Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We need a Strong Draft........
(02-19-2018, 07:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't think all that we need can be had in one draft.  I mean, even if they "kill it", there are still going to be holes to fill.  A great draft might yield what, two maybe three day one starters?  Add in a couple more "solid" contributors, and a few developmental guys.  And, that is if they really nail it.

What really needs to be done is some serious roster management.  Getting rid of a few "dead weight" contracts, signing quality FAs to satisfy a couple of immediate needs, AND the motherlode of a draft.

Couldn't agree more Sunset !

I know this has been said numerous times over the past several seasons and with much merit. But I think it's never been more true than now !!!

If this core group of players is going to have any chance as Bengals we need at a minimum a medium roster overhaul. We're not 1, 2 or even 3 players away IMHO. We're more like 4, 5, maybe even 6 away ? You can't any way in hell fix that in 1 draft, most likely not even two. Your'e damn lucky to get two quality starters out of one draft, three is a grand slam once in a decade or more kinda thing.

IMHO for this core group to have any kind of real chance (before it's to late) we have to get two top shelf free agents !!! A LT and a C, A #2 WR and a center, A LBer and a LT, whatever. I don't mean late week 2 of FA dumpster diving. I mean real quality in their prime FA's.

And like you say cut the dead weight, MJ, Adam Jones, Bodine etc. If they don't make some fairly big changes we're just around the corner from a major rebuild. Time is of the essence 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 10:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Couldn't agree more Sunset !

I know this has been said numerous times over the past several seasons and with much merit. But I think it's never been more true than now !!!

If this core group of players is going to have any chance as Bengals we need at a minimum a medium roster overhaul. We're not 1, 2 or even 3 players away IMHO. We're more like 4, 5, maybe even 6 away ? You can't any way in hell fix that in 1 draft, most likely not even two. Your'e damn lucky to get two quality starters out of one draft, three is a grand slam once in a decade or more kinda thing.

IMHO for this core group to have any kind of real chance (before it's to late) we have to get two top shelf free agents !!! A LT and a C, A #2 WR and a center, A LBer and a LT, whatever. I don't mean late week 2 of FA dumpster diving. I mean real quality in their prime FA's.

And like you say cut the dead weight, MJ, Adam Jones, Bodine etc. If they don't make some fairly big changes we're just around the corner from a major rebuild. Time is of the essence 

Have to make some moves that is for sure.

We will see come FA if all the fluff is just fluff or not from the spinners.
Reply/Quote
I'll believe that this club is serious about winning a ring when they sign Olinemen who can help them get there before AJ Green retires or moves on after 2020. Until then, they're just playing us for the idiots we are. LOL
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 10:23 PM)Shady Wrote: I'll believe that this club is serious about winning a ring when they sign Olinemen who can help them get there before AJ Green retires or moves on after 2020. Until then, they're just playing us for the idiots we are. LOL

Seems like they’re going to see if Pollack can fix what they already have first. Talk about a Herculean task...

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 12:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Seems like they’re going to see if Pollack can fix what they already have first. Talk about a Herculean task...

He has a giant weight on his shoulders.

Kind of makes me wonder why he took the job.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 12:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Seems like they’re going to see if Pollack can fix what they already have first. Talk about a Herculean task...
Need to watch some tape of the Cowboys' run schemes. Compare them to ours, which have looked lethargic since Paul A became Line coach. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I have to agree with what most people are saying.

The team (front office and coaching) need to get a lot smarter about how they evaluate, draft, develop, play and re-sign the players.

I don't see how one stellar draft can do the job needed. I'm more of the belief now that the team was just amazingly lucky in picking Geno and Dunlap at the spots they drafted them. Even a broken clock shows the right time twice a day.

Because the team sent Reggie Nelson packing and extended Williams (for more money) and re-signed Iloka instead, we are now lacking at the safety position and here we are hoping they can find a gem in the middle rounds. But we all know that they probably won't address the position until late and whoever they draft will be either inactive or on the practice squad.

Because the team drafted poorly at the OT spot and let Andre go first and Whit the year after that, they're now in a massive hole on both sides of the line. With Ogbuehi, Fisher, Smith and Hart all at the bottom rung of NFL OTs, the team needs two new tackles and preferably two better than average ones. That's a tall job for a team that considers free agency to be the work of the devil. Four low rung backup quality OTs do not equal two starting quality tackles, but somehow Mikey boy seems to think they add up that way or something.

Since the team let Marvin Jones and Sanu go it has failed to find anyone as good as Jones and has suffered through two years of below average WR play overall as a result. We've drafted WRs, but none of them have measured up so far. Marvin Jones will likely be done with his contract in Detroit before this team finally replaces him.

Look at the poor DL drafts the team had when it took Still, Thompson, Hunt and Clarke. None of those guys got a second contract with the team. This left the team having to go DL heavy in last year's draft.

The team continues to ignore how bad Bodine plays most of the time. He does have the occasional decent game, but those are few. Of course, we'll re-sign him for too much money and he'll continue to be a bottom rung C. Could have drafted a better one several times in the last few years and passed on them. We'll pass on better centers in this year's draft too. Just watch.

For the record, Ross didn't miss his rookie season, he just couldn't get it together enough to be active on game day. Ross is to blame and so is the team. The team either mis-evaluated him, didn't develop him right or he had a bad attitude or who knows what. In any case, he was a bad pick at #9 for this team. We could have and should have drafted someone who would have started and improved the team at one position.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 12:53 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He has a giant weight on his shoulders.

Kind of makes me wonder why he took the job.

There is nowhere to go but up, but was shocked he came as well. 

Agree with most everybody that a FA splash and great draft is necessary to get there this season. 

But do side more with Nate that it is possible and we do have good young guys coming up. Thought lasts years draft was solid players wise actually yet did not address needs adequately. 

But it will take a grand slam of an off season plus the new coaches not just stepping in without missing a beat but elevating us too. 

It is a lot to ask but still think it is possible.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We fully expect a strong draft this season so we've cracked a few windows open in hopes of a nice windy day . ~M Brown 
Yup, we can't lose now!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 08:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately true that if we think we are going to build through the Draft we damn sure should play those guys.

But i could see guys like Lawson, Ross, Willis, WJ3, Billings, Malone, Glasgow, Evans coming along soon.

These guys all have talent. They are just young and Ross, WJ3 and Billings all pretty much missed their rookie season.

Totally agree. My concern is how many of those guys end up slipping away because they're sitting behind guys like Pacman or not a big enough part of rotations, so we miss out.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 06:54 PM)corpjet Wrote: lets be honest we have ALOT of holes to fill this year............more than ever we are going to need some "kids" to step up.....

not to mention our last 3-4 drafts have been less than stellar and its starting to show on our lack of quality depth......and then there is the whole AJM debacle and now the need for a quality back up QB......

we all know we wont sign any studs in FA, so the draft is how we are going to have to do this......not to mention Marvin needs to change his ways about not playing/trusting rookies.......

one might say I'm very nervous!

Last year's draft was the strongest they've had since 2011. They got a RB with the looks of a future superstar, a pass rusher with a knack of getting to the QB, and a clutch kicker.

What more do you want?
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think you are forgetting about players progressing. One of Westerman or Redmond should be decent under Pollack.

Boling is atleast solid. I bet we bring back Andre who at the very least is solid depth at RT.

Jordan Evans should get better at LB who has great speed and length and can deliver the boom.

Our Safeties are not as bad as some on here claim and Fej and Brandon Wilson are young.

I honestly didn't see Westerman or Redmond play the last couple of games. So I can't say either way. I really don't like the idea of trying to make a guy who played guard all his life a center. I know Braham did it but all too often it isn't successful. Andre, meh....  Evans looks more like a WLB instead of being inside. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 06:54 PM)corpjet Wrote: lets be honest we have ALOT of holes to fill this year............more than ever we are going to need some "kids" to step up.....

not to mention our last 3-4 drafts have been less than stellar and its starting to show on our lack of quality depth......and then there is the whole AJM debacle and now the need for a quality back up QB......

we all know we wont sign any studs in FA, so the draft is how we are going to have to do this......not to mention Marvin needs to change his ways about not playing/trusting rookies.......

one might say I'm very nervous!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 07:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't think all that we need can be had in one draft.  I mean, even if they "kill it", there are still going to be holes to fill.  A great draft might yield what, two maybe three day one starters?  Add in a couple more "solid" contributors, and a few developmental guys.  And, that is if they really nail it.

What really needs to be done is some serious roster management.  Getting rid of a few "dead weight" contracts, signing quality FAs to satisfy a couple of immediate needs, AND the motherlode of a draft.

Yeah even if we kill the draft.  These guys will be rookies.... Some will fit in but most will take some time to develop to full potential.

If we get 3 eventual starters and a few solid roleplayers... (backups special teamers etc...)  it will be a good draft I think.   but them top few picks have to be on point.
Reply/Quote
I agree the Bengals need a strong draft. I think they need to draft at least 2 starting O-Lineman and a starting caliber Linebacker. I think they may fill one of those 3 needs. IMO draft the best O-Lineman available, and figure out where they play later, we just need talent and technique that is currently not there now. I don't think Nelson will fall to us, so I would be happy with McGlinchey and a dream scenario would be trading backup to take Billy Price. However that will never happen. The Bengals are also running into a season with Burfict, Rey and Vigil are your starting LBs? Need help there. I am also not sold on the Bengals options at Free Safety. Are Williams and Fedj serviceable? Sure. Play makers? Hell No.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 12:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]
…………………………………………………………..…the Big Red Truck !

For those that recall this ancient grade school joke.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Gee, I wonder if any other team will try to improve during the draft? I wonder if we will add depth but they won’t? Do you know what the difference is? They will also cut unproductive players and use the free agency to add quality players. Mike won’t cut the unproductive player because he may like their daughter or son. A third tier player or two will be added to satisfy the sheep just like every other offseason. The season always starts with an uphill battle. Less talent and an underachiever coach. There will be plenty of money not spent for future contracts. Mikes way of pocketing extra millions every year.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If ever there was a year to go with some wishful thinking, this would be it.  Both MJ and Adam Jones can be released with minimal impact in "dead money".  Even though it is highly unlikely, that is the perfect situation for an anomaly like that to happen.

I read an article saying they will probably keep Jones for his return skills and as another depth cb. Basically, saying he will be used primarily for returning kicks.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:00 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I read an article saying they will probably keep Jones for his return skills and as another depth cb. Basically, saying he will be used primarily for returning kicks.

6M seems like a lot for a punt returner and backup CB.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 6M seems like a lot for a punt returner and backup CB.  

It certainly is but he is MB's favorite for some strange reason. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote