Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're still not in good shape at LB. Any ideas?
(05-01-2019, 12:17 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We did.

John Miller was better than what we had at RG. Upgrade
We had Glenn and Kent Perkins on the roster at T. So signing Hart as bad as he is was an upgrade. 
We had Hardy Nickerson and ??? at MLB. So signing free agent Preston Brown was huge.
We had Shrek and Carter at TE. We signed Uzi and Eifert. Huge.

We had two late round picks behind WJ3 and Kirk at CB. We signed DD and Webb. Huge.

Our roster was not very deep and needed a lot of work. I really wanted guys that seemed to be clear upgrades. But Trent Brown and CJ Mosley would have cost a combined almost 34 million. We basically had to spread the wealth or even after a draft haul of 10+ players we would have had glaring holes on our 53 man roster. I still have a hard time filling out a 53 man roster after our draft. Quality over quantity in this free agency class would have been a bad move. I don't always view it like that. But I think things started to unravel here as ol shithead marv went off the rails. 

We have 10 draft picks who could all easily make the roster. And we didn't even draft a WR. Our top two WRs entering the year are in contract years. So having some money left over to spend on them is huge. 

Signing Hart to replace Hart was not an upgrade over last season, just status quo. Same is true for Preston Brown, Uzi and Eifert.

Miller was the only upgrade in free agency at a starting position. Webb was an upgrade to the 4th corner spot, maybe, but he would certainly have been a downgrade from DD if DD hadn't been retained.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 02:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Name one person who said that.

What people complain about is having $50 million at the start of free agency and walking away with no real upgrades. Teams that are coming off of a losing season (especially 3 straight) with $50 million to spend, tend to be way more active than the Bengals. No one says that all 32 teams upgrade in free agency every year.

Precisely. And I get Freds point that some teams have to lose quality guys for other teams to sign them.

We had enough cap space to go out and sign 2-3 clear upgrades and then some depth guys.

People rationalize the Hart signing saying that $16 million for 3 years is reasonable...but really he's a terrible starter. Why not put that money towards a guy that is a good starter? Even if our starting RT gets injured, you put Hart out there who you know is bad.

It really isn't even an insurance policy in that regard. Better off drafting a replacement.

The money spent on Hart, Webb, and Miller could have been used for an upgrade at another position, then bring back an Andre Smith as your 3rd or 4th Tackle.

Worry about depth once you have good starters. Rely on the draft for depth.

Now, here we are still with questions at Guard and major issues at LB still...
Reply/Quote
I really didn't mind the FA for the most part but giving Bobby Hart that contract was inexcusable no matter how you slice it.

Signing one clear upgrade in Roger Saffold instead of John Miller or Jordan Hicks to give a huge boost to the LBs along with bringing back our own would've been a great FA. and yes, Hicks may be injury prone but at least you're not banking on Pratt being a stud right away. History suggests that Pratt is at least a year away from being a true contributor.

Hell, I'm not really hot about our DE depth if Lawson struggles coming back from the ACL tear. We could've used some of the money we spent on Hart to secure Shaq Barrett.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:20 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I really didn't mind the FA for the most part but giving Bobby Hart that contract was inexcusable no matter how you slice it.

Signing one clear upgrade in Roger Saffold instead of John Miller or Jordan Hicks to give a huge boost to the LBs along with bringing back our own would've been a great FA. and yes, Hicks may be injury prone but at least you're not banking on Pratt being a stud right away. History suggests that Pratt is at least a year away from being a true contributor.

Hell, I'm not really hot about our DE depth if Lawson struggles coming back from the ACL tear. We could've used some of the money we spent on Hart to secure Shaq Barrett.

Then you did actually mind free agency...because your thoughts are almost exactly what mine are.  Wink 

We signed bad to mediocre guys instead of going for upgrades.

We did manage to keep guys like Eifert and Dennard. I'm not sure Eifert was worth keeping. He's just hurt SOO MUCH. Dennard was good to keep.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:20 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I really didn't mind the FA for the most part but giving Bobby Hart that contract was inexcusable no matter how you slice it.

We didn’t really upgrade anywhere this offseason. Just Jonah Williams but just like everyone else upgrades during the first round .barrett would have been solid pick up.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then you did actually mind free agency...because your thoughts are almost exactly what mine are.  Wink 

We signed bad to mediocre guys instead of going for upgrades.

We did manage to keep guys like Eifert and Dennard. I'm not sure Eifert was worth keeping. He's just hurt SOO MUCH. Dennard was good to keep.

You got me there. What I mean by "didn't mind the FA" is that some of the signings made sense. We didn't get to see the best of Preston Brown yet and losing him would've been a big blow to an already terrible position group. BW Webb as the 4th corner is fine but we would've had problems if he were our 3rd CB like we originally expected. Luckily the market on DD was dry so he came back. I definitely agree we should've let Eifert go especially if it looks like Sample is the new system TE for Taylor's offense.

What didn't make sense was that they didn't do more than that and they definitely had the money to. Unless they just plan on turning over the roster within the next couple of years so they don't really care about this season. But like we said a few pages back that means you completely wasted the primes of some really good players.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We didn’t really upgrade anywhere this offseason.  Just Jonah Williams but just like everyone else upgrades during the first round    .barrett would have been solid pick up.

We really never upgrade during free agency.  It's almost always even or a loss.  Best case they sign all of their young guys, worst case they let the good ones walk.

The only position we upgraded was RG through FA.  It's hard to expect rookies to be an upgrade, but I really expect Williams to be an upgrade wherever he plays, and that should have a ripple effect on the line.

Sample should upgrade the running game over Uzomah.  He's a better blocker.

Pratt should be an upgrade over last year's version of Burfict.  Worse case he's an upgrade over Nickerson and the others that were filling in once Burfict got hurt.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to assume that a new coaching staff will use these guys differently and that Lap is correct in saying the draftees were mostly team captains and worthy of their picks. I won't assume everyone will play as bad as last year. Some players actually learn from their mistakes and improve. 
Anyway, I'm not in charge of who starts and who doesn't and I'm not in charge of coaching these guys. The best I can hope is that the new staff has a clue how to do things as opposed to last year's staff..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Anyway that we can bring in Zac Brown, Jamie Collins, Derron Lee or even Bostic who was cut would be great moves.

Brown or Collins would have me ecstatic.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 04:22 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: You got me there. What I mean by "didn't mind the FA" is that some of the signings made sense. We didn't get to see the best of Preston Brown yet and losing him would've been a big blow to an already terrible position group. BW Webb as the 4th corner is fine but we would've had problems if he were our 3rd CB like we originally expected. Luckily the market on DD was dry so he came back. I definitely agree we should've let Eifert go especially if it looks like Sample is the new system TE for Taylor's offense.

What didn't make sense was that they didn't do more than that and they definitely had the money to. Unless they just plan on turning over the roster within the next couple of years so they don't really care about this season. But like we said a few pages back that means you completely wasted the primes of some really good players.

I think I'm there with most of that.

I'm ok with Brown. I would have also added LJ Fort. He signed so cheap with the Eagles. Even if he ended up being our 4th LB...Wow. Or you start him until Pratt develops.

Then, instead of Miller and Hart and Webb...I would have signed Saffold and Andre Smith. Miller has been in and out of the Rams starting lineup.

Williams/Saffold/Price/Boling/Glenn is a Top 10/12 offensive line. Then the backups would be Smith at the Tackle spots/Redmond/Hopkins. We may have even been able to sign Hart for a few million.

By not signing quality outside starters, it puts so much pressure on the draft and coaching.
Reply/Quote
I'd sign Bostic and tell him in no ambiguous terms, "WhatEVER you decide to do out there, DO NOT under any circumstances roll on a certain Rapistburger's knee. You can do whatever the hell you want to out there, just DON'T DO THAT." 
Reply/Quote
Id still think we could and should pursue a deal with the Jets for Darron Lee.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:49 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Id still think we could and should pursue a deal with the Jets for Darron Lee.

I thought about this toady.  The only reason i could see for not doing it would be it's only for one year since the Jets declined his 5th year option.

Either way, come May 7th, anyone that gets signed does not count against the comp pick cap.
Reply/Quote
Jets did not pick up the 5th year option on the contract of Darron Lee which was expected with the offseason move to get Mosley. Time for the Bengals to work a trade deal with the Jets to bring him over. He can run and cover and is coming off his best season of his rookie contract. Bring him home to play football!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:58 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Either way, come May 7th, anyone that gets signed does not count against the comp pick cap.

This is probly the soonest we see another signing. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:49 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Id still think we could and should pursue a deal with the Jets for Darron Lee.

Is Lee a WIL or Mike?  What was his substance abuse issues?  What would it take to get him?  I think he had his best year last year so he has to be better than some on this team but I am concerned about substance use.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Anyway that we can bring in Zac Brown, Jamie Collins, Derron Lee or even Bostic who was cut would be great moves.

Brown or Collins would have me ecstatic.

Zach Brown has signed with the Eagles  1 year $3 million

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is Lee a WIL or Mike?  What was his substance abuse issues?  What would it take to get him?  I think he had his best year last year so he has to be better than some on this team but I am concerned about substance use.  

He is an ILB in the 3-4 that the jets run, but in a 4-3 he seems like more of a WLB. I also no nothing of a substance abuse problem
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is Lee a WIL or Mike?  What was his substance abuse issues?  What would it take to get him?  I think he had his best year last year so he has to be better than some on this team but I am concerned about substance use.  

when was lee suspended to make you worry?

probly a 5th rounder but the issue is he needs a new deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:05 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: when was lee suspended to make you worry?

probly a 5th rounder but the issue is he needs a new deal.

I believe he was in a situation with one of his teammates where he had to be carried away by him because an arguement with his girl, think he also had to sit a game for being late to practice, the substance abuse thing (not sure what the substance was). 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote