. What bad calls did they have to overcome? I didn't see a single bad call on the Chiefs, so they didn't have to overcome them.

Bengals had 9 penalties and also subject to a do-over on top of the 9 penalties. 

Major missed calls on the punt return and holding against the Chiefs OL. 

I guess when you want people to stop whining you are talking about the Bengals players and Bengals coaches and NFL analysts and commentators whining. Why was the obvious late hit on Burrow ignored? I've never seen him "whine," but he did on that play. A lot. I've never seen the Bengals coaches "whine" so much, but they sure did on the do-over and the push in the back on the 30-yard punt return. I've never seen Greenberg "whine" so much about one-sided officiating or Simmons "whine" so much about the officiating, but they sure did for that game.

Instead, Bengals fans are quick to blame the Bengals and give the Chiefs credit for "overcoming bad calls" when they were the recipient of the one-sided officiating that Mike Greenberg is "whining" about.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:44 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I felt we got hosed at times, but ultimately I concede to the Op's sentiment: we got outplayed. A few things that jumped out to me:

- The defense didn't touch the ball.
- The pass rush couldn't get to Mahomes.
- Boyd injury and OL shortcomings stalled the offense at times.
- Our running game lacks burst.

It was a goods season, I'm disappointed with the loss, but props to the Chiefs for earning a W.

There were plenty of blatant missed calls but I also agree the Bengals were just simply outplayed. They just couldn't get to Mahomes and when they did, it was a play that cost us the game and watching Germaine Pratt throw Ossai under the bus was unnecessary. You win and lose as a team.

I'm really heartbroken right now. They had a phenomenal season and although you can't really beat the Chiefs every time you play them, I really wanted this one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:02 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: They were outplayed and outcoached. Zac's play calling sucked ass.

And kind of shocked Lou didn't pressure Mahomes more than he did.

He tried early on but they just could not get there. I saw 2 blitzes that got blown up. They pressured him greatly in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:01 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Defense played tremendous from the second quarter on. Bengals just never got any offensive rhythm with the KC pass rush.  Scored on a short field on the fumble recovery and got fortunate to complete a fourth down on the throw to chase. Just a great play by him.

When they got out of the hole on the 3rd and long throw to Hurst late in the game they had plenty of time to mix in some short passes. Mixon ran for 7 on the first down and then they went for the gusto down the field twice in a row on really tough windows to fit the ball. I just felt they got really too anxious on those two plays. It turns out they really needed a third receiver to show up once Boyd went out of the game as Higgins and Chase were both doubled and Hurst had to stay in and block a lot.

I don't know about tremendous. They got no pressure all night.

The Mahommes fumble made the game appear closer than it was. Without that, we were going down 14.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:54 AM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals, one of the least-penalized teams in the league, were called for 9 penalties. The Chiefs were called for 4 penalties. And there was a do-over as well. One cannot ignore such a major impact. If they call the clear push in the back on the Chiefs, the clear holding on the Chiefs, Mahomes intentional grounding (at least Burrow had Perine in the area, Mahomes had no one in the area), we would probably be saying we outplayed the Chiefs this morning.

Much of the NFL world recognizes the one-sided officiating that game. Some Bengals fans are eager to blame the Bengals players and coaches and Bengals fans and ignore the huge discrepancy in officiating.

Our line was getting beat and holding. Chris Jones beat a double team numerous times.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our line was getting beat and holding. Chris Jones beat a double team numerous times.

Both offensive and defensive lines got beat. We win in the trenches and we lose in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:02 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I disagree with premise of this thread.

If bengals were completely outplayed why was game tied with 8 seconds left.

O line got dominated and that and the awful officiating both cost us the game.

Those who are saying stop complaining about refs- how about one of you listing the alleged bad calls against Chiefs and then let’s compare with at least 6 or 7 really awful calls or non calls that hurt bengals all in fourth quarter.

Yes the last call on our young and really good  D end was correct but how is that called but not the late hit on burrow in the late fourth quarter- just one of 6 or 7 calls I can list.

The Mahommes fumble. Wasn't caused by Bengals. Without that, we likely lose lopsided.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:54 AM)Nepa Wrote: Chiefs only had 4 penalties all game. What bad calls did they have to overcome? I didn't see a single bad call on the Chiefs, so they didn't have to overcome them.

Bengals had 9 penalties and also subject to a do-over on top of the 9 penalties. 

I guess when you want people to stop whining you are talking about the Bengals players and Bengals coaches and NFL analysts and commentators whining. Why was the obvious late hit on Burrow ignored? I've never seen him "whine," but he did on that play. A lot. I've never seen the Bengals coaches "whine" so much, but they sure did on the do-over and the push in the back on the 30-yard punt return. I've never seen Greenberg "whine" so much about one-sided officiating or Simmons "whine" so much about the officiating, but they sure did for that game.

Instead, Bengals fans are quick to blame the Bengals and give the Chiefs credit for "overcoming bad calls" when they were the recipient of the one-sided officiating that Mike Greenberg is "whining" about.

It comes down to fans either want to blame it all on the team or blame it all on the refs. The Bengals was bad in the last 2 drives, but the Chiefs was bad most of the 2nd half. The Chiefs did not come in clutch in the final minute. I can put blame on the Bengals and can put blame on the refs at the same time. The Chiefs can have bad drives but the Bengals can't afford that luxury. And in the playoff especially at this stage, the margin between teams are small. The Bengals was among the least penalized team in the league, and look at how many penalties the Bengals got in the 4th alone, look at how many non calls the Chiefs got away with in the 4th quarter.

Fans putting all the blame to the refs while ignoring problems with our team is bad enough, but fans putting all the blame on the team and defending the refs or NFL calling other fans whining, tell that to Chase, tell that to Burrow who was never frustrated with refs to this degree, and tell that to our coaches.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:54 AM)Nepa Wrote: Chiefs only had 4 penalties all game. What bad calls did they have to overcome? I didn't see a single bad call on the Chiefs, so they didn't have to overcome them.

9 penalties isn't out of the norm.
Reply/Quote
Yep.

The calls were bad and had a sizeable impact on the result of this game, but the biggest reasons we lost we:
Hakeem Adeniji
Max Scharping
Drue Chrisman
Sadly, Joe Burrow

Adeniji and Scharping are obvious. They got absolutely mangled by Chris Jones. That last sack was just Adeniji having his lunch money stolen. We knew the back up Oline was going to be a problem eventually, and they chose to struggle yesterday rather than 2 weeks from yesterday. They were not going to hold up against Philly's defense.

Chrisman is one of the worst hang time punters I've ever seen. It's been like this all season. His leg is strong enough to send it a decent ways away, but it always felt like we were eventually going to see a big return, and that happened at the absolute worst time.

And Joe...I mean, it's hard to put too much blame on him because of all the pressure he was under all day, but he threw 2 interceptions and I was left wanting in terms of his pocket mobility. Patrick Mahomes was outrunning defenders better than he was, and he only had 1 good leg. It didn't feel like Burrow had the magic in the pocket that he had last year, which is kind of confusing since he's further away from his injury. I definitely would have liked to see the pocket move a bit more yesterday.

One of the interceptions was essentially a punt, so that wasn't the worst thing in the world, but I sure wish, if he was going long on 3rd and 3, that it not be to a double covered Higgins. It felt like he was trying to play hero ball at times. It worked out with the Chase 4th down grab, but today it felt like he was relying on his receivers to make a play rather than finding the open man.

The refs are what is going to be remembered from this game because it truly was awful, but I think what the Bengals players are going to lose sleep over is getting the ball with 2:30 left in the game with a chance to take the lead and not turning that drive into points.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know about tremendous. They got no pressure all night.

The Mahommes fumble made the game appear closer than it was. Without that, we were going down 14.

They sacked him 3X and pressured and collapsed on him late in the 3rd and the entire 4th quarter. Totally different defense mid 2nd quarter and 2nd half.
Terrible offense early on gave the Chiefs lots of possessions with 2 FG's only early on. Defense was the only reason this team didn't lose by 20.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:22 AM)higgy100 Wrote: They sacked him 3X and pressured and collapsed on him late in the 3rd and the entire 4th quarter. Totally different defense mid 2nd quarter and 2nd half.
Terrible offense early on gave the Chiefs lots of possessions with 2 FG's only early on. Defense was the only reason this team didn't lose by 20.

There were so many plays where he could have read a book back there most game. It did improve in the 2nd half.

Get that pressure all game and we win.

Can't just play good 1 half...
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There were so many plays where he could have read a book back there most game. It did improve in the 2nd half.

Get that pressure all game and we win.

Can't just play good 1 half...

You think it's just that simple just to decide to pressure that kid all game long and be effective? First, Cinci. was damn near ranked near the bottom in DL play over the season when it came to sacks, hits, efficiency, etc.,. Secondly, it's not their strategy the entire game as it was to contain him in the pocket and make him make throws from there. Third,go watch the film as there were at least 2 blitzes that got blown up in the 1st half. Fourth, KC OL is as good as it gets. They got 2 ALL PRO OL and those guys don't give up squat. Lou made adjustments as he always does and that D played great football the last half.

That game was lost by the offense as they never got a rhythm, had some poor calls/execution as if they had never been in that position before and had absolutely terrible time management at the end of the 1st half when they had to settle for a FG. Should have come down there after the completion to Tee at the 5 and spiked the damn ball to stop the clock and get everybody on the same page. Less than 10 seconds to go and with no TO's and it's far more important to run 2 plays with everybody on the same page than it is to go up there and rush the next play as they only had one more snap before the FG anyways as the clock almost hit zero.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:43 AM)higgy100 Wrote: You think it's just that simple just to decide to pressure that kid all game long and be effective? First, Cinci. was damn near ranked near the bottom in DL play over the season when it came to sacks, hits, efficiency, etc.,. Secondly, it's not their strategy the entire game as it was to contain him in the pocket and make him make throws from there. Third,go watch the film as there were at least 2 blitzes that got blown up in the 1st half. Fourth, KC OL is as good as it gets. They got 2 ALL PRO OL and those guys don't give up squat. Lou made adjustments as he always does and that D played great football the last half.

That game was lost by the offense as they never got a rhythm, had some poor calls/execution as if they had never been in that position before and had absolutely terrible time management at the end of the 1st half when they had to settle for a FG. Should have come down there after the completion to Tee at the 5 and spiked the damn ball to stop the clock and get everybody on the same page. Less than 10 seconds to go and with no TO's and it's far more important to run 2 plays with everybody on the same page than it is to go up there and rush the next play as they only had one more snap before the FG anyways as the clock almost hit zero.

So our strategy was to not pressure Mahommes, but keep him in the pocket (where he dominated this year)? He voluntarily stayed in the pocket.

And you talk about how good their oline is compared to their drive?

But, I do agree the offense was a bigger contributor to the loss.
Reply/Quote