Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We should be 4-0
I thought we dominated the game against you guys in week 3. Well only in the 5th quarter. We really should be 2-2 to be honest. That missed field goal was a huge break for us.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 12:05 PM)jason Wrote: I know this much.... Baltimore is a really bad team. That makes week one that much harder to swallow.

They are now....but like I always say about Baltiwhore:  Decent team, but depth is paper thin.  A few injuries and they are done.  That is where they are now.  

Unfortunately, we got them very early.  pitt got them after they were beat up...thanks NFL schedule makers!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  It's worthy of some early praise at least, and I'll forgive him if he only put up say...17 on the Bills. They do look like a good D so far. I don't expect others to be forgiving at all though. Especially if we lose.

I don't believe they will start the year 0-3 at home.  Buffalo has a really tough defense, and they are playing fast with a lot of confidence.  

The Bengals can win this one and with the steelers getting KC on the road during the Bengal's bye week, Cincinnati could be walking in to pitt 2-3 and the steelers could be 4-2. 

Win that one and the Bengals are 3-3, just a half game behind pitt.  Baltiwhore won't contend.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Beating a 1-19 over their past 20 games Browns Team has the homers thinking big.  Hilarious

Well, I am one that was, and still is "thinking big".  I think the line deserves a few more games before we totally dismiss them.  I am hopeful someone tries TJ Johnson at Center...even if just for a few series, with Hopkins back at RG.  Andre Smith has seemingly pushed Ced out of the starting lineup, and rotating Ced in is probably just a way of easing Andre in to game shape.  

If the offensive line can even be average, or serviceable, I believe the offense can excel down the stretch.  With guys like Kroft and Uzomah helping cover the loss of Eifert for a while.  Ross and (hopefully) Core getting more action.  Mixon and Gio getting more and more opportunities and Hill being relegated to goal line and short yardage.  AJ Green being AJ Green.   I think the offense can start a streak of scoring over 23 points per game and I don't see this defense yielding over 20 to anyone.  

Let's not forget that the 2000 Ravens team that won the Super Bowl had a streak of something like 5 games where they didn't score an offensive TD.  

No, I am not saying our defense is the 2000 Ravens, I am saying that a team with a really good defense will always have a shot and the offense could start figuring it out.  It is frustrating that they seemingly didn't figure out a damn thing in the offseason, but here we are, and it is what it is...Now, let's hope they get rolling and make this season one to remember.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 10:27 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: The offense really did do enough to win. The Defense couldn’t make a stop when they needed to.

I get what you’re saying; the offense sputtered in the second half. This is certainly true, but the defense did so more, if you ask me. And of course special teams played a role, too.

That's the thing about the Bengals typically in games against good teams and playoff games: It's death by 1000 paper cuts.

Things that are a strength somehow falter and they find a way to lose.

People point to Dalton being out for our last loss in the playoffs tot he Steelers, but Leveon Bell was out. And the Steelers ran the ball for 169 yards against us with 2 RB's that they signed off the street! We on the other hand rushed for 91 yards. We also had 4 turnovers. They had 2. The had more passing yards than us too.

Simply put, they outplayed us in that game. They led most of the game. But, even with all of that, there were a few opportunities to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and we couldn't do it. And fans lament what was a sure win. But statistical indicators all show the Steelers should have win.

The common thread with the Bengals is they find a way to lose. And usually new and different ways.

The long pass to Allison against the Packers shouldn't happen if you want to win in OT. 1 good half of offense isn't enough to win. You have to play well for 60 minutes.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, I am one that was, and still is "thinking big".  I think the line deserves a few more games before we totally dismiss them.  I am hopeful someone tries TJ Johnson at Center...even if just for a few series, with Hopkins back at RG.  Andre Smith has seemingly pushed Ced out of the starting lineup, and rotating Ced in is probably just a way of easing Andre in to game shape.  

If the offensive line can even be average, or serviceable, I believe the offense can excel down the stretch.  With guys like Kroft and Uzomah helping cover the loss of Eifert for a while.  Ross and (hopefully) Core getting more action.  Mixon and Gio getting more and more opportunities and Hill being relegated to goal line and short yardage.  AJ Green being AJ Green.   I think the offense can start a streak of scoring over 23 points per game and I don't see this defense yielding over 20 to anyone.  

Let's not forget that the 2000 Ravens team that won the Super Bowl had a streak of something like 5 games where they didn't score an offensive TD.  

No, I am not saying our defense is the 2000 Ravens, I am saying that a team with a really good defense will always have a shot and the offense could start figuring it out.  It is frustrating that they seemingly didn't figure out a damn thing in the offseason, but here we are, and it is what it is...Now, let's hope they get rolling and make this season one to remember.

That team had a great RB in Jamal Lewis. A HOF TE. A HOF LT. A really good offensive line. And an all-time great defense led by a HOF LB and a kicker that was 35-39 on FG's.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 08:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They are now....but like I always say about Baltiwhore:  Decent team, but depth is paper thin.  A few injuries and they are done.  That is where they are now.  

Unfortunately, we got them very early.  pitt got them after they were beat up...thanks NFL schedule makers!

Going into the game I was under the impression that we had the good fortune of facing "bad back and no game action for nearly 9 months" Flacco at our field.  Now that we lost that game I can see how the dastardly NFL set us up to fail.  Darn them.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 09:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That team had a great RB in Jamal Lewis. A HOF TE. A HOF LT. A really good offensive line. And an all-time great defense led by a HOF LB and a kicker that was 35-39 on FG's.

Agree with all but the bolded.

Ogden and Swayne were good/ok.

Mitchell was inconsistent.

Gs were terrible. The team gave up the 12th most sacks in the league, so just below average.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 10:45 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agree with all but the bolded.

Ogden and Swayne were good/ok.

Mitchell was inconsistent.

Gs were terrible. The team gave up the 12th most sacks in the league, so just below average.

Pass blocking average, but run blocking was where they made their money.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 10:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pass blocking average, but run blocking was where they made their money.

I can get behind that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 09:53 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That team had a great RB in Jamal Lewis. A HOF TE. A HOF LT. A really good offensive line. And an all-time great defense led by a HOF LB and a kicker that was 35-39 on FG's.

And they STILL went something like 5 games without scoring an offensive TD.  Do you get the point?   It isn't the one on the top of your head.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And they STILL went something like 5 games without scoring an offensive TD.  Do you get the point?   It isn't the one on the top of your head.

Yeah but they could actually run the ball and play ball control. That's not how we're built.

You're better than to resort to personal attacks too.
Reply/Quote
We should be 1-3. 0-2 was a result of terrible organizational management at OC and having an offensive line that was NFL caliber. We deserved those losses. Green Bay is just a straight up better team than us. We beat up a terrible team that is tanking and now people think we deserve more. That's not how it works. If we lost entirely based on the refs literally handing a team that game that would be fine. But we played how we played, and the organization made the decisions they did that set us back. It's on them
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:01 PM)eoxyod Wrote: We should be 1-3. 0-2 was a result of terrible organizational management at OC and having an offensive line that was NFL caliber. We deserved those losses. Green Bay is just a straight up better team than us. We beat up a terrible team that is tanking and now people think we deserve more. That's not how it works. If we lost entirely based on the refs literally handing a team that game that would be fine. But we played how we played, and the organization made the decisions they did that set us back. It's on them

Correct. Hindsight is 20-20.

This thread is basically saying that if we went back and changed all the things that went wrong we would have won every game.

That's like saying 'If I could watch the news and then pick the Powerball numbers I'd be a millionaire.'
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 09:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the thing about the Bengals typically in games against good teams and playoff games: It's death by 1000 paper cuts.

Things that are a strength somehow falter and they find a way to lose.

People point to Dalton being out for our last loss in the playoffs tot he Steelers, but Leveon Bell was out. And the Steelers ran the ball for 169 yards against us with 2 RB's that they signed off the street! We on the other hand rushed for 91 yards. We also had 4 turnovers. They had 2. The had more passing yards than us too.

Simply put, they outplayed us in that game. They led most of the game. But, even with all of that, there were a few opportunities to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and we couldn't do it. And fans lament what was a sure win. But statistical indicators all show the Steelers should have win.

The common thread with the Bengals is they find a way to lose. And usually new and different ways.

The long pass to Allison against the Packers shouldn't happen if you want to win in OT. 1 good half of offense isn't enough to win. You have to play well for 60 minutes.
This is one of the times I agree with you. Not only the Steelers playoff debacle but the same happened in the San Diego playoff game. You just sit back and wonder, how?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Correct. Hindsight is 20-20.

This thread is basically saying that if we went back and changed all the things that went wrong we would have won every game.

That's like saying 'If I could watch the news and then pick the Powerball numbers I'd be a millionaire.'

So True. 

If only Amir Garrett could go back in time, and execute his pitches better, he would have won Rookie of the year!  Forgot that he had a 7 ERA, if he was able to replicate his 1st start 20 more times, he would be amazing!

lolololol .  Our poor fans have been watching a loser for so long, they invent excuses and justifications and what if/conspiracies to help deal 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This is one of the times I agree with you. Not only the Steelers playoff debacle but the same happened in the San Diego playoff game. You just sit back and wonder, how?

You could do a deep dive of our playoff losses and our primetime games and it's a comedy of errors.

We find a way to lose.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 06:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: WOW! We were able to beat the worst team in the league so OBVIOUSLY that means we're going to go to the Super Bowl!  

You're not the first to say this, but I'm using your post as the one where I ask where has ANYONE said this? People need to settle down when you read something you don't agree with.

(10-04-2017, 07:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 1) Saying we should be 4-0 when we've legitimately earned a 1-3 record is the definition if wishful thinking.  Yes.  

2) I don't think you should be institutionalized, but you are saying a team that played like a 32nd ranked team for half the young season should have the best record in the NFL.  

1) Uh, no it's not. Wishful thinking is wishing something would happen. I don't wish we were 4-0. In fact, I'm glad we're not because I want Lewis gone at almost any cost.

2) No, I'm saying that had we had our current OC from the start of the season, we wouldn't have played like the 32nd ranked team. 

(10-04-2017, 09:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Silly thread is silly. We are what our record says we are. Every team in the league could play these what if scenarios. 

True. I only brought it up to spur a discussion. This isn't exactly the discussion I had in mind, but still ... mission accomplished, I guess.

(10-04-2017, 10:07 PM)section105 Wrote: Brutal truth.   Lol, WE SHOULD BE 4-0!

Based on what?

(Crickets) 

Try reading the OP again. Or any of my posts in this thread. If you want, I'll dumb ithem down for you if need be. ThumbsUp

(10-05-2017, 12:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This thread is basically saying that if we went back and changed all the things that went wrong we would have won every game.

No, this thread is saying if we went back and changed 1 thing, we would have won every game. Big difference. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2017, 12:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You're not the first to say this, but I'm using your post as the one where I ask where has ANYONE said this? People need to settle down when you read something you don't agree with.

1) Uh, no it's not. Wishful thinking is wishing something would happen. I don't wish we were 4-0. In fact, I'm glad we're not because I want Lewis gone at almost any cost.

2) No, I'm saying that had we had our current OC from the start of the season, we wouldn't have played like the 32nd ranked team. 

True. I only brought it up to spur a discussion. This isn't exactly the discussion I had in mind, but still ... mission accomplished, I guess.

Try reading the OP again. Or any of my posts in this thread. If you want, I'll dumb ithem down for you if need be. ThumbsUp

No, this thread is saying if we went back and changed 1 thing, we would have won every game. Big difference. 

We'll see. By your logic...we'll finish the season like 11-5 or 10-6 with Lazor in as OC. We'll see if that happens.  Hilarious 

By my logic, we beat a team that is 1-19 over the past 20 games and people are overreacting thinking we're some dominant offense with Lazor now.
Reply/Quote
Only two things needed to happen. Admit the offensive line is a weakness and try to legitimately improve it through FA and the draft, and realized Zampieceofshit sucks and should have been replaced as soon as last year was done.

It's so frustrating that if those two things happened we'd have a shot at being one of the best teams in the AFC. Whatever
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote