Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need to find a way to draft Zach Baun and not Patrick Queen
The second round draft pick is clearly the largest point of contention for this draft considering that we are drafting Joe Burrow number one. While we still have needs on the oline, we are much more thin at the LB position even after our free agent acquisitions. Germaine Pratt shows promise as a WILL which has been coveted in the first recently (Devin Bush and Devin White and what will probably be Kenneth Murray), and Josh Bynes, from other fan accounts, is a decent Mike option in the short term. But we don't have a true SAM. Zach Baun is probably the best prospect at this position and from this film (Link) I am sold.

Patrick Queen's film, on the other hand, shows promise in pass coverage but does not make plays in the run that give me confidence he will translate to the NFL unless he is used situationally. This does not mean I don't think he will become a full time starter, but I am more confident in Zach Baun than Patrick Queen at this time.

Other prospects that are on the verge of the first that I would be equally happy to draft: Josh Jones, Lucas Niang, and AJ Epenesa.

Prospects that I would be happy with but we don't have as much need: Justin Jefferson, possibly Denzel Mims

Possible Trades: Carlos Dunlap considering we are transitioning to a 3-4 which is why I have AJ Epenesa above.

Players I have seen mocked but I don't want: Cesar Ruiz unless you think Trey Hopkins can move to guard, Austin Jackson - Ogbuehi 2.0, Grant Delpit unless he returns to 2018 form but good safeties seem to be traded/cut which tells me that good safeties are not highly value around the league so why spend a second rounder on one when we still have Bates. A strong safety could still be an option but I don't see any decent options at the pick.
Reply/Quote
To be honest I'd be happy with either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After watch some of the tape (not highlights) on both, Baun strikes me as being pretty close to slam dunk. He's good. Queen, on the other hand, has some question marks. If both are there at 33, I'd take Baun.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 01:24 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: After watch some of the tape (not highlights) on both, Baun strikes me as being pretty close to slam dunk. He's good. Queen, on the other hand, has some question marks. If both are there at 33, I'd take Baun.

Zack Baun is an edge defender...Queen and Baun do not play the same position.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 02:29 AM)Synric Wrote: Zack Baun is an edge defender...Queen and Baun do not play the same position.

Yeah, that's kind of my issue. Baun is an edge/OLB guy who can drop into coverage every once in a while. Queen is a true MIKE. I think they're both talented, but if you draft them you'll be using them for different purposes.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
I don’t think he makes a good WILL but I’ve said he would be one of the best hybrid players in this draft for lous defense. His intelligence is special, and if he can get on a team that will put him in different spots he can thrive
Reply/Quote
The ideal player at 33, in my opinion, is a guy by the name of Trade Down.

He goes to a smaller school, but I think he'll pay huge dividends in the long run, especially if he nets us a 3rd round pick in this historically deep WR class.
Reply/Quote
I agree. We need to find a way to draft Baun and Queen.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 11:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The ideal player at 33, in my opinion, is a guy by the name of Trade Down.

He goes to a smaller school, but I think he'll pay huge dividends in the long run, especially if he nets us a 3rd round pick in this historically deep WR class.

I agree with that too.

I think they should have a short list of players at 33 that they couldn’t pass up and if none or all of them are there they trade out of the pick
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 02:29 AM)Synric Wrote: Zack Baun is an edge defender...Queen and Baun do not play the same position.

I agree, but it's not like we couldn't use another edge guy.  Dunlap is getting up there and Lawson is in a walk year.  

I think Baun is a bit more than your average edge player.  He reminds me of a smaller Adalius Thomas.  Thomas was pass rusher that lined up just about anywhere and was a nightmare for OCs to plan for.  That's how I view Baun.  Yes, his best use is as a rusher, but he's more of a chess piece for the DC to mix things up.  

I would like him to be bigger though, and I'm with you on Dye.  Maybe we could swing Baun in 2 and Dye in 3.  Off the ball linebackers drop like rocks, so it's not unthinkable to imagine he'd be there in 4.
Reply/Quote
They play two different positions like others have said.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

True enough, but I never said they played the same position. I'm saying Baun is an edge defender who has the skill set and speed to cover guys as an OLB. From what I've read, he's very versatile. He won't be used as a MIKE. That's true. But Baun can still contribute toward improving our defense. We still need to draft a MIKE. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 11:50 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: True enough, but I never said they played the same position. I'm saying Baun is an edge defender who has the skill set and speed to cover guys as an OLB. From what I've read, he's very versatile. He won't be used as a MIKE. That's true. But Baun can still contribute toward improving our defense. We still need to draft a MIKE. 

Going to a 3/4 we actually need more of an Edge LB plus Bynes is going to play middle with Pratt
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 01:16 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Going to a 3/4 we actually need more of an Edge LB plus Bynes is going to play middle with Pratt

Agreed on Bynes, but what if he goes down?

As of today, we have

Bynes
Pratt
Jordan Evans and
Brady Sheldon.

That's 4 LBs.

Von Bell will probably be playing an LBish role, but even so, I predict that we'll take two LBs at some point in this draft. One is going to have to be able to play on the inside in case Bynes or Pratt goes down. 

Shaq Quarterman could a good pick in the 5th. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 01:51 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Agreed on Bynes, but what if he goes down?

As of today, we have

Bynes
Pratt
Jordan Evans and
Brady Sheldon.

That's 4 LBs.

Von Bell will probably be playing an LBish role, but even so, I predict that we'll take two LBs at some point in this draft. One is going to have to be able to play on the inside in case Bynes or Pratt goes down. 

I like  this guy a little better

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-wilson?id=32195749-4c74-7370-743f-2000a41bbeba
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 05:32 AM)pulses Wrote:  I like  this guy a little better

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-wilson?id=32195749-4c74-7370-743f-2000a41bbeba

Who? Quarterman? Yeah, even if he's only a 2 down LB, he's a damn good 2 down LB. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 01:51 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Agreed on Bynes, but what if he goes down?

As of today, we have

Bynes
Pratt
Jordan Evans and
Brady Sheldon.

That's 4 LBs.

AT 33 I prefer to draft a starter not a backup... also LB can move inside if needed... but yes we will draft 2 LBS  i believe also.. just outside backer hopefully with 33 pick 
Reply/Quote

As of today, we have

Bynes
Pratt
Jordan Evans and
Brady Sheldon.

That's 4 LBs.

The thing is, in a 3-4, you have 2 OLB's, who are really Edge defenders, in base.  The 2 ILB's are "stack" LB's like what we have traditionally had for years.  A point that keeps getting lost is that when a 3-4 goes into nickel, the 2 Edge OLB's stay on the field and it's one of the "stack" ILB's that comes out for the extra DB.  So you generally only play 1-2 "stack" LB's at a time instead of 2-3 and you only carry 4 on the roster instead of 6-7.  On top.of that, they are set up to play a lot of big nickel with a stack LB coming out for a 3rd S.  

Given lack of quality depth and contract situations, we need to get a stack LB at some point, however we are honestly thinner at Edge.  If it comes down to one or the other, the Edge should be the pick 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 02:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: AT 33 I prefer to draft a starter not a backup... also LB can move inside if needed... but yes we will draft 2 LBS  i believe also.. just outside backer hopefully with 33 pick 

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest we draft a back-up at 33, regardless of position. A second rounder should be a starter, especially at 33.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 02:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: The thing is, in a 3-4, you have 2 OLB's, who are really Edge defenders, in base.  The 2 ILB's are "stack" LB's like what we have traditionally had for years.  A point that keeps getting lost is that when a 3-4 goes into nickel, the 2 Edge OLB's stay on the field and it's one of the "stack" ILB's that comes out for the extra DB.  So you generally only play 1-2 "stack" LB's at a time instead of 2-3 and you only carry 4 on the roster instead of 6-7.  On top.of that, they are set up to play a lot of big nickel with a stack LB coming out for a 3rd S.  

Given lack of quality depth and contract situations, we need to get a stack LB at some point, however we are honestly thinner at Edge.  If it comes down to one or the other, the Edge should be the pick 

True! That's why I've got Baun as the #1 defensive pick at 33 on my big board. He's #3 overall, behind Josh Jones and Cesar Ruiz. But I AM seriously torn over it. I think Baun's a special player. I also think we need to be serious about improving the Oline for Mixon and Burrow. How many good RBs has this franchise wasted because of a sub-par Oline? It's sort of sickening when you think about it. Ced Benson deserves to be in a Bengals HOF, given what he did in spite of having Dlinemen and linebackers in the backfield almost before he took the handoff. 
Reply/Quote