Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We got outplayed most of the game
(01-30-2023, 08:39 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We were outmatched in the trenches and it showed. Burrow under duress all game and Mahomes having all day to throw was the difference.

This. I don't understand how people that have watched a lot of football don't understand this simple, fundamental aspect of the game. If you lose in the trenches, you rarely win.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:39 AM)Reroka Wrote: Hey guys,

KC fan here, I wanted to say great game, I know your Oline was banged up before this game but I am happy that you all got out of this game healthy.

Much respect, you all have a great team and one hell of a QB. You all will be back here again and with that QB a SB is coming your way.

These KC games are hard on my nerves! Thanks for the kind words, you guys have a pretty damn good team yourselves to say the least.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: This. I don't understand how people that have watched a lot of football don't understand this simple, fundamental aspect of the game. If you lose in the trenches, you rarely win.

We got dominated in the trenches like we dominated the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We got dominated in the trenches like we dominated the Bills.

Exactly.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So our strategy was to not pressure Mahommes, but keep him in the pocket (where he dominated this year)? He voluntarily stayed in the pocket.

And you talk about how good their oline is compared to their drive?

But, I do agree the offense was a bigger contributor to the loss.

He does not normally dominate in the pocket. His greatest strength, as was discussed even by the analysts all week, is his ability to get on the edge and make his athletic plays and his running ability.Due to the injury, they also max protected him with another TE many times as well as having the best OL in football and that's why it's not so easy to get to the guy. Cinci tried like hell in the 1st half and everything got picked up, even a couple blitzes.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:32 AM)samhain Wrote: It's fair to say the Bengals were outplayed, but even so they hung around. They had a shot to win in the very end and for whatever reason didn't.

I had a nagging feeling about this game that I've had since the first time the Bengals beat KC. If you had to play KC 4 times, no matter how good your team is, how many teams would honestly say they would beat them in 4 of 4 matchups? Hell, take 4 cracks at the Texans and they'll likely snatch one from you at some point. We'd beat the odds for 3 games against a team that barely loses and it caught up to us.

Yeah, the law of averages got us as much as the Chiefs themselves and the refs. Going into Arrowhead and beating KC for a 4th consecutive time (especially missing 3 starters on the OL) was quite an ask.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - there were some questionable calls...but 0 net yards in 1st quarter. Burrow was under a ton of pressure. It seems like outside of deep 50/50 balls, our offense was just off. We had no run game either.

Also, on defense we looked slow with the pass rush and got very little pressure.

The Chiefs staff outschemed us. They got pressure on Joe and had coverage. They had a ton of injuries too.

It sucks, but man after Zacs rookie year if you told me within the next few years we'd go to and AFC championship game and a SB...I'd take it.

While it stings, night like tonight will make that championship sweeter one day!

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:54 AM)Nepa Wrote: Chiefs only had 4 penalties all game. What bad calls did they have to overcome? I didn't see a single bad call on the Chiefs, so they didn't have to overcome them.

Bengals had 9 penalties and also subject to a do-over on top of the 9 penalties. 

The ref crew had to hit their 13 penalties a game average, somehow.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:02 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I disagree with premise of this thread.

If bengals were completely outplayed why was game tied with 8 seconds left.

O line got dominated and that and the awful officiating both cost us the game.

Those who are saying stop complaining about refs- how about one of you listing the alleged bad calls against Chiefs and then let’s compare with at least 6 or 7 really awful calls or non calls that hurt bengals all in fourth quarter.

Yes the last call on our young and really good  D end was correct but how is that called but not the late hit on burrow in the late fourth quarter- just one of 6 or 7 calls I can list.

I think completely outplayed would be wrong, but I think the better team on the night won.

Felt to me as if we were chasing the entire game. Each time it looked like the Chiefs were going to pull away, we had something major go our way. The Mahomes fumble. The 4th down bomb to Chase. 

We had pretty big things go for us to keep us in the game, right at the points when it looked like it was getting away from us. We did well to claw our way back too, as well.

Agree the refs need looking into though. A horrendously officiated game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - there were some questionable calls...but 0 net yards in 1st quarter. Burrow was under a ton of pressure. It seems like outside of deep 50/50 balls, our offense was just off. We had no run game either.

Also, on defense we looked slow with the pass rush and got very little pressure.

The Chiefs staff outschemed us. They got pressure on Joe and had coverage. They had a ton of injuries too.

It sucks, but man after Zacs rookie year if you told me within the next few years we'd go to and AFC championship game and a SB...I'd take it.

While it stings, night like tonight will make that championship sweeter one day!

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Mahommes fumble. Wasn't caused by Bengals. Without that, we likely lose lopsided.

It doesn't work in a vacuum like that. You could just as easily say that if Burrow doesn't throw those 2 picks, they score 2 touchdowns on those drives. Even if they only score 1 FG, the Chiefs kick at the end only ties it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 12:05 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He does not normally dominate in the pocket. His greatest strength, as was discussed even by the analysts all week, is his ability to get on the edge and make his athletic plays and his running ability.Due to the injury, they also max protected him with another TE many times as well as having the best OL in football and that's why it's not so easy to get to the guy. Cinci tried like hell in the 1st half and everything got picked up, even a couple blitzes.

That's only partly true. He makes more plays outside of the pocket than anyone, but that doesn't make it more of a strenght than staying in the pocket. 

If you give him 4+ seconds on most down, in the pocket, he's going to find someone open and he has the arm talent to complete most of those throws. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

Two years in a row, with a subpar line, the Bengals don't recognize where the best player on the defensive line is lined up and make calls to be sure he's doubled. 

Maybe the third time will be the charm. Zac should have this written down in one of his journals by now. 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Two years in a row, with a subpar line, the Bengals don't recognize where the best player on the defensive line is lined up and make calls to be sure he's doubled. 

Maybe the third time will be the charm. Zac should have this written down in one of his journals by now. 

Minus 3 OL starters. They just got whipped

Reply/Quote
I think if JB doesn’t get sacked 5(?) times and harassed all day, we win that game by 10+

Our OLine was starting to play well the 2nd half of the season.

We knew KC would score points.

Had we had a decent OLine playing, we would have scored more.

As an aside. I also think our 2nd stringer OLine’s performance in the Bills game was a total fluke and the snow helped them.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's only partly true. He makes more plays outside of the pocket than anyone, but that doesn't make it more of a strenght than staying in the pocket. 

If you give him 4+ seconds on most down, in the pocket, he's going to find someone open and he has the arm talent to complete most of those throws. 

You're correct but he breaks the will of teams when he gets outside and on the run, making something out of nothing. Plus, staying in the pocket and pushing off on that ankle was something they needed to see before sending the house. They tried to get to him with 4 the first half and had 2-3 blitzes picked up but just failed. Knowing they had a couple new receivers plus the ankle swelling up and being tired so they were able to bring more and cause far more havoc in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
Burrow did not look right and had difficulties reading the scheme. He had similar difficulty against Ravens. I knew the Bengals were in trouble early. But missing 3 OL and cb1 would hurt most teams. Not just Bengals. They did well in the snow at Bills. Seems a lot of fans are hard on Taylor and Bengals, but they were missing 3 OL. With that said, I thought Burrow was finally getting in rhythm and Bengals would score on that final drive. I thought they were going to win the game. Bengals did not play especially well, KC was playing best of the 4 matchups. Still, I though Bengals were going to score on that final drive. Bengals are well coached, are a great team.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:02 PM)Whacked Wrote: I think if JB doesn’t get sacked 5(?) times and harassed all day, we win that game by 10+

Our OLine was starting to play well the 2nd half of the season.

We knew KC would score points.

Had we had a decent OLine playing, we would have scored more.

As an aside. I also think our 2nd stringer OLine’s performance in the Bills game was a total fluke and the snow helped them.

It wasn’t a fluke. They just didn’t have Chris Jones. He single-handedly wrecked that game.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 12:05 PM)higgy100 Wrote: He does not normally dominate in the pocket. His greatest strength, as was discussed even by the analysts all week, is his ability to get on the edge and make his athletic plays and his running ability.Due to the injury, they also max protected him with another TE many times as well as having the best OL in football and that's why it's not so easy to get to the guy. Cinci tried like hell in the 1st half and everything got picked up, even a couple blitzes.

Dude...I read and posted how insanely good he is in the pocket. He makes big splash plays outside the pocket, but his passer rating is way lower.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:02 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: They were outplayed and outcoached. Zac's play calling sucked ass.

And kind of shocked Lou didn't pressure Mahomes more than he did.

He brought pressure a lot, with Pratt and Hilton. They couldn’t get home. No one did. Their O line dominated ours in pass rush.

First pick absolutely needs to be D or O Line. I’m always “”pick best available”, but not when you’re this close. Our time is now. We need to win now. Don’t draft a starters eventual replacement. We have such a good team just need a couple more pieces and we can win the chip
Reply/Quote