Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
We have leader for RT in free agency....

Reply/Quote
It sure seems as though he's making his case for ending up in Cincinnati. He had the quote last week or so about wanting to beat the Chiefs when it really matters too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I made it about a minute into that “ticktock” (:lol:) and turned in off. It’s so funny to see the narrative go from Burrow should refuse to go to the Bengals because they’re a terrible franchise and they’ll ruin him, to but Burrow plays on a stacked team! I wonder if dude mentioned Joe going to a Bowl with the likes of Hakeem Adeniji, Isiah Prince, Trey Hopkins, and Quinton Spain as 4/5 of his OL? Surely he brought that up after I turned it off…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 08:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote:

Wanted him last year. I'll still take him this year.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 09:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I made it about a minute into that “ticktock” (LOL) and turned in off. It’s so funny to see the narrative go from Burrow should refuse to go to the Bengals because they’re a terrible franchise and they’ll ruin him, to but Burrow plays on a stacked team! I wonder if dude mentioned Joe going to a Bowl with the likes of Hakeem Adeniji, Isiah Prince, Trey Hopkins, and Quinton Spain as 4/5 of his OL? Surely he brought that up after I turned it off…
Only showed highlights of the receivers and his AFCCG INTs, but the roster is stacked
Reply/Quote
Jermaine Eluemunor was a hot name for the Bengals last season when people feared Jonah Williams would force his way out of the building because of the Orlando Brown Jr signing.

He ended up re-signing a 1 year deal with the Raiders, probably because he didn't get the traction in free agency he was hoping for.

He had a good year too. Nothing elite, but a 68.5 PFF grade is above average and would be better than what Williams gave us last year or the year prior.

He does seem to be a bit prone to penalties though, with 10 in 2022, but he brought that back down to 5 in 2023.

I would really like it if we could sign him to a 3 year deal to be our RT for the next few years.

He'd likely be fairly affordable (he only made 3 million last year, and he'd be a good deal even at twice that price), and he'd be good enough to stabilize the Oline so that we aren't forced to take an OT at 18.

We may still end up taking one at 18 if they're BPA, but it would at least give us options.

In addition to him defending Burrow on Twitter, he also has stated he wants to play for a team that can beat the Chiefs when it matters.

Quote:"You can call me a hater, I don't care," he tweeted. "I don’t like the Chiefs at all … We beat them this year. Yeah cool, but I want to beat them when it matters. Don’t care who comments on this players, fans, I don't care. Congrats to them for making another Super Bowl, but I hope I get the opportunity to beat you when it matters."

Well...is there any team in the NFL better suited to make that claim than the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
He was on my wishlist last offseason, I don't think we should pass up on a RT this draft, so any FA would have to be a 1 year deal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 01:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: He was on my wishlist last offseason, I don't think we should pass up on a RT this draft, so any FA would have to be a 1 year deal.

There are only so many draft picks though and what looks to be a lot of potential spots to fill.

If Bengals can find a good veteran RT in FA who can hold down the fort for 2-3 years, it could allow the Bengals to use those (early) picks toward other positions of need, which we know they will need to.

I think what no one wants to see is a 1st or 2nd rounder sitting the bench most/all of the year like in previous years.
The window is now and they need to get more immediate contributions.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are only so many draft picks though and what looks to be a lot of potential spots to fill.

If Bengals can find a good veteran RT in FA who can hold down the fort for 2-3 years, it could allow the Bengals to use those (early) picks toward other positions of need, which we know they will need to.

I think what no one wants to see is a 1st or 2nd rounder sitting the bench most/all of the year like in previous years.

I guess I think we have a lot of money tied up on the Oline and we are going to have to hit on some draft pics. Conitnuing to buy an Oline with the highest paid NFL player is tough. When there is a deep draft class at certain positions of need and premium positions, they have to take advantage of it. 

I'm not a GM obviously, but the pie Tobin loves to speak of, I'd like to see how much of the cap the Oline and Dline has / had (with Reader) tied up, and I wonder if that is sustainable as an ideal way to build a roster. 

We are going to have to hit on draft picks in this new era. Especially with 2 100+ million contracts on the horizon. I think the days of FA like we've seen since 2020 are over.

I'd also hate to see us stick with unproven players like Turner as starters because we've spent money in FA on a RT and passed on elite prospects in the draft.

I get using the draft for luxury picks, but with the transition of the roster we are set to see in the next year, now probably isn't the time. We are going to have to draft need when it isn't a reach and the prospect pool is there.

Oline is a boring 1st round pick, but it would be great to solidify the spot at a rookie rate.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess I think we have a lot of money tied up on the Oline and we are going to have to hit on some draft pics. Conitnuing to buy an Oline with the highest paid NFL player is tough. When there is a deep draft class at certain positions of need and premium positions, they have to take advantage of it. 

I'm not a GM obviously, but the pie Tobin loves to speak of, I'd like to see how much of the cap the Oline and Dline has / had (with Reader) tied up, and I wonder if that is sustainable as an ideal way to build a roster. 

We are going to have to hit on draft picks in this new era. Especially with 2 100+ million contracts on the horizon. I think the days of FA like we've seen since 2020 are over.

I'd also hate to see us stick with unproven players like Turner as starters because we've spent money in FA on a RT and passed on elite prospects in the draft.

I get using the draft for luxury picks, but with the transition of the roster we are set to see in the next year, now probably isn't the time. We are going to have to draft need when it isn't a reach and the prospect pool is there.

Oline is a boring 1st round pick, but it would be great to solidify the spot at a rookie rate.

Maybe I haven't invested enough time looking into the non-1st rounder OT guys, but I'm not overly confident they'd find an immediate starter at OT after 18.

What the Bengals cannot afford, IMO, is either:
1) Putting a rookie RT out there who is not ready to be solid-or-better from Game 1. We can't afford a learning curve throughout the year, as it could derail the season.
2) Using another 1st (or even 2nd) round pick for someone who hardly plays any offensive/defensive snaps as a rookie. Bengals really need to understand their window is now, not 3-5 years from now.
3) Dumping a decent amount of $$ toward a stopgap FA only for a rookie to overtake that player. That money could have gone toward another position in FA or gotten an even better player at another position.

They need to very calculated and deliberate in who they add in FA and draft such that they are getting the most out of all added players specifically in 2024 and 2025.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are only so many draft picks though and what looks to be a lot of potential spots to fill.

Drafting early based on position of need is a horrible, horrible strategy. It's what causes teams to reach ala Billy Price. 

We need to sure up our needs before the draft and take BPA like last year. Sign a quality DT, OT, and CB in free agency. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Drafting early based on position of need is a horrible, horrible strategy. It's what causes teams to reach ala Billy Price. 

We need to sure up our needs before the draft and take BPA like last year. Sign a quality DT, OT, and CB in free agency. 

In an ideal world, yes, that's the goal. Use the draft only for guys with high potential to develop into starters and boost the rotation/depth.
And they can do that, but only if they have enough $$ to do so.
They have to be smart and intentional with who they add.
Tagging Higgins will drop the available cap by almost $21 mill.

Why do they need to add a starter CB?
They have Turner, CTB, and Hilton as the guys.
Are you saying you don't want one of those guys to start, or don't one of them should?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In an ideal world, yes, that's the goal. Use the draft only for guys with high potential to develop into starters and boost the rotation/depth.
And they can do that, but only if they have enough $$ to do so.
They have to be smart and intentional with who they add.
Tagging Higgins will drop the available cap by almost $21 mill.

Why do they need to add a starter CB?
They have Turner, CTB, and Hilton as the guys.
Are you saying you don't want one of those guys to start, or don't one of them should?

I think we need a 4th CB - mainly for depth and to push Turner. I am still not 100% sold on him. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Drafting early based on position of need is a horrible, horrible strategy. It's what causes teams to reach ala Billy Price. 

Only if it’s a reach. You’ll find starting RT through the 3rd round this draft. Most certainly at 18.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:55 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think we need a 4th CB - mainly for depth and to push Turner. I am still not 100% sold on him. 

Someone like Sidney Jones?
Or someone better than him?
Maybe someone like Shaquill Griffin?

I think it's gonna have to be a budget guy if there's gonna be a chance they serve as a backup.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cornerback/all/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

This.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I haven't invested enough time looking into the non-1st rounder OT guys, but I'm not overly confident they'd find an immediate starter at OT after 18.

What the Bengals cannot afford, IMO, is either:
1) Putting a rookie RT out there who is not ready to be solid-or-better from Game 1. We can't afford a learning curve throughout the year, as it could derail the season.
2) Using another 1st (or even 2nd) round pick for someone who hardly plays any offensive/defensive snaps as a rookie. Bengals really need to understand their window is now, not 3-5 years from now.
3) Dumping a decent amount of $$ toward a stopgap FA only for a rookie to overtake that player. That money could have gone toward another position in FA or gotten an even better player at another position.

They need to very calculated and deliberate in who they add in FA and draft such that they are getting the most out of all added players specifically in 2024 and 2025.

Another factor (one folks will kill me for), is do they have enough confidence in Smith or Carman to start at RT at least part of the year while a draft pick develops?
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 03:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: Only if it’s a reach. You’ll find starting RT through the 3rd round this draft. Most certainly at 18.

Quality starting rookies at OT are usually found in the Top 15 picks, not even the entire 1st round.  Hoping to find a starter in round 2 is risky, expecting a starter any round after that should be considered grounds for firing.  There are always some exceptions, a player goes to the right team with the right oline coach..... but we are far from that.

As I said before, address EVERY starting need in free agency.  Also in free agency address clear depth needs with cheap vets that could be replaced by a rookie or an ascending practice squad player.  

This allows BPA to be taken in every round, this is how solid rosters top to bottom are built.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind Eluemunor. Steady option. I'd rather someone like Onwenu, tho. Arguably more upside and he might even come cheaper.

I'm also a wee bit weary of Raiders this year. Not saying the McDaniels saga was their fault- I have no idea what happened- but if you come from a dysfunctional (mutinous?) culture like that, whether you're directly involved or not, I just figure it takes awhile for the residue to wear off. We see ourselves as a SB contender and intangibles are everything. Just my 2c.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 03:42 PM)tms Wrote: I wouldn't mind Eluemunor. Steady option. I'd rather someone like Onwenu, tho. Arguably more upside and he might even come cheaper.

I'm also a wee bit weary of Raiders this year. Not saying the McDaniels saga was their fault- I have no idea what happened- but if you come from a dysfunctional (mutinous?) culture like that, whether you're directly involved or not, I just figure it takes awhile for the residue to wear off. We see ourselves as a SB contender and intangibles are everything. Just my 2c.

If we came away in free agency with Eluemunor and the DT from the Ravens, I'd be thrilled. 
Reply/Quote