Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We were lied to yet again
Last year we were awful. News came out that gave us hope saying Lewis was leaving. We finish the year 7-9 and guess who is back yet again....True we made coaching changes but the truth of the matter is that we are still stuck with Lewis and Brown. Then Lewis comes out and says we are gonna be aggressive in free agency, now reports are coming out that they are only looking to spend $15 million. So we were lied to once again. Same old status quo....
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
A shock to no one.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, we already knew this would happen so it's really not a shocker. But, we aren't there yet so there's still a possibility they may surprise us with some really good moves. Hell, just the Pacman move alone was something I didn't think they were capable of doing. Regardless of that outcome, I'm happy with it and it does show a sense of aggressiveness. So really, nothing can be said until this all unfolds. However, if they do nothing more, it's not like the news will break the internetz. Mainly because it's expected.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 03:51 PM)Big Boss Wrote: A shock to no one.

Precisely. Did any of you actually believe that we'd be aggressively spending in FA?! If so, you are either highly ignorant about this  franchise or just a complete idiot. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 03:58 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Precisely. Did any of you actually believe that we'd be aggressively spending in FA?! If so, you are either highly ignorant about this  franchise or just a complete idiot. 

I didn't. But as I said earlier, we are not there yet. We don't know what will happen? We can hope that with Lazor and Austin in the background yelling and screaming what they need to make this thing work will fall on suddenly awoken ears. That's seriously our only hope with preparing for the season. Mike has to shut up and listen to his guys doing the job he hired them to do.

Reply/Quote
Maybe, just maybe we should wait until Free Agency opens to complain that we did nothing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

http://ninebuzz.practicalmusicianblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SadViolinPlayer.jpg

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe, just maybe we should wait until Free Agency opens to complain that we did nothing.

I agree with you on this, despite the fact that I've seen this scenario play out seemingly endlessly.  

Maybe something will be different this year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 03:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: Last year we were awful. News came out that gave us hope saying Lewis was leaving. We finish the year 7-9 and guess who is back yet again....True we made coaching changes but the truth of the matter is that we are still stuck with Lewis and Brown. Then Lewis comes out and says we are gonna be aggressive in free agency, now reports are coming out that they are only looking to spend $15 million. So we were lied to once again. Same old status quo....

What is the lie?

Numbers from a different thread:

Adjusted Salary Cap

$188,783,459

Subtract:

Active Contracts:
$152,106,135
Dead Cap:
$1,296,881
Draft Pool Cap:
$8,974,818
2017 Rollover:
$11,583,459

Remaining Cap Space= $14,822,166

The rollover is earmarked for extensions of current contracts, so looking to spend $15 is the same as spending what we have available.

They didn't lie, they were completely honest.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What is the lie?

Adjusted Salary Cap

$188,783,459

Subtract:

Active Contracts:
$152,106,135
Dead Cap:
$1,296,881
Draft Pool Cap:
$8,974,818
2017 Rollover:
$11,583,459

The rollover is earmarked for extensions of current contracts, so looking to spend $15 is the same as spending what we have available.

I think we are overpaying for lame talent. Dumping a few guys and renegotiating some contracts would benefit this team greatly.

Reply/Quote

[Image: SadViolinPlayer.jpg]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we are overpaying for lame talent. Dumping a few guys and renegotiating some contracts would benefit this team greatly.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement.

But there is a false narrative on the board that we have more room than we do.

The math is very clear about what we have left, and it equals what the team has stated.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement.

But there is a false narrative on the board that we have more room than we do.

The math is very clear about what we have left, and it equals what the team has stated.

Agreed. However, we can create more cash. It's all how you look at it I guess?

[Image: p1b95avvf11l7rjf8v6u1atfo7r5.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe, just maybe we should wait until Free Agency opens to complain that we did nothing.

Agree completely on this. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agreed. However, we can create more cash. It's all how you look at it I guess?

There should be a third guy yelling "Seven!" Cool
Reply/Quote
We all knew this would happen the second it was announced Marvin was re-hired. We really have no hope until Marvin is gone and there's no hope of that happening until Mike is gone (possibly longer if Katie is as delusional as her old man Whatever )

In short, we're f***ed. And yet, here we all remain. We are truly some of the most resilient fans in the world.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agreed. However, we can create more cash. It's all how you look at it I guess?

Exactly right as well. 

More cap room can be made with shedding role players or declining players easily and should be.

But it looks like they have made a step in this direction as well per what they told Pacman. 

Could do the same with MJ to free up more. Restructure or thanks and nice knowing you.

So am in the "wait and see mode" after the Pacman move which may be a historical change in the Bengals operation process. 

Sure hoping so anyway, yet not holding breath just in case. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:55 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Exactly right as well. 

More cap room can be made with shedding role players or declining players easily and should be.

But it looks like they have made a step in this direction as well per what they told Pacman. 

Could do the same with MJ to free up more. Restructure or thanks and nice knowing you.

So am in the "wait and see mode" after the Pacman move which may be a historical change in operation process.

Sure hoping so anyway, yet not holding breath just in case. 

I'd be willing to bet that pacman will be brought back... But I also would have bet anything that Paul Alexander would be back this year as well so what do I know? 

I'd love for this team to continue proving me wrong, because it doesn't happen often. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: We all knew this would happen the second it was announced Marvin was re-hired. We really have no hope until Marvin is gone and there's no hope of that happening until Mike is gone (possibly longer if Katie is as delusional as her old man Whatever )

In short, we're f***ed. And yet, here we all remain. We are truly some of the most resilient fans in the world.

………………………………………………………………………………Yep and applaud each Bengals fan for it.

It is not been an easy road to haul and those that are still on board are true fans in my book. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What is the lie?

Adjusted Salary Cap

$188,783,459

Subtract:

Active Contracts:
$152,106,135
Dead Cap:
$1,296,881
Draft Pool Cap:
$8,974,818
2017 Rollover:
$11,583,459

You keep re-posting these numbers as if they were true. Please stop spreading misinformation. Here's where you are wrong....

They have $152m in active contracts, but looking at the top 51 contracts (as in the only ones that actually count against the cap) they're at $146.8m.
(Your $14.8m now moves up to $20m.)

The $9m in cap for the draft pool requires other players to get knocked off of that top-51 list. So for every player that you add, you have to remove one, too. They have 11 picks. Even if you remove nothing but leauge-minimum players with 0 years of experience is $480,000. That is at least $5.28m coming off the books.
(The $20m now moves up to ~$25.28m)

- - - - - - - -

So even ignoring 100% of the rollover money (for God knows what reason), the Bengals still have roughly $25.28m.

Please stop spreading apologist misinformation as fact now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote